Dimmable Outdoor Motion Detector (MicroModule)

onetrack97

I've got a RAB Lighting Super Stealth motion detector.  It is an excellent motion detector.

I'm interested in making the lights directly or indirectly controlled from the motion detector as well as from iSY Insteon commands.

I found the handymanhowto article on using the 2443-222 On/Off switch but I have some questions since I've never used any of the MicroModules.

If I use a 2442-222 Dimmer MicroModule, with the sense monitoring the motion detector output, do I still have remote control over the dimmer output regardless of the state of the sense input/motion detector output?

Also, the iSY should be able to detect when the MicroModule was activated via the Sense line to perform other actions, correct?

Thanks,

Scott

The micro module can be used as a scene controller, which confirms that it broadcasts status.  You could, with the ISY, either create a scene or a program triggered by the module.  The module can also be used as a scene responder, or react to direct commands, confirming that you can control the level from the ISY. 

You will be happy with this purchase.

Good news/Bad news

I received the dimming micro module.  I hooked it up on the bench with one dimmable LED and a toggle switch for the Sense #1 line.

It worked fine.  I wasn't sure how it was going to work with the sense line vs. program control.  I set it to latched mode and basically, it responds to either program or switch.  If the light is ON, and the Switch is ON, the program can turn the light off, dimmed, etc.  Anytime the light is OFF or dimmed, and the switch goes High, the light goes to full brightness.

Unfortunately, when I installed it into the real fixture, it failed very quickly.  The load was only two 19 W LED's, but upon the second turn on via program, I heard a loud pop.  Triac definitely shorted.  The module still communicates, but it can't control the load, it's always ON.  Customer Support had me do a factory reset, of course, that didn't work but I did it anyway.

The reviews on this device look pretty bad as far as reliability.  I'm going to send this back and get the ON/OFF module.  Should be much more reliable based upon the reviews.

• 1 month later...

I have been using 10 of these Insteon 2442-222 Micro Dimmer driving 2 each 75 watts of incandescent PAR20 bulbs in an outdoor motion sensor flood lighting arrangement for many years without a single failure. 

I would anticipate the Micro Dimmer failure you experienced is due to the LED bulb it was driving.

The Micro Dimmer is rated for 200 watts "incandescent" load and at 120Vac that is only 1.6 amps.

Unfortunately, the Micro Dimmer output is not rated for driving an LED or CFL bulbs or the module spec would also indicate CFL/LED bulb compatibility.

CFL and LED bulbs have a different current draw profile due to their internal circuitry and that current profile is not always compatible with the dimmer's output circuitry capability.

So, if you try another Micro Dimmer with an LED bulb, I anticipate the new Micro Dimmer will suffer the same fate.

I would anticipate that using low wattage incandescent bulbs as I have in a "programmed Dusk/Dawn-Motion Sensor-Dimmer Controlled fixture" (bulbs dimmed most of the time with an on-time of only minutes a day) is efficient and the actual cost difference compared to using an LED bulb for all practical purposes would be insignificant.

Archived