Best options for Wi-Fi coverage improvement?

ScottAvery

Eero is also a product that requires a cloud account to work properly (at all).  The network configuration is stored in the cloud account, and the system will not boot or configure unless your Internet connection is up.   Designed for casual users, not many configuration options are available to tweak.

8 hours ago, asbril said:

BTW the Google Wifi pods allow me to easily move my ISY when it does not initially reach a new Zwave device. After moving the ISY near the new device, including that device and performing a heal, I can then move the ISY back to its usual location (and perform another heal).

That, for me, is one of the benefits of a mesh network setup.  While I am sure I can cover my house with a single router, I like having some Ethernet plugs (effectively, a switch) at other locations, and the satellite units provide this.  

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Scyto said:

based on my expirence with hardwired unifi wifi APs and the ubiquiti amplifi for remote access (yes i know odd) i would choose the amplifi mesh.

I looked up Amplifi and I find its Teleport very interesting

Whether you travel for business or pleasure, use AmpliFi Teleport and feel secure knowing you can still connect to your home. Watch your local programs and content, video call and connect with family, or check your smart home security. Teleport allows you easy access while you are away from the most important place – your home.

It’s simple: connect your AmpliFi Router at your home and take the AmpliFi Teleport device with you wherever you go. AmpliFi Teleport works with Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet setup.

17 hours ago, asbril said:

I looked up Amplifi and I find its Teleport very interesting

Whether you travel for business or pleasure, use AmpliFi Teleport and feel secure knowing you can still connect to your home. Watch your local programs and content, video call and connect with family, or check your smart home security. Teleport allows you easy access while you are away from the most important place – your home.

It’s simple: connect your AmpliFi Router at your home and take the AmpliFi Teleport device with you wherever you go. AmpliFi Teleport works with Wi-Fi or wired Ethernet setup.

yeah i backed it on kickstarter, i don't like i need the amplifi router for the teleport to work (i wish it worked with the unifi usg), i have the amplifi router in bridge mode and don't use the wifi.  It acts as a VPN end point. The teleport acts as a VPN client that a) connects to you hotel network b)creates vpn tunnel c) creates a protectedwifi hotspot 

43 minutes ago, Scyto said:

yeah i backed it on kickstarter, i don't like i need the amplifi router for the teleport to work (i wish it worked with the unifi usg), i have the amplifi router in bridge mode and don't use the wifi.  It acts as a VPN end point. The teleport acts as a VPN client that a) connects to you hotel network b)creates vpn tunnel c) creates a protectedwifi hotspot 

Thanks for the additional info. While I find the concept very interesting I don't think that I need this feature. To watch home TV I use Slingbox which gives me access anywhere to all the TV stations that I have at home and for my documents I have Dropbox. Furthermore I am very satisfied with my Google Wifi router and access points. Nevertheless it is fascinating how the technology keeps offering more and more possibilities. What is next ?

Just now, asbril said:

Thanks for the additional info. While I find the concept very interesting I don't think that I need this feature. To watch home TV I use Slingbox which gives me access anywhere to all the TV stations that I have at home and for my documents I have Dropbox. Furthermore I am very satisfied with my Google Wifi router and access points. Nevertheless it is fascinating how the technology keeps offering more and more possibilities. What is next ?

I have a slingbox hooked up to the tivo for when tivo won't let me remote stream, biggest issue was the bandwwidth in the hotels sucked so much even normal wifi wouldn't work, so the VPN wouldn't do any better.  I only got it as toy to play with 'easy vpn'.  I have no idea whats next, if i did i would have invested in the right companies :-p 

Archived