Works with Nest Ending

wedel456

I agree.  The idea that the only way to control you own, purchased thermostat is to use Google's home platform is classic tech overreach that we have seen from lots of Google's peers.  I certainly have no problem if they want to do a great job integrating Nest into their own platform but they need to leave some reasonable hooks for other hubs to access and control Nests.  It will be interesting to watch the overall home automation community's reaction to this announcement.  I hope it drives Google to a position that would be more in keeping with their historical support of open systems.

Smacks a little of removing official public functionality that was present and had value at time of purchase. 
Since this is a real, physical, paid product versus a free software offering... I wonder if there is going to be more push back and / or legal risk than Google anticipated.
I'm not one to normally think much of the "I'm gonna sue and win" crowd, but I may listen to what they have to say this time. 
Equally sure Google did a CYA move somewhere in the EULA / product warranty to say that features could be added or removed over time.
Sigh.

I suppose there will always be website scraping, if home.nest.com stays viable.
Prone to all sorts of breaking at any random time, and requires each person to really own their own method of doing so vs a nice polished Polyglot-  but I've already been working on that as my 'best of the worst options' solution for temperature sensors since they were never available in the API.

• 11 months later...

Realize nobody has posted on this subject for quite some time.

I have Keen automated vents, and they've warned users not to transition to Google account. But I had to for some reason or another (maybe because I wanted access from Google Home, or IFTTT, or...). Anyway, I weighed the plusses and minuses and transitioned, as everybody has to eventually.

Looks like they have an API that has been made available initially to "selected partners". But is also available to individuals who want to experiment. But the individual device sandbox (up to 5 users) doesn't open up until LATE 2020!

For other than "selected" partners, supposed to open up "early 2020".

You can apply for either here:

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access

• 1 month later...

So, just to clarify, where did things land with this? We just purchased a new home which has 2 Nest thermostats in it. We're about to install an ISY 994i. Out the gate, am I dead in the water with the Nest thermostats? Seems a bummer to have to replace 2 functioning thermostats. :-/

From what I'm reading, it seems at best ISY might be able to talk to Nest thermostats in late 2020 again. Is that correct? Until then, no connectivity to the ISY?

Thanks for the clarification.

@Michel Kohanim

Got it. Thanks for the info. Just wanted to confirm before selling off two perfectly good Nest thermostats. Now I just wish I could find some decent looking Z-Wave thermostats to replace them with. Most Z-Wave thermostats I've seen look like they fell out of the 90's. :-\

Thanks again.

16 minutes ago, stimpy2k said:

Ecobee has a Z-Wave thermostat? I thought their stuff was all cloud based. I do like the look of their stuff, but I'd prefer to not go to the cloud for our thermostat, if possible.

Its cloud based as is Nest. I love my ecobees. Unlike Google, Ecobee has shown themselves to be committed to their systems. While this doesn't mean something wouldn't change in 10 years, I trust them to support their product api much more than I trust google. 

There are zwave thermostats but none work as well as ecobee....There is a Venstar nodeserver which allows for local control. No cloud. I prefer the look of the ecobee thermostat but thats a subjective matter

1 minute ago, stimpy2k said:

@lilyoyo1

Not to branch off too far from the original conversation, but have you had any of the eco+ issues people are talking about with you Ecobees?

I would not be interested in them hijacking my thermostats like this, as well-intentioned as it might be.

No. I never added mine to the electric company and set it where the feature is "turned off"

1 hour ago, stimpy2k said:

Got it. Yeah, in the other post, people were complaining it was being forced on them. They weren't voluntarily adding it. Sounded a little scary.

I think people hear/see things and assume things without fully investigating it. I remember when that post first came out, it made me pause. Over time, as I gathered more information, I felt that it was a good feature for most people (especially in certain areas of the country), just not for me (or those with automation system) as I can dial in my stuff better to fit our life than they can. 

14 minutes ago, stimpy2k said:

Exactly. Yeah, I don't mind that they have those features, but I would care if it were something I couldn't disable. If you're saying it's something that can be disabled, then that's fine with me.

You'd still have to connect it to your utility company for it to work anyway

If you're thinking about the venstar family, they've slowly but continuously improved their solution in the 6 years I've had them. They recently completely revamped their app (including built in geofencing) and cloud security. As mentioned, you don't have to use their cloud and can shut it off it you want. I use Nodelink for local control from the ISY for key functions, but having geofencing and remote monitoring through their app which makes for a good hybrid solution.  I can't argue the the ecobee is a more attractive to look at

Paul

Archived