Quirky or Not? 2342-222 Keypad

KSchex

I am using a 2342-222 8 scene keypad to control 4 lights.  The keypad is set to the default, 8-Scene Toggle Mode.  Each button is associated with a specific program in the ISY, there are no scenes programmed in the keypad.  It has been and is working fine for some months.  Today I discovered an interesting quirk.  While the keypad is plugged into a USB to charge the battery, Button C sends the same code as A and Button D sends the same code as B.  If you unplug the USB charger everything is good.  Using any USB port or charger/cable will duplicate this anomaly.  Not knowing this could be very bad depending on what is being controlled.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is it only maybe the version 2342 that I have?

I've never noticed that, but I don't use a Mini Remote while charging. But, I see that as a major flaw if it's consistent. The reason being that the device is sometimes kept on a charger when wall-mounted. Anyone else have this experience?

Any USB charger - how many have you tried?  They are not all equal and some put out more high frequency

noise than others.

I have a LED  column sound meter.  With some USB chargers supplying it one or two LEDs are always on when no music is playing . Using a better quality USB charger = no LEDs on when no music is playing.

Some equipment does not care how noisy a charger is, others might.

Thanks all for the input.  Yes it is duplicatable.  I tried it again this morning.  It does it when plugged into:  several USB chargers (4 different units), my desktop and laptop.   I have also tried different USB cables.  This keypad is quite old and refers to V1 on the back.

I have since purchased another and it works as it is suppose to.  If this is not a design flaw than it is one nasty failure mode.  In my case it meant turning on all the house lights instead of just one.  It could potentially be a catastrophe depending on what is being controlled and not knowing what you controlled.

Thanks again....

I have since purchased another and it works as it is suppose to. If this is not a design flaw than it is one nasty failure mode. In my case it meant turning on all the house lights instead of just one. It could potentially be a catastrophe depending on what is being controlled and not knowing what you controlled.

Thanks again....

From your statement I think you have discovered you have a defective unit. Factory reset the unit and try again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks Gary...Been there done that. Spent a day trouble shooting going through all the Insteon girations and verifying within the ISY what I was seeing from the keypad.

Have you called Insteon for support? Otherwise I suggest you replace the unit since you don't trust it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Archived