Communication issues.

mdcastle

I'm having communication issues in various points in my house. Namely:

1.) My PLM does not like living in the same outlet one of my computers is plugged into. I was having trouble communicating with devices throughout the house until I snaked an extension cord through the wall and plugged the PLM into that.

2.) Lamplinc next to my TV loses communication with the relocated PLM when the TV is turned on.

Currently besides the PLM I have two Controlincs, two Lamplincs, four Switchlincs, and a wired in signal bridge in a smallish house.

What's the best way to try to fix these problems? More Insteon devices? Noise filters? Locating Insteon devices away from electronic equipment?I have no idea how much current my electronics draw as far as selecting the proper size filters.

mdcastle,

Is the signal bridge you are using a INSTEON bridge or an old X-10 bridge. If it is the old X-10 type they do not work with INSTEON. As far as the noise at the computer I would either put a filter on the computer since you PLM is in the same location or plug an Access point into the PLM and then put Access Points on each phase in the house. A note for any one else reading this...Access Points are not being linked when they are installed the set up is only a tool to let you know they are on opposite phases. I you knew two outlets that were on two different phases you could just plug them in the outlets. More devices are always better because it builds a stronger network. The more that are installed the less noise is an issue unless you plug a controller like a PLM into an outlet with alot of noise. The Access Point plugged into the PLM trick does help alot because it sends the signal RF and Power line at the same time.

SteveL

I had to use a filter on my APC BX1000 UPS as it was absorbing most of my X10 and Insteon Signals. Mine is a Smarthome 1626-10. Yes it originally sold as a X10 filter but it works fine for Insteon also.

Some of the least thought of items can be noise problem makers. I have seen a new type switching power supply cell phone charger kill powerline signals with noise.

X10 type active phase couplers [repeater] will not pass Insteon signals. Some passive ones may or may not. I had a simple .1 uf AC Rated cap across the phases [was a X10 fix but I don't think such a good idea anymore] pass enough Insteon signals to keep the system happy. I now also have two AccessPoints to do that and a ACT CR134 for my X10 coupling as there are still X10 things I use with no Insteon matching device.

The phase coupler I'm using is the SmartHome 4816H. Just wondering if there were any opinions on filtering my equipment or three AccessPoints would be a better place to start, as I don't want to do both if it's not necessary. I'm guessing the cost would work out to be about the same.

For electronic equipment I have:

*Two computers and associated equipment including the ISY plugged into three different outlets in the office.

* Home Theater system with hefty (5-6 amp) amplifiers plugged into the same outlet as a lamplinc.

* The usual, microwave, coffeemaker, oven, and clock radio in the kitchen- no Insteon is or will be on these circuits.

* A cordless phone plugged in to the same outlet as my bedroom lamplinc.

* A cable TV amplifier downstairs.

* six flourescent fixtures with electronic ballasts. No compact flourescents and no plans to get any.

Generally speaking, the outlets in each room are on their own circuit. The overhead lights throughout the house are consolidated into a two circuits each for the upstairs and downstairs, and one for the Garage. I also use Leviton GFCIs protecting all receptacle outlets in the house.

When you add multiple paths like phase couplers or Accesspoints, does Insteon get stronger becaue there's more options for it to go, or weaker because of out of phase signals cancelling.

mdcastle,

2406H is the coupler you would use if you were going to take the hard wire approach. If I was doing the installation I would put filters on and large plug strip. A general rule, if you are paying more then 50 dollars for a plug strip there is a good chance that it has noise cleaning circuit or power conditioning that will attenuate the INSTEON locally. I would use the Access Points to bridge the 2 phases in your house and also put an Access Point plugged into the PLM. To set up Access Points plug the first one into an outlet of you choice, then push the set button 4 times very fast, the Led will light bright. Now take the second one and go around the house and plug the Access Point into outlets until the Led on the second Access point light up bright....now you plases are bridged. Go back to the first Access Point and press the button to dim the Led again. If you find that all of your receptacles are all on the same phase an electrician can swap it with another circuit on the same 3 wire circuit. The big benefit of Access Points over a hard wire bridge is that they are also repeaters of the signal on the network.

Those are all good points Brian.

SteveL

• 2 weeks later...

4816 will not work with Insteon then? I orginally bought it because I was told that it would, that these are fairly imprecise and X10 and Insteon frequencies are close enought that a bridge meant for X10 would pass Insteon. I'm going to place another order for Insteon devices soon, and was wondering if I need to order a 2406H or some signalincs.

Do multiple phase coupling devices at different locations strengthen a network by adding additional paths or make it weaker by causing destructive interference and collisions. Say having four Signalincs, or phase couplers at both the main and subpanels?

What's the practical length of an Insteon hop? I'm having trouble communicating with devices in my garage which is about 100 feet from my PLM.

Do wall wart type devices like cordless phones and cell phone chargers need to be investigated and possibly filtered if there are communication issues?

Steve is the expert so I am just adding my 2c; from what I understand and have experienced the 4816 products don't reliably do anything for Insteon signals. If you don't have at least one pair of Insteon Access Points or one pair of Insteon Signalincs in your house your Insteon network will not be reliable until you do. In my Insteon setup I am using two Insteon Access Points and I plan to install a Insteon Hardwired SignaLinc Phase Coupler too for my X10 stuff. The Hardwired SignaLinc Phase Coupler unit might be able to do it by itself but the Insteon Access Points add another layer to reliability.

Archived