Thermostat Randomly being set to 2 degrees!!

switzch

I have been using my system for about 5 years now. In that time everything has been working great with the exception of a bad PLM about a year back.  I have an ISY994Z and an insteon thermostat and about 20-30 other devices on my network.

I have a problem that is causing serious headache.  Wife is not happy.  This issue has happened a few times now - what happens is that the Thermostat HEAT SET POINT is randomly being set to 2 degress C.  Far to cold!  

Below is my ISY log showing the issue.  In this example it happened at Wed 2017/01/11 12:33:39 AM but it has happened at different dates/times. I have no idea how to fix this. I have no programs or scenes that would be causing this. Help is appreciated.

Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Heat C	Status	On	Wed 2017/01/11 12:19:20 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Heat/Cool State	Heat On	Wed 2017/01/11 12:19:20 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Status	20░	Wed 2017/01/11 12:19:22 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Humidity	31%	Wed 2017/01/11 12:33:26 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Humidity	30%	Wed 2017/01/11 12:33:32 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Heat C	Status	Off	Wed 2017/01/11 12:33:36 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Heat/Cool State	Off	Wed 2017/01/11 12:33:36 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Heat Setpoint	2░	Wed 2017/01/11 12:33:39 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Status	20.5░	Wed 2017/01/11 12:34:23 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Humidity	31%	Wed 2017/01/11 12:49:30 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Status	20░	Wed 2017/01/11 01:08:25 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Status	19.5░	Wed 2017/01/11 01:37:07 AM	System	Log
Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main	Status	19░	Wed 2017/01/11 02:18:27 AM	System	Log

I gather this thermostat is out of the two year warranty period? If so my next steps would be to remove the device from the ISY Series Controller. Hard reset the device following the full users manual then add it back and monitor.

If it comes back you might have to consider a replacement - what model Insteon TSTAT? Also, what is the set points programmed for in this unit? I ask because one of the safeties should have prevented that from happening.

I can't even imagine what would happen if the TSTAT changed to 2'C while the outside was -35'C here!

I gather this thermostat is out of the two year warranty period? If so my next steps would be to remove the device from the ISY Series Controller. Hard reset the device following the full users manual then add it back and monitor.

If it comes back you might have to consider a replacement - what model Insteon TSTAT? Also, what is the set points programmed for in this unit? I ask because one of the safeties should have prevented that from happening.

I can't even imagine what would happen if the TSTAT changed to 2'C while the outside was -35'C here!

- Yah its over 2 years old, out of warranty :(

- Model is the Insteon 2441TH (Insteon Brand 7 day programable)

- The set point is changing daily via ISY programs. When in the house it's set to 21 (via a 'home' mode program). When we are out of the house the set point is 18 (again, via an 'away' program).

I will be taking it off the network and doing a hard reset tonight. Thanks. Hopefully that fixes things. I am in Toronto, so while its not -35 right now its still COLD outside and 2 degrees C is not cool at all!

In my log, the programs that change the temp are marked as programs. In this case the log shows the 2 degree change as a SYSTEM thing. Odd!

- Yah its over 2 years old, out of warranty :(

- Model is the Insteon 2441TH (Insteon Brand 7 day programable)

- The set point is changing daily via ISY programs. When in the house it's set to 21 (via a 'home' mode program). When we are out of the house the set point is 18 (again, via an 'away' program).

I will be taking it off the network and doing a hard reset tonight. Thanks. Hopefully that fixes things. I am in Toronto, so while its not -35 right now its still COLD outside and 2 degrees C is not cool at all!

In my log, the programs that change the temp are marked as programs. In this case the log shows the 2 degree change as a SYSTEM thing. Odd!

When you go to the help about what does the system say is the firmware and UI in use? Also, for the sake of doing I would create new programs which mimic the old ones.

Do not select copy by right mouse clicking to replicate those programs.

Once done, disable the old programs and let us know if this problem persists. Again, this assumes you also deleted the TSTAT, hard reset, and added it back. Lastly, to isolate the TSTAT you can just disable the programs and see if the temperature drops back down to 2'C.

If not then introduce the program(s) and monitor what happens . . .

If it happens with the programs invoked you have an area to focus upon. If it doesn't happen again perhaps the TSTAT was corrupted by a power event at the furnace. Just out of course I would measure the voltage at the C wire at the TSTAT and at the furnace to ensure the correct 24 line is present.

When you go to the help about what does the system say is the firmware and UI in use? Also, for the sake of doing I would create new programs which mimic the old ones.

Firmware: 4.5.4

UI: 4.5.1

Also, for the sake of doing I would create new programs which mimic the old ones

~Mode.Thermostat.Away - [iD 0033][Parent 000A]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Set 'Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main' Mode Auto
        Set 'Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main' 18° (Heat Setpoint)
        Set 'Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main' 24° (Cool Setpoint)
        Set 'Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main' Fan On
        Set 'Thermostats / 1st Floor Thermostat - Main' Synchronize Clock

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I can do that but its a super simple program. This program is triggered within a few diffent programs (ie. Scheduled, or based on a geolocation trigger)

Once done, disable the old programs and let us know if this problem persists. Again, this assumes you also deleted the TSTAT, hard reset, and added it back. Lastly, to isolate the TSTAT you can just disable the programs and see if the temperature drops back down to 2'C.

If not then introduce the program(s) and monitor what happens . . .

If it happens with the programs invoked you have an area to focus upon. If it doesn't happen again perhaps the TSTAT was corrupted by a power event at the furnace. Just out of course I would measure the voltage at the C wire at the TSTAT and at the furnace to ensure the correct 24 line is present.

I will try a disconnect/connect along with a hard reset and along with re-doing my programs.  Hopefully that fixes the problem.

This is a random thing. Its happened a known maybe 4-5 times over the last 2 months!! So frustrating.

Thanks for your help.

You have a discrepancy in the firmware vs UI this has caused untold grief and odd behavior in the past for many. Please down load the correct UI and ensure you properly clear the Java Cache and select all option box's when doing so. Doing this will ensure there is one less possible issue at play.

Archived