Public IP Address

Mustang65

This should be a quick question.  I have a "DYNAMIC" Public IP address and needless to say every now and then the ISP changes the IP address. Although the last time was during the hurricane last summer where we lost our connection for a few days, which automatically assigns a new IP address when their system comes back up. I do not have an issue with getting the new IP address as it is automatically sent to me by my Raspberry Pi, which checks each hour to see if I have the same IP address or if it has changed. If it changed I get the email with the new IP. I thought about having it texted to me, but I already had the code for the email working.

I looked through the various sections of ISY and could not locate any screen that needed the new PUBLIC  IP address to be manually entered within ISY. I believe the only location is with the portal. Am I missing something. Since I am away 4-6 months of the year, it would be difficult to manually enter the new IP address if required. I do not think that this will be a problem.

Thanks

Hello

You shouldn't have to do this manually.   In the system tab, you should already have your http and https ports set up for the ISY .  You should have had to port forward these ports already if you have had access in the past.  When your ip address changes, you'll need to use the new ip address sent to you by your Pi along with these ports already define in your ISY.

I use NOIP.com DDNS.  Free if you renew every month.  They send you an email to remind you to do so.  Takes the step away from having to enter the new ip address as it is kept track of by NOIP.  You also need to enter the NOIP host information in your router.  Now all you need to "ever" do is enter your host name with the ISY port.

E.g..  https://myhostname.ddns.net/web/udajax.htm#/nodes/devices  (this bring me to the screen where it asks for user and pw)

One more question....

I know that I have the Local IP address setup in ISY and I clicked on the "Enable Internet Access" to toggle on/off, I noticed that the Public IP appears in the box. Not sure as to where ISY is getting my Public IP address from. Just curious

Thanks

ISY - Internet Access Enabled screen w_Public IP.jpg

One more question....
I know that I have the Local IP address setup in ISY and I clicked on the "Enable Internet Access" to toggle on/off, I noticed that the Public IP appears in the box. Not sure as to where ISY is getting my Public IP address from. Just curious
Thanks

5aa573a2314f1_ISY-InternetAccessEnabledscreenw_PublicIP.jpg.64fabf09f42c75a889a4b71f6b829bc6.jpg
The "Enable Internet Access" option really enables a protocol called uPnP. The ISY talks to your router (which also must speak uPnP), and gets the router to open any ports needed. This also provides the ISY with your public IP.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, giesen said:

The "Enable Internet Access" option really enables a protocol called uPnP. The ISY talks to your router (which also must speak uPnP), and gets the router to open any ports needed. This also provides the ISY with your public IP.

And, if you think about this carefully, this seems almost tailor-made for malware... if you can somehow sneak a simple trojan into someone's home, it needs only the most rudimentary code to exercise this same uPnP code to ask your router to open up a port for some hacker to use, and then take the IP address so graciously offered by the router after it flings the doors wide-open, so-to-speak, and present that IP like the keys to the castle gates to said hacker for his/her enjoyment.

For that reason, you should ALWAYS disable uPnP on your router!

And, if you think about this carefully, this seems almost tailor-made for malware... if you can somehow sneak a simple trojan into someone's home, it needs only the most rudimentary code to exercise this same uPnP code to ask your router to open up a port for some hacker to use, and then take the IP address so graciously offered by the router after it flings the doors wide-open, so-to-speak, and present that IP like the keys to the castle gates to said hacker for his/her enjoyment.
For that reason, you should ALWAYS disable uPnP on your router!
Yes, which is why uPnP is a security nightmare...

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Archived