Cannot link Insteon Leak Sensor to ISY994i

jlloyd_UD

I have 4 leak sensors (Insteon 2852-222) and have had three installed for about a year. I have a fourth one that has been sitting around. It is a 1614rev2.1S version device. I have been unable to get it linked as a sensor with my ISY 994i version 4.6.2 firmware. I have tried many ways to do it to no avail. It blinks as if it is in linking mode but when I try to link from the admin console the linking application for New Insteon device just closes and nothing results. I have done factory resets also. The linking blink state expires with no link ever materializes on the console. I have a fairly large number of dual devices and signal extenders so I do not believe it is a weak signal problem. How do I determine if there is any radio signal? I have had one diagnostic return Leak sensor V00 Cannot determine Insteon engine.

Per the suggestion of Tfitzpatri8 I linked it to a switch relay and the relay of a keypadlinc. Both responded instantly to the pressing of the leak detector set switch. I suspect that shows that the transmitter on the detector works OK.  Now to understand why it is not linking with the ISY. 

Ok, you were able to link manually. That suggests the the Leak Sensor is fine. Are you entering the hexadecimal pairs with a period between each pair? Have you double checked the ID? B and 8 are often difficult to distinguish. There's a numeric zero, but not the letter O.

It is unusual for me with all of my modules but all three hex numbers do not have any letters in them whatsoever.  All 6 are numerals.  There is an 8 but it does not look like an B.  The letter O does not appear in hex numbers and I know that. I tried once using no dots/periods but the console rejected that as an improperly formed number.  I actually saw a post somewhere where it said that the periods are not necessary... wrong.

My 7-page owner's manual (rev 10/28/2013) is completely silent about the ISY controller; it says to use my tablet or smartphone to link to the hub. I have no hub; I have an ISY 994i/IR Pro controller. So I use what I believe I have used in the past from the UD administrative console.  I use the drop-down menu from Link Management and "add a new Insteon device" option. In the pop-up menu, I put the 3 pair hex number separated by periods, a device name and the device type (in the case of the leak sensor it is a 10.8, Insteon 2852-222 leak sensor).  The pop-up window is then overlaid by another which says to put the sensor in comm mode.  I press the set button on the sensor until the sensor blinks green (there seem to be two levels of blink as when I press and hold the set button the second time it goes into a different cadence.  I use that slower cadence to unset the link with my responders after the test to demonstrate the radio signal works directly with my dual-band devices.  I have tested these two blinking cadences and they both work... one blinking rate sets the link and the other removes the link).  Back to the linking of the ISY... I respond "OK" to the pop-up advice which drops me back to the add new Insteon device window.  I select one of the three radio buttons (I have tried them all) and I get another pop-up warning that says it will take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes depending on complexity and it says it might be best to run it overnight if a very complex set up.  I do not believe my set up is complex and have never waited for more than the 2 minutes for a link.  At this point, it seems there is no action I can take from the link management menu.  I hit "enter" and the pop-up window disappears. I have waited minutes with no results and I have used the link management option.  That is, I then can open link management and open "Start linking" and the screen says linking in progress in a pop-up screen but it repeats the advice to put the sensor in set linking mode and gives me three radio button choices again with a button "finish" on the bottom of the pop-up.  I think this is the circular arrow icon to which you are referring but the arrows are static and not rotating.   I hit finish and wait.  The sensor blinking light will time out after a few minutes and I check the list of devices and nothing will have been added.  In other words, during what I consider the linking process time there is no indication on the screen that the administrative console is doing anything.  No feedback.  The sensor keeps blinks for a fixed time and then stops with no link shown.  I have tried these steps in various combinations and all have ended up with the sensor not being added to my console.  Sorry for the step by step but nowhere can I find a definitive process for linking to an ISY. The owner's manual I have says to use my tablet and my hub.  I wish I could recall how I linked the other three.

The owners manual will not say anything about an ISY controller. It is not their product.

The manual is giving manual linking or when used by a HUB instructions.

Holding the Set Button for the second time. Starts the unlink function in the module. Indicated by the different LED flash.

You indicated you have a PRO model.

Is the Automatic Writes to Battery Devices enabled? I have had some strangeness if it was not enabled when adding a battery operated module.

The owners manual will not say anything about an ISY controller. It is not their product.  The manual is giving manual linking or when used by a HUB instructions.

