ISY994i and the portal

silverton38

I am about to buy an ISY994i (not pro) and I want to use it with portal. Is there any restrictions other then the 256 devices?

I am gong to start using this over a buying a hub for small installs (10 switches or less). 

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have only ever bought the pro for all my installations (usually they are big). 

I am about to buy an ISY994i (not pro) and I want to use it with portal. Is there any restrictions other then the 256 devices?

I am gong to start using this over a buying a hub for small installs (10 switches or less). 

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have only ever bought the pro for all my installations (usually they are big). 

The only other things you will miss out from not having the Pro is disable battery writes. You may upgrade anything at your own pace and user needs as it arises. 

All version of the ISY are identical in size. Any ISY is adequate for a small installation. If your Insteon network grows, and it probably will, then as indicated by Teken, you can always upgrade. The ISY can be upgraded to the Pro on-line, so there's no additional expense other than the upgrade cost.

Disable battery writes turns off updating battery powered devices when doing maintenance tasks. That saves time because battery powered devices need to be updated one-at-a-time and be placed in linking mode and if they're not turned off then the ISY will try to upgrade them although they're not in linking mode. A minor, but time consuming annoyance.

What is disable battery writes?

When you restore a 2413S PLM the system will automatically try to write to all Insteon hardware in the network. The system does not write updates in order or any particular sequence. So if you have lots of battery operated hardware the system will attempt to write those updates three times. It will of course fail because it won't be able to talk to any of them until such time as you place them into programming mode.

But they need to be placed into programming mode one at a time . . .

With the disable battery write it takes all the battery operated devices off line and just writes to the hardwired ones. Which saves time and loss of hair on your head.

Great feedback. This is for an small office so no upgrade will ever take place. 12 switches only and one motion.

I used to do these small installations with the hub but I am fed up with it.

Placing my order now.

I would encourage you to wait for Black Friday as you will easily see 5~25% discount!

I would encourage you to wait for Black Friday as you will easily see 5~25% discount!

I have a customer that is upset about a hub install that I made a couple years ago. I do not want to put in a new hub so instead I am going to put in the basic ISY. They are not going to let me wait until Black Friday :)

I may buy a few units on Black Friday.

I have a customer that is upset about a hub install that I made a couple years ago. I do not want to put in a new hub so instead I am going to put in the basic ISY. They are not going to let me wait until Black Friday :)

I may buy a few units on Black Friday.

LOL . . .

What problem(s) are they experiencing? Is this to be done at your expense? If so, then why after two years? Two years the entire warranty for the Hub. Did you give them a warranty beyond that? Or are you just a nice person?

LOL. Thought about gettin into the install game but this makes it clear to me why I only do this DIY

Two years okay but can’t wait 2 days+??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been doing this for years. I am a small guy so I do watch my profits and cost of goods so that is why I did a bunch of HUB installs. I am now just sticking with the ISY because I can recover after a failure. Also I can control what the Google Home and Amazon Alexa listen for. That is a big deal in an installation.

Archived