Mobilinc Shortcuts for iOS12

Scottmichaelj

Hi [mention=166]Scottmichaelj[/mention],
Did you see this?

You can add anything in your ISY to Siri Shortcuts with our MobiLinc IFTTT channel and the Webhook Channel. A more simplified, one tap to add to Siri Shortcuts, is on my list for the iOS/Android MobiLinc new app currently in development.

Wes

Wes I did see that however to add Mobilinc as a service applet you need to connect it to Mobilinc Connect Portal which I dont have. Right now I am using the ISY portal. Thats why I was requesting the shortcuts be adding within the ML app itself.

Thanks for all your work on updating this app.

Ah, understood. 

I've heard the ISY portal offers a similar DIY connection type method like MobiLinc Connect (our direct DIY endpoint) that you could use instead to trigger items with Siri Shortcuts, but you'd need to consult the ISY Programming guide on the proper command formatting. 

Wes

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Will you be adding Siri Shortcuts to the MobiLinc HD app? I don’t have a MobiLinc Connect account and don’t need one but I would like the ability to use Siri Shortcuts.

Thanks.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, InsteonNut said:

Ah, understood. 

I've heard the ISY portal offers a similar DIY connection type method like MobiLinc Connect (our direct DIY endpoint) that you could use instead to trigger items with Siri Shortcuts, but you'd need to consult the ISY Programming guide on the proper command formatting. 

Wes

Hi @wwat ,

There are no plans to add a direct Siri Shortcut option to MobiLinc HD. Currently, we are 100% focused on our new MobiLinc app for iOS/Android. In the new app we're planning on adding in Siri Shortcuts, however, this will still be a MobiLinc Connect only feature (one-click add to Siri).

In my post about how to integrate Siri Shortcuts:

you can follow the direction to make a direct IP connection instead of connecting to MobiLinc Connect DIY endpoint. 

Wes 

On 12/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, InsteonNut said:

new MobiLinc app for iOS

By the sounds of it you are abandoning any further major developments on the current HD app. Why create a new app instead of developing the current app into a more substantial and mature product. In effect you are leaving your customers with a dead product that will never get upgraded to take advantage of new features etc? Will there be some type of upgrade path for customers who have already paid for a HD app?

btw, why make Siri shortcuts conditional upon a Connect account when it doesn’t need to be. Users who don’t need remote access would still like to have access to Siri shortcut functionality from home.

Thanks.

Hi @wwat

1 hour ago, wwat said:

By the sounds of it you are abandoning any further major developments on the current HD app.

That is an incorrect assumption. All MobiLinc apps will continue to be supported.

I'm not ready yet to make any announcements regarding the new app/features/etc, but I ran a survey over the summer with the existing MobiLinc base (not sure if you saw the announcement here on the forum) and the new app is designed from the ground up to meet the needs discovered as part of the survey analysis results. For some folks, the existing MobiLinc apps will continue to meet their needs. 

You can absolutely add Siri Shortcuts locally today without MobiLinc. Follow Options 2 in my post here and use your local ISY's IP/port/username/password instead of the MobiLinc Connect DIY endpoint. It's more typing/work than a one tap add to Siri like I'm working on, but very do-able as-is today.

Wes

11 hours ago, InsteonNut said:

Hi @wwat

That is an incorrect assumption. All MobiLinc apps will continue to be supported.

I'm not ready yet to make any announcements regarding the new app/features/etc, but I ran a survey over the summer with the existing MobiLinc base (not sure if you saw the announcement here on the forum) and the new app is designed from the ground up to meet the needs discovered as part of the survey analysis results. For some folks, the existing MobiLinc apps will continue to meet their needs. 

You can absolutely add Siri Shortcuts locally today without MobiLinc. Follow Options 2 in my post here and use your local ISY's IP/port/username/password instead of the MobiLinc Connect DIY endpoint. It's more typing/work than a one tap add to Siri like I'm working on, but very do-able as-is today.

Wes

No, I didn’t see any announcement or survey, and that doesn’t answer my questions Wes. I know that I can add Siri in other ways, the reason why I purchased your program was because I wanted to get away from the ongoing tech involvement. Why couldn’t you develop the current app further, why start from scratch AGAIN!!! This requires current customers to purchase an entirely new program to stay current and take advantage of new features. Yes the current app meets my BASIC needs but as tech evolves I was hoping that you were going to upgrade it to take advantage of new possibilities, a perfect example is Siri shortcuts - that is the standard approach to application development. 

You are providing Siri shortcut functionality for Connect customers but leaving everyone else out, it appears that once again you are trying to force customers to pay a yearly fee to your Connect service when some of us don’t need that functionality. So for me this is turning into a dead end product. Do you publish a new features upgrade log for the HD product, I was interested to see what new features you have added over the years?

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

9 minutes ago, wwat said:

Why couldn’t you develop the current app further,

This is a simple question with a complex answer. As I stated above, all MobiLinc apps will be supported. In order to push both iOS and Android forward into a more modern app and meet the current crop of expectations folks have for a mobile app, their ISY, their home, and integration with cloud services, a new app with new features/goals/focus was required. Again, I'm not ready yet to make any specific announcements, but there are many reasons we needed to reset and start from a clean working surface in order to move forward.

7 minutes ago, wwat said:

Do you publish a new features upgrade log for the HD product, I was interested to see what new features you have added over the years?

In the App Store, search/find MobiLinc HD. In the description, Apple has "Version History" as an option. Tap on that. You'll see all the releases of an app and the release notes going back about 4 years to when Apple started tracking these.

Wes

1 hour ago, InsteonNut said:

This is a simple question with a complex answer. As I stated above, all MobiLinc apps will be supported. In order to push both iOS and Android forward into a more modern app and meet the current crop of expectations folks have for a mobile app, their ISY, their home, and integration with cloud services, a new app with new features/goals/focus was required. Again, I'm not ready yet to make any specific announcements, but there are many reasons we needed to reset and start from a clean working surface in order to move forward.

Try me with a sentence or two. 

I never questioned whether you would SUPPORT these apps, I questioned your commitment to on going major new feature development for the HD, Orchestra and etc apps. Without any commitment from you for these products they are dead products. Obviously there is no changing your decision but you may want to think about providing the following:

1) An upgrade path for existing users of HD and Orchestra etc

2) Provide different versions

a) for those requiring Connect functionality

b) for those who don’t.

I shouldn’t  have to pay ongoing fees for something I don’t need in order to stay current and receive new major upgrades.

You could easily incorporate Siri shortcuts into the current version of your product, much of the code is probably already written. The fact that you won’t tells me you don’t intend to incorporte any new major features into the current apps leaving us high and dry.

Wayne

Archived