I knew that Insteon and UD were separate entities but never realized that the instructions had not incorporated the explicit instruction for linking to a UD controller.  Thanks.  I learned something and understand why it is not there now.

Holding the Set Button for the second time. Starts the unlink function in the module. Indicated by the different LED flash.   

Yes, that is how I was able to unlink my responders when I did my radio signal test.

You indicated you have a PRO model.

According to the "Help" "About" command in my Admin Console it is identified as an ISY 994i/IR PRO controller.

Is the Automatic Writes to Battery Devices enabled?

Yes, I have the auto writes to batttery devices toggked to the enabled mode.

I apologize to all for posting this problem  I actually have three leak sensors (not 4 as I thought) and this one had already been commissioned and I had removed it from its placement and apparently, I forgot about it.  The way I detected it was to turn on the "tools" "log" while trying to link and learned that the sensor was already listed in the inventory and the linking process was aborted! Sure enough, it was listed under a different name and I did not bother to look at its coded identity. (the three pairs of numbers).  I desired to place this sensor in another location so I renamed the device after I figured this out.  I hope at least this will serve as a means for others to figure out how to extricate themselves from a problem when it was never really a problem to start.  My face is a little red. :oops:  :oops:

Smokegrub, I hear you.  I am 2 years your junior and this technology is great if you have been brought up with it.  I am an old Fortran programmer and the programs for the Admin Console are a little esoteric.  I can usually get things to work but it is a struggle.  By the way, Alexa Echo seems to lack knowledge for advising how to network Insteon and UD ISY although now I have the portal turning off and on my lights and running my ceiling fans.  All since Christmas! It was not without a great deal of frustration though and, like you, keeping the voice commands straight is also a struggle.

Smokegrub, I hear you.  I am 2 years your junior and this technology is great if you have been brought up with it.  I am an old Fortran programmer and the programs for the Admin Console are a little esoteric.  I can usually get things to work but it is a struggle.  By the way, Alexa Echo seems to lack knowledge for advising how to network Insteon and UD ISY although now I have the portal turning off and on my lights and running my ceiling fans.  All since Christmas! It was not without a great deal of frustration though and, like you, keeping the voice commands straight is also a struggle.

Please be aware that the folks at this forum have been very generous in helping me along the way. The UDI folk are equally amazing. They are the first company I have ever dealt with who are so willing to support and educate their customers.

Nice to know there is a fellow Virginian here.

Have fun, I am.

Smokegrub,  I am having fun but there are only so many hours in the day!  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the contributors on SH and UD forums that have given me help even when I pose bogus problems.  I am digging out as much background on these leak detectors in order to learn how to set up an emergency light flashing when one senses water. I have a simple program that I can test to set it to blink but it seems not to fire off reliably with a button test. I had one work last year in a real leak situation but seem not to be able to emulate it again.  I also want to learn how to receive email warnings from my sensors.  All in good time I suppose.  Is there a manual (ISY programming for Dummies perhaps) somewhere that I can use to learn the basics?

Yes, I am aware of and have used the WiKi you are referencing.  It enabled me to write some of the simple programs I have written but it does not go anywhere in the depth necessary to understand yet the discussion I have read at this forum discussion https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/11566-leak-sensors-a-suggested-complete-program-package/ I will continue to try to reference this discussion to see if I can figure it out.  The wiKi has far better information for the hardware.  I need to learn how to develop the variables and piece them together in a program to trigger the program actions.  Thanks for your note.

Smokegrub,  I am having fun but there are only so many hours in the day!  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the contributors on SH and UD forums that have given me help even when I pose bogus problems.  I am digging out as much background on these leak detectors in order to learn how to set up an emergency light flashing when one senses water. I have a simple program that I can test to set it to blink but it seems not to fire off reliably with a button test. I had one work last year in a real leak situation but seem not to be able to emulate it again.  I also want to learn how to receive email warnings from my sensors.  All in good time I suppose.  Is there a manual (ISY programming for Dummies perhaps) somewhere that I can use to learn the basics?

Here is my program for receiving emails when a leak is detected.

Sump Pump Leak - [iD 0045][Parent 0001]

If
        Status  'Leak Sensors / LS - Sump Pump-Wet' is On

Then
        Send Notification to 'Default' content 'Leak Sensor Sump Pump'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

You will need to configure your email under the "Configuration" tab in the Admin Console.

Then under "Customizations" you can configure an email for each device you want to receive a notification from via email.

Archived