Dimming LED with latest beta and Insteon?

ctviggen1

Hi All,

I'm using the latest beta software on my ISY 994i.  What I'd like to do is turn down the LED brightness for my dimming (or on/off) Insteon light switches.

When I pull up a page for a dimming Insteon light switch on the admin console, the page has "backlight" with a dropdown box from 0-100 an "options" button that after hitting brings up options including "No LED".  Neither of these seem to do anything to the LED's brightness.

Is there a way to control the LED brightness for Insteon light switches using the ISY 994i?  Or do I have to manually do this?  (Which is possible...hit front button for a while, three times in a row until a beep each time, then hit "off"; it's just every time there is a power outage, most of the switches forget this setting.)

The only thing I don't like about these switches is this programming.  I wish there was an option for no LED when off, and then when on, the correct LED would light up at the particular brightness you selected.  (And the dang things would remember their programming for any power outage.)

What version of the firmware are you using?  What is the model # of your switches.

I'm currently on firmware 5.13B.  I've tried the Admin Console page for both a 2477D dimmer and a 2477S switch and both the "Backlight %" and the "Options-No LED" have an immediate effect on the switch's backlight.  If you're not seeing the same, you should try opening the "Event Viewer" from Tools->Diagnostics.  With it open, try changing the "Backlight %".  You should see three lines appear in the Event Viewer".  One that says "Writing 1 bytes to devices".  One that says "Memory: ...".  And one that says "Writing 0 bytes to devices".

You can also change the backlight programatically via the ISY.  Within the THEN or ELSE of a program, choose the Action "Your Devices", specify which device from the dropdown, choose "Backlight" as the command, and then choose a %.

• 3 months later...

Anyone figured out how to make backlight consistent?

I have 10 years of various switches and dimmers.  Depending on the unit I see:

• 0-100% is perfectly linear with 0% being "almost" off (oldest units)
  • 0% being the sun and 1-100& being somewhat increasing in brightness
  • 0% being somewhat bright and then gradually gets lower till around 10% and then gradually gets brighter from 10-100%

I used to be able to just set them all to 50% but it seems like I know need to go and tweak each one separately while standing in front with a laptop.  Is this just an Insteon hardware/firmware "feature"?

Archived