Connecting Schlage BE469 with IFTTT

Tim Wilson

Here’s an example of an integration I’ve been trying to wrap my head around. I’m new to the ISY community, though I’m experienced with technology generally. I can do some programming, but REST and other methods of doing HTML-based web hooks are relatively new to me.

The goal: I’d like to log each time my front door Schlage BE469 deadbolt is locked or unlocked with the keypad. The data would be recorded in an Airtable database.

Other background

I have an email notification working that’s tied to the Schlage lock. I get an email every time the deadbolt is locked or unlocked with the keypad. The email includes the user number associated with the keycode that was used as well as the timestamp.

I plan to use IFTTT to receive a web request from my ISY to trigger a new record in my Airtable database. 

If you haven’t seen Airtable before, I recommend you check it out. I like to describe it as the online database that Google should have built and included in their G Suite. Airtable has the ability to respond to IFTTT triggers.

Key questions

How do I generate a call to the IFTTT Maker channel that includes the user number from my Schlage lock and the timestamp of the lock/unlock event?

I think I might need to create an integer variable to hold the user number associated with the keycode that was used to lock or unlock the deadbolt. How do I set that variable from within the program that responds to the lock or unlock event? (I tried some things from within my email notification program without success.)

Will I need separate network calls for lock and unlock events? I think so, but I’m not sure.

Any suggestions?  Bonus points for working code! :-)

Archived