Does the Insteon Garage door controller use momentary on/off signals?

fasttimes

I have a Insteon garage door kit, but my old garage door opener broke.  My new one is a LiftMaster with built in Wifi, the only problem with it is that it doesn’t work with Google Home, etc. to send “open” commands.  I found some instructions on using a $6 ewelink switch which lets you use Google Home to send a signal to the garage door.  They spliced in the ewelink to the button on the garage door to get it working.  The ewelink switch uses inching, which I assume means it sends a brief signal, like pressing a doorbell.  Since I already have the Insteon switch, does anyone know if this will work?

• 6 months later...

The I/O Linc has a normally open and normally closed relay contact. It can be set to momentarily pulse the normally open contact and act like a push button.

I would not be surprised if your opener used a more sophisticated way of control. Have you verified it can be operated by a simple push button. Many of the new openers can not use a simple push button.

2 minutes ago, Brian H said:

I would not be surprised if your opener used a more sophisticated way of control. Have you verified it can be operated by a simple push button. Many of the new openers can not use a simple push button.

Brian H, it sounded to me as if they have already tapped into the wall button with another gadget.  This same approach would work with the IOLinc, don't you think?

If a simple push button works. The I/O Linc should be able to simulate a push button.

I have seen some new openers with a wired in wall mounted control panel. Send power and data on the two wires between the opener and controls. Reset with a push button because the power was shorted out to the controls by the manual button.

Archived