Multiple Accounts

barrygordon

Originally I had only 1 account and 5 Dots. 

I then changed it to two accounts, call them A and B. Account A has 4 Dots and 103 devices. Account B has 1 Dot and 27 devices.  The account B devices are a subset of account A with different spoken phrases.  All was working fine.

I then tried to play some music from my "Amazon Prime" account using the DOT in account B. It told me I couldn't because there was no "Amazon Prime" associated with that account, account B. Alexa wanted me to buy a music subscription for account B for $3.99/month, or a second Prime membership for account B.

I did some research and then determined that I should set up a household account under account A which has the "Amazon Prime". I did that.  I now have a household set up under account A that has account B as a member of the household. Music now works as it should.

HOWEVER:

The single Dot in account B will no longer recognize the 27 devices associated with that account with the simplified spoken phrases I had set up.  It will now recognize the 103 devices set up in Account A and the spoken phrases associated with them. The Dots in account A work with the 103 Devices I set up with account A.  It seems as if the Dot in account B is now associated with The "Household master account" which is account A.  Not what I want. If I look at the Alexa App under "Smart Home", all appears correct.  The single DOT in account B has discovered 27 devices correctly and the 4 Dots in account A have 103 devices associated with them.

Is this a bug in that the portal is associating the single Dot in account B with the Household as opposed to associating it with the correct account, account B? If it is not a bug what have I done wrong? To get all the capabilities I desire I need to use the household capability to get the music I want at minimum cost; and need to have a Dot associated with the spoken phrases of the account it is registered under, not the household account of which it is a member.  Will this be corrected? 

I have four accounts, two are set up as a household account. When I open the Alexa app for either household account, all Echo devices for both accounts are listed under Settings, but when I select Smart Home only devices included for the respective account are listed.

I do need to log into the appropriate portal account to create spokens. The only anomaly is the listing of the devices in both accounts. Other than that, everything works as it should. Spokens on one account are independent of spokens on the other account, music requested on one account is not reflected at all on the other account. In fact, although both accounts have several Echo device, only one Echo device at a time on either account will play the request.

Is that not like your experience? Am I missing your query altogether?

Perhaps I did not explain myself well.  I agree on the assignment of spoken and how they are displayed. When I open the Alexa app in account A, only the account A devices appear. If I open the alexa app in account B only the account B devices are displayed.

I agree that when setting up the spokens I must use the account to which the echo device is registered. 

Every DOT, in either account can play my Prime music. The Problem is when I go to the Dot in Account B and attempt to use any spoken associated with that account it states it can not find that device in my account.  If I use a spoken for device A it works fine.

It is as if When the portal logic attempts to find the spokens fora a given DOT and that DOT is in a household account it uses the spokens associated with the account that owns  the household account instead of the account to which the Dot is registered. This is no problem for the Dot's which are registered to the account that owns the household, but clearly wrong for a Dot that is in a separate account but a member of the household. 

Perhaps I need to redo the ISY portal entry for the DOT in accont B.  I had done that prior to assigning account B to the household.

With regard to your specific comments:

I do need to log into the appropriate portal account to create spokens.   I agree

The only anomaly is the listing of the devices in both accounts. I do not see that account A only shows those devices I set up in account A; and likewise for account B

Other than that, everything works as it should. Spokens on one account are independent of spokens on the other account . Not in my case. Only the spokens for the household account, account A, work. And the work on all Dots independent of where that DOT was registered

music requested on one account is not reflected at all on the other account. I do not know what you mean by this. When I request music it looks at the music in my Prime account, account A the household account owner, and plays it no matter which account the Dot is registered to

In fact, although both accounts have several Echo device, only one Echo device at a time on either account will play the request. I agree, same for me

I corrected the second point you responded to in a subsequent post, only the primary account shows all Echo devices in both accounts. But, the Echo devices in each account are totally independent here. If I ask for the light to be turned on in the bedroom (one Echo, one Dot), only the bedroom light turns on. Only the living room responds to the identical command if I'm in the living room (one Echo, three Dots). Voice commands are completely independent.

Are you sure each device is registered to the correct account? Settings, select the device, scroll to About.

• 3 weeks later...

The reason for multiple accounts is so that you can group commands, right? So if you have a kitchen and bedroom accounts, you can say "Alexa, turn on lights" and Alexa will trigger your portal to control the device. Is this correct? If so, how do you associate the multiple accounts in the portal?

Check the Wikki

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Amazon_Echo_Integration

I have not yet gotten it to work properly but I have dropped looking at it for a while. My issue is as documented in this thread.  I had it working properly for a short time.  There is an issue with more than two accounts and Prime.  I may just leave it with all the Dot's in one account.  What I wanted was three separate accounts, the Master bedroom, the Guest bedroom and "The House". The guest bedroom and master bedroom would each have one echo, and the house the other three.

The reason for multiple accounts is so that you can group commands, right? So if you have a kitchen and bedroom accounts, you can say "Alexa, turn on lights" and Alexa will trigger your portal to control the device. Is this correct? If so, how do you associate the multiple accounts in the portal?

Yes. While in the living room, if I ask Alexa to turn the light on, only the living room light turns on. The same command in the bedroom turns on the bedroom light. If I want to turn on a light in a room other than where I am, I need to specify which room.

The accounts are not "associated." Each additional account after the first is called a sub-account.

Archived