Unexpected 3 Way Results

JayC

The setup:

4x Dimmer Switches set up in 2x 3Way.  One set controls 3 pendant lights, the other is for the can lights.  

The problem:

If I turn on the can lights from the primary switch (hooked to load) it also turns on the pendants.  If I turn on the can lights from ISY only the cans come on.

If I turn on the can lights from the secondary switch, only the cans come on.

If I turn on the pendant lights from either switches or the ISY, only the pendants come on.

Thinking back on it, the day I installed these I want to say I did not have these issues and everything worked as expected.   If I didn't get the results I was looking for I wouldn't have bundled up the box and installed the cover.

One weird thing to also note is that I do not have the exclusive ability to turn on/off these devices from Agave, however I can dim them.  When I try to turn then off or on I get 'Failed to update device'

Troubleshooting:

Thus far, I have un-linked all switches and tested from a single switch configuration for both sets of lights. When un-linking switches I did find that I mislabeled the switches thus my scenes had one of each switch linked, aha that had to be the problem.  However, I received the same result after the scenes were deleted and the links were undone.

All of my the other devices are working as expected.

Any suggestions on what I can do further to troubleshoot this problem?

Start by completely deleting the two scenes involving all four switches (which specific switches are they?). Do two and only two switches control the two individual loads independently, one for the can lights and one for the pendents?

Reading the post, it seems to me that OP may have manually created links by cross linking switches, and not performing all the needed cross-links.

If this is the case, a scene should he created in ISY and then a restore performed on the devices.

Devices should not be manually linked when an ISY is in control...

JayC,

Regardless of what happened or how, you may give the advice from MWareman a shot. It might work and is less work than a full reset.

Your symptoms do seem to suggest that there are some residual scenes out there somewhere, somehow.

Solved:  Factory Resetting all switches fixed this issue.  Could the switches that I bought labeled new from Insteon's Amazon page be refurbished/used?  What are the odds of getting switches that were used and had prior links with one another?

Archived