Black hole of communication

Michaelv

I have one switchlinc dimmer that loses communication with the ISY constantly. It is part of a 4 way circuit. The other switches in the circuit communicate ok. I have tried resetting the switch, restoring the switch and I have swapped it out with a new one 3 times now and I still get request failed when I try to add it to a scene. I was able to add it to one scene with the other 2 switch link dimmers after several attempts to do so. I can control it from the admin console and the other switch linc dimmers in the circuit. The strange thing is that this switch is surrounded by switches that work fine. Even the switch in the same gang box that shares the neutral with the bad switch works fine. I have moved the access point to various outlets directly under and to the side of the bad switch. No help.

Any Suggestions?

If they have different hots, they could be on different circuits / breakers with different noise / signal characteristics. At least that might explain what otherwise seems like it should work fine.

It's possible that the hots all go the same place but are not nutted together but the commons are, in which case it's the same circuit.

I will not suggest that you move to the same hot; I don't know what your wiring situation is. I can say that I have boxes with one set of hot/common/ground coming in with four loads leaving the box, so I know that is something that is done (and I've had that in other houses I've owned)(. In those cases, I've got four switches' hot nutted to one hot in with the load wires each going to the load. I hope that makes sense.

I can tell you that it is on the same circuit as when I turned the breaker off, the other switch went dead. I have the elcetrician coming next week to install more switches so I will ask him. If it is all the same to you and the electrician says it is ok, Would you combine the Hots?

MV

Archived