Educate me .. please

Jason Miller

Hello! I want something to monitor total energy usage of major devices in my house (i.e. HVAC, split mini systems, fridge) as well as general usage of smaller outlet items. Ideally, I want reports that can save data, so I can trend it. I also want to see the data in my ISY Device, so I can take actions if specific peaks are hit related to energy usage.

I have 3 panels in my house. Two are side by side, in my utility closet. The third panel is connected via one of the panels breakers, to a separate building (garage/office) at my house.

I am confused what I need and how to get started. I think I need this: http://www.brultech.com/greeneye/

Would anyone help me understand what can achieve my goals?

1 minute ago, Jason Miller said:

Hello! I want something to monitor total energy usage of major devices in my house (i.e. HVAC, split mini systems, fridge) as well as general usage of smaller outlet items. Ideally, I want reports that can save data, so I can trend it. I also want to see the data in my ISY Device, so I can take actions if specific peaks are hit related to energy usage.

I have 3 panels in my house. Two are side by side, in my utility closet. The third panel is connected via one of the panels breakers, to a separate building (garage/office) at my house.

I am confused what I need and how to get started. I think I need this: http://www.brultech.com/greeneye/

Would anyone help me understand what can achieve my goals?

The Green Eye Monitor (GEM) would be the correct model to purchase as it offers 32 electrical channels, 8 one wire sensors, 4 pulse counters. If you're looking for a Plug & Play storage server which offers charts, graphs, dials, and much more the natural selection is the Brultech Dash Box (DB). Your choices to connect to the ISY Series Controller is directly via Zigbee which is the best choice for real time energy consumption and metrics.

Other options are to use the Dash Box to send the very same via REST and captured in State Variables for the same. Another option is to have RPi as middle-ware and install i/o Guys Node Link to achieve the same which offers direct Nodes in the ISY Series Controller.

If you need more insight or clarification please do ask . . .

Ok, very helpful. Let me see if I understand this:

Energy monitor (http://www.brultech.com/greeneye/) would hook into the panels to monitor energy usage

Dashbox (http://www.brultech.com/web-server/) would connect to the energy monitor

If I want the dashbox to connect into ISY, Zigbee would be the choice. Can you point me towards this zigbee device? I assume this would just show the current data from the energy monitor and based on things I setup, I would action. It doesn't actually store any trend data?

17 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

Ok, very helpful. Let me see if I understand this:

Energy monitor (http://www.brultech.com/greeneye/) would hook into the panels to monitor energy usage

Dashbox (http://www.brultech.com/web-server/) would connect to the energy monitor

If I want the dashbox to connect into ISY, Zigbee would be the choice. Can you point me towards this zigbee device? I assume this would just show the current data from the energy monitor and based on things I setup, I would action. It doesn't actually store any trend data?

Hello Jason Miller,

Some clarifications on the above in case I was not clear. If you had nothing at all and your primary goal was to integrate *Tightly* with the GEM and ISY Series Controller. You would purchase the ZigBee module and the firmware upgrade for the ISY Series Controller. Going this route would allow you to see and have 32 energy nodes as you have for Insteon devices. If for what ever reason you did not want to go the ZigBee route and one of the main drivers is because you wish to have both Insteon & Z-Wave.

The natural choice would be to use the Brultech Dash Box as a middle man to send *State Variables* to the ISY Series Controller via REST. Going this route would ensure you could have both Insteon and Z-Wave should that be the long term goals. If Z-Wave is never going to be in your future than the natural selection is to purchase the ZigBee module and firmware from UDI.

If that is the route you wish to take you will of course need to purchase the ZigBee GEM version too during your purchase with Brultech.

Now, if you are still following me another option is to have a RPi in place and install one of the members (i/o guy) node link software. Going this route allows you to have native nodes as seen in the device tree too! The benefit here also is if you intend to have a hybrid environment of Insteon & Z-Wave you can have that too! If you go this route your ISY Series Controller must be running the Alpha 5.XX branch firmware to allow the use of the Node Link software / Node Servers.

To your last question the ISY Series Controller does not store anything in terms of energy data only the accumulated energy consumption for each channel. Which you can also use in programs to manage the energy consumption for your home. For store and display energy data you have many choices from freeware, paidware, to Brultech's Dash Box. Going the Freeware requires technical knowledge,. investment in time to learn, and trouble shoot.

The Paid ware option reduces the amount of setup but still requires the user to learn and complete many setup tasks.

If you don't want to spend the next 3~6 months learning something new the natural choice is to purchase the Brultech Dash Box which does all the storage, graphing, and a whole lot more for a one time purchase. There is no endless WTF is going on, or what do I do next once the system is set up.

You may learn more by creating an account in the Brultech forums and read all the different threads etc. In my signature is a massive Projects thread which has tracked my efforts in this area. Keeping in mind many elements have changed so do not take the first years of my failures as a reflection of the current integration of the systems.

Let me know if more info is required . . .

OK .. it seems like this kit would have what I need:

http://www.brultech.com/store/index.php?id_product=133&controller=product

I have 48 total breakers among the two panels.

This, as I understand your description, would work standalone of ISY. If I wish to integrate into ISY, those measures you mention would have to be taken.

23 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

OK .. it seems like this kit would have what I need:

http://www.brultech.com/store/index.php?id_product=133&controller=product

I have 48 total breakers among the two panels.

This, as I understand your description, would work standalone of ISY. If I wish to integrate into ISY, those measures you mention would have to be taken.

I had a nice long reply then Google just sh^t the bed as I typed.

Regardless, that package is fine and if you PM me I may be able to help you a little more regarding the system.

I had a nice long reply then Google just sh^t the bed as I typed.
Regardless, that package is fine and if you PM me I may be able to help you a little more regarding the system.

Take Teken up on his offer. He helped me with my system from setup to completion. I would be willing to pay it forward too if you need to. One caveat, I don’t have mine setup to my ISY bc Teken got lazy! Lol

47 minutes ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Take Teken up on his offer. He helped me with my system from setup to completion. I would be willing to pay it forward too if you need to. One caveat, I don’t have mine setup to my ISY bc Teken got lazy! Lol emoji13.png

LOL . . . :lol:

Archived