Jump to content

Stringify closing down.


Brian H

Recommended Posts

From an email I received from Stringify yesterday (4-8-2019):

***

After nearly five years of transforming how people automate their connected lives, I’m sorry to inform you that we are beginning the process of deactivating the Stringify app. This isn’t a decision we made lightly, but as our focus increasingly shifts to developing new connected-home experiences at Comcast, we made a strategic decision to step back from developing the app. 

You don’t need to take any action right away. While we will be removing Stringify from app stores today, we will continue to operate and support the service for existing users through the month of June. When we deactivate the app, we will also delete all of your user data. 

We know that Stringify plays a big part in our users’ daily lives, and we want to make sure everyone has plenty of time to adjust.   

To that end, I’d also like to offer a couple of recommendations of potential technology alternatives. While I’d encourage you to do your own research, our team thinks these solutions each offer unique value. 

IFTTT – A great free-to-use service that offers a lot of the same functions and capabilities as Stringify. 
Yonomi – Another free-to-use service that supports many connected devices and experiences. 
WebCore – For users of Samsung SmartThings platform. Some folks on our team have been using and enjoying it.   

Thanks again for being part of Stringify. It’s been a true pleasure to work with our tremendous community of users. Please don’t hesitate to email us at support@stringify.com if you have any questions or concerns. 

Sincerely 

Mike Yurochko  

***

Link to comment
On 4/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, larryllix said:

...and yet people still continue to increase their dependence on cloud services for home automation.

See you in the dark..lol

Sent using Tapatalk
 

This is why I stick with my hue stuff over lifx (which is actually better). My existing Hue will still work with the isy without internet connection while I would need Lifx servers to do anything.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

This is why I stick with my hue stuff over lifx (which is actually better). My existing Hue will still work with the isy without internet connection while I would need Lifx servers to do anything.

But then I have just pulled my Hue bulbs out of service and substituted some $10 WiFi bulbs with all the colours. My original Hue bulbs were not capable of green at all or pure blue.

Pure RGBW Insteon bulbs would have been the best as no WiFi, router, Ethernet, or third part hub, dependence at all. But then those bulbs (Insteon) would  not be portable between other systems if that ever happened.

Link to comment
9 hours ago, larryllix said:

But then I have just pulled my Hue bulbs out of service and substituted some $10 WiFi bulbs with all the colours. My original Hue bulbs were not capable of green at all or pure blue.

Pure RGBW Insteon bulbs would have been the best as no WiFi, router, Ethernet, or third part hub, dependence at all. But then those bulbs (Insteon) would  not be portable between other systems if that ever happened.

The newer bulbs (especially the light strips) are much better than the original (though far from perfect). I've made it a nabit to use colors that play to hue's strength vs their weaknesses. I just love that it is easily integrated into a lot of different setups.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

The newer bulbs (especially the light strips) are much better than the original (though far from perfect). I've made it a nabit to use colors that play to hue's strength vs their weaknesses. I just love that it is easily integrated into a lot of different setups.

Yes. Hue protocol is very well  done. I have integrated all my other brands of bulbs based on a 0-255 colour wheel hue factor so they act similarly in colour. For saving the settings of a bulb, in order to "borrow it", say for a garage door left open flash, or a midnight  (get to bed) warning, it only takes two 1 byte parameters to save and restore after.

Hue with their two factor colour chart that didn't line up with actual bulb colour production drove me crazy.  Now I had to save three variables for each bulb. Now every type and variance of bulb required a variable lookup table inside ISY to match colours. That took a hundred or more Integer variables in ISY to match five  different breeds of strips and bulbs.

 

Yeah. I am memory stingy but it's an old old habit from the sub 1K microprocessor board hex keypad  project days. :)

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      36.6k
    • Total Posts
      368.1k
×
×
  • Create New...