Nothing working in new home - Help!

rfrancis97

My ISY994i system worked great in my previous home a couple of months ago. We downsized to a home 1/2 the size and now I can't get the ISY/PLM to connect to any PL devices. It reads my motion sensors and water leak sensors, so I know the wifi part is working. But when I try to connect to an Insteon LED bulb or an On/Off Module, it fails with "Cannot Determine Insteon Engine" or  "Failed to Add Device, Reason 3". The devices I'm trying to connect are only a few feet away. I was able to connect to a bulb briefly once, but it disconnected and I can't connect to it again. I've tried two Dual Band Serial PLMs that were working before the move. The PLM and devices are plugged into their own switched outlets.

I tried to connect to a LampLinc Module which was an existing device in the list and got "Cannot Communicate With XX.XX.XX.1 (XX XX XX 1) Please Check Connections" and the Event Viewer shows ERR 1". This is what the event viewer shows:

Mon 06/12/2017 09:27:55 AM : [11 11 11    ] Added to list of devices to link to ISY
Mon 06/12/2017 09:28:16 AM : [11 11 11 0  ] Failed to add device, reason 3
Mon 06/12/2017 09:28:17 AM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices

Something else that's odd, but probably unrelated, I could no longer connect the ISY with Firefox because I got "Java 2+ Required" error which I never got before, so I had to switch to Safari.

Any ideas? Any place to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

Russ

Yes, I tried switching PLM to different outlets and I have tried the LampLinc in the same outlet. I have also tried Range Extenders throughout the house to no avail. It's a small house (1400 sq/ft). Everything worked fine in my previous 2500sq/ft home. The furthest distance from the PLM is only about 30 ft.

Something else that's odd, but probably unrelated, I could no longer connect the ISY with Firefox because I got "Java 2+ Required" error which I never got before, so I had to switch to Safari.

That's to be expected, as ALL browsers are removing the ability to use a Java plugin. Your probably updated Firefox.

Going forward, you should use the standalone admin console. Search the forum - there are TONS of posts about it.

I don't understand what you mean about switched outlets. Why would you plug the ISY or devices into a switched outlet?!

Disable all of your devices. Unplug them if plug-in, or gap them if in-wall switches (pull the little plastic tab). Start with ONE device that you have factory-reset. Factory-reset the PLM. If it is an in-wall device, it is convenient to put it on a zip-cord for test. Plug the PLM and device into a normal outlet - no power strip, no filter, no UPS, etc. etc. etc. Plug the PLM and device into the same duplex outlet, or outlets that you are sure are on the same circuit.

Once that works, next step is to establish bridging to the other leg of your house wiring. 

Sorry, I meant unswitched outlets. I do have a lot of other devices on the same circuit. I'll start as you suggested by disconnecting everything else and resetting the devices.

Thanks!

Do your devices work locally, specifically Switchlincs and Lamplincs.

Have you tried factory resetting the devices?

You mentioned you tried different PLM's. Did you follow the correct PLM replacement procedure? 

Did you do a delete modem, if you didn't DON'T.

Your PLM and/or Device link tables may be incorrect.

Archived