PGE Gas Meter

cheezit73

Hello,

Does anyone know a way to monitor a gas meter? I recently had the valve to our outdoor fire pit left open for some time and was thinking it would be great to be able to have an alert if Gas is flowing through the main for an extended period of time. I searched and couldn't really find anything.

Just now, cheezit73 said:

Hello,

Does anyone know a way to monitor a gas meter? I recently had the valve to our outdoor fire pit left open for some time and was thinking it would be great to be able to have an alert if Gas is flowing through the main for an extended period of time. I searched and couldn't really find anything.

Really depends upon the gas meter you have if your city supports RF metering you may have a choice. If the meter supports a pulse output that's another. If the meter has a optical reader that's another possible choice. 

For the fire pit I would consider a gas approved flow meter inserted inline at the outlet.  

I've been able to successfully decode the RF transmission from AMR meters for gas, water, and electric by using a cheap RTL-SDR dongle and BeMasher's open source " rtlamr" software on Windows and Linux.    I have not been able to get this to work reliably on Raspberry Pi, even the newer Pi 3 falls behind and fails to decode.

You'd still need to write code to do something useful with the readings, like post the delta of the meter reading to ThingSpeak and/or to an ISY variable, or trigger an alert on sustained usage over a long term.

Archived