IOLinc Sensor Debounce?

skydvrz

I am using an IOLinc to control and monitor my garage door. 

The problem is when the magnet moves close to the reed switch it closes and opens the sensor circuit a couple times before finally turning "on".  I can see the green light on the IOLinc stutter a couple times before going solid, indicating a closed door.  The stuttering is probably due to vibrations as the door closes - it is a heavy, hurricane-proof door and weighs a ton.

The problem is that the IOLinc sensor sends 3-5 open/close messages to the ISY before stabilizing.  This fires my door-status program multiple times in the ISY, sending numerous false SMS messages to my phone.  The last SMS is correct, but it is driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any clever programming tricks to inhibit the sensor-status program from firing multiple times?  I do need it to fire once when the stuttering is over.

I also need the sensor program to fire reliably if someone pushes the legacy garage wall opener-button or uses the car-remote.

Add a small wait (couple of seconds) before the notification is sent. And retriggering will cancel the wait and start the program again. Only the last trigger will get to the notification.

A side item. Using an iolinc to control the door is not secure. Insteon has not security, and it can be spoofed.

What kind and type of magnet sensor are you using? If you're using the cheaper white contact sensor I would encourage you to purchase and install this version: https://www.smarthome.com/seco-larm-sm-226l-3-magnetic-garage-door-contact-switch.html Going this route ensures the proper display on the Insteon KPL switches.

Lastly, every magnetic sensor has a specification for *Gap Distance* this needs to be followed to ensure the most reliable and consistent operations regardless of sensor in use. 

Archived