Voice Queries/variables

MPG

I use both an echo and a google home with the ISY portal. With the echo, I can ask "Is my door locked?" and it will respond. However if I ask "is the kitchen light on?", it says that's unsupported. But for google home, it's the opposite, it will answer questions about lights but not locks. Does anyone know why this is the case?

More importantly, it would be great if in a future version of the ISY skill, you could ask echo/home about variables. That way you could create a variable that tracks the states of all your lights and all your locks, and be able to ask "are there any lights on?" or "are all the doors locked?". In the portal there could be an option to mark if a variable is binary, which would translate a 0/1 value to a yes/no response, or non-binary, for use with a variable that stored a numerical value (such as "what is the humidity in the kitchen?")

I use both an echo and a google home with the ISY portal. With the echo, I can ask "Is my door locked?" and it will respond. However if I ask "is the kitchen light on?", it says that's unsupported. But for google home, it's the opposite, it will answer questions about lights but not locks. Does anyone know why this is the case?

More importantly, it would be great if in a future version of the ISY skill, you could ask echo/home about variables. That way you could create a variable that tracks the states of all your lights and all your locks, and be able to ask "are there any lights on?" or "are all the doors locked?". In the portal there could be an option to mark if a variable is binary, which would translate a 0/1 value to a yes/no response, or non-binary, for use with a variable that stored a numerical value (such as "what is the humidity in the kitchen?")

Google Home and Amazon Echo have a few things in common, but they have their own set of capabilities.

Google Home does not support locks yet.

Alexa's query capabilities, at least in the V2 API, are limited to thermostat (setpoint, mode, temp), and locks.

This is about to change with V3 though.

> More importantly, it would be great if in a future version of the ISY skill, you could ask echo/home about variables

This should already work with Google Home.

This is coming with Amazon Echo V3 soon.

If you are like me, you probably talk to your Google Home using "Alexa, ... " and vice-versa! :-)

Benoit

Archived