Does anyone have Elk + ISY integration working?

BryanE

Does anyone have Elk + ISY integration working? If so, can you please post your Elk bootware/firmware version and ISY firmware version?

Mine looks like this:

Elk bootware: 3.3.2

Firmware: 5.1.8

M1XEP bootware: 1.1.4

Firmware: 1.2.14

ISY 99i/Pro firmware 2.6.15

The ongoing problem I’ve had is that once I connect the Elk to the ISY lights go on/off randomly around the house and sometimes when you turn a light on it will immediately switch off or vise versa.

I also can't use a Rule to trigger an ISY light or event.

Working quite well for me. Same versions you have. Now on ISY 2.7.0

FTR, ISY-Elk will not work while you are connected to ElkRP. That has caused me trouble more than once... trying to test a rule and it doesn't work, then realize I have to disconnect from the Elk first. :roll:

I haven't had any weird or random lighting experiences. If the weirdness starts when you connect, I wonder if it's ISY-based stuff (based on alarm state, perhaps?), since the Elk can't control ISY when you're connected.

I haven't had any weird or random lighting experiences. If the weirdness starts when you connect, I wonder if it's ISY-based stuff (based on alarm state, perhaps?), since the Elk can't control ISY when you're connected.

Very strange indeed. This problem has plagued me for over a year.

I can control the lighting through the Elk web interface and eKeypad plus when the ISY is connected. I upgraded to 2.7.0 and still the random on/off lighting problem persists.

Since it’s obviously working for you I don’t know where to start troubleshooting. I've deleted all of the Elk rules but that didn't help. Should I delete everything in the ISY and start over?

I have been using Elk with the ISY for a long time. While I won't claim it is 100%, it is very close. Not sure if the few problems that happen are due to Insteon or something else. It doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about.

Regarding random/strange lighting issues, I had this start happening a few weeks ago. The ISY log did not track whether events came from the ISY or other web based programs. Michel was kind enough to add the ability to tell in the log whether the Elk triggered the lighting change. This was very helpful.

Based on this logging, it appeared that all of my random lighting was being triggered from the Elk. I to have eKeypad and have the Elk network ports open to the Internet. I changed the ports to something different than the defaults and also started using a secure connection. After this, it appears all of my random events have stopped. Not sure how traffic from the internet was specific enough to modify the Elk but I didn't have time to troubleshoot further.

Hope that helps.

I can control the lighting through the Elk web interface and eKeypad plus when the ISY is connected. I upgraded to 2.7.0 and still the random on/off lighting problem persists.

Since it’s obviously working for you I don’t know where to start troubleshooting. I've deleted all of the Elk rules but that didn't help. Should I delete everything in the ISY and start over?

Agreed: the Elk/ISY control works when using the web interface, just not when using ElkRP; just wanted to clarify.

Two issues, right?

1- can't use Elk rules to control the ISY

2- have random lighting that may relate to Elk

One seems like quite a problem. That should work without problems. I'm wondering if resolving that may have an effect on the other issue?

Now that there's some Elk logging in ISY, that's a good place to start. I'm not sure what logging is in the Elk for ISY.

You've deleted all the lighting from Elk and removed any other lighting control (like if you had a PLC hooked up)?

Almost immediately after I posted my reply last night, I had a light come on randomly. The ISY indicated it came from the Elk.

I have not found any logging on the Elk that will help with this troubleshooting. If anyone has ideas on troubleshooting the Elk side of Elk/ISY integration, that would help everyone.

As for Elk rules, the only issue I saw was sometimes the rule of turning on a light for a set amount of time doesn't always work.

As for Elk rules, the only issue I saw was sometimes the rule of turning on a light for a set amount of time doesn't always work.

I have not used that function. I wonder if it is problematic in the opposite direction? causing any "on" when it shouldn't?

I have not checked the Elk logs; they don't indicate lighting events?

Is the random light in any Elk automation / rules?

I setup one rule in the Elk and set the light to turn off after 2 minutes. I wonder if this has something to do with it.

OK, here are the results...

After ISY Factory Reset I added the following:

KeypadLinc v.29

Icon LampLinc v.24

SwitchLinc Relay v.2C

SwitchLinc Dimmer V.27

SwitchLinc Dimmer V.27

All links were wiped out by the ISY when adding each device.

1 Elk Rule

WHENEVER Front Entry (Zn 2) BECOMES NOT SECURE

THEN TURN Foyer [2(A2)] ON, FADE RATE = 0 FOR 2 MINS

I thought my gremlin was licked but no joy... the Foyer light shut off after two minutes and then it automatically turned back on for no reason. :evil: Screaming inside my head.

Bryan,

I am certain that the firmware version for ELK is the problem. You should be using version 5.1.4. This is a known problem that was confirmed to me by ELK and UD. After downgrading to the 5.1.4 and rebooting the ISY, I have had no mysterious lighting problems. I could not find the 5.1.4 firmware download on the ELK system so ELK sent it to me in an email attachment. If you would like, I will forward the attachment to you.

JT

Thanks JT, I just downgraded and I'll continue to test.

Can you confirm if the lighting timer works in the Elk Rules?

What lighting timer are you referring to? Are you talking the duration for a light to be on? I have had some problems with it but most of the time it works. Let me know if the new firmware fixes the problem.

Thanks JT, I just downgraded and I'll continue to test.

Can you confirm if the lighting timer works in the Elk Rules?

What lighting timer are you referring to? Are you talking the duration for a light to be on? I have had some problems with it but most of the time it works. Let me know if the new firmware fixes the problem.

Ok, good to know.

Thanks JT... reverting back to 5.1.4 resolved the problem. Someone should make a specific topic about this issue Sticky to keep others informed.

Wow! Just today!

=774]This post is where Elk acknowledged the problem and committed to a fix in the next firmware.

The notes:

Changes effective with this new firmware:

5. Resolved an issue with lighting and the Universal Devices ISY26/99 expanded time variable.

12. Resolved an issue with rules trigger based on an X10 signal (command) coming from an external source or the M1.

Archived