PLM Link Question

upstatemike

I am curious why the PLM needs an internal link table and an Insteon address? The PLC needed these things because it was designed to work in stand alone mode but there is no value in having the PLM be a bottleneck for full time controllers and software. Software and controller manufacturers have to resort to partial link schemes or custom versions of the PLM with more memory in order to address the link limitations of the current PLM. It also does not make sense that if the PLM needs to be swapped for some reason that the link tables in a hundred (or more) Insteon devices have to be editied to reflect the new PLM address. PCs and hardware controllers have the capacity for unlimited link tables and the ability to manage the address of the Insteon controller... Having these functions in the PLM rather than the controller/software seams like a huge handicap holding back the development of new and better insteon controllers.

One of the Insteon features is if it is not a known address you can't see it?

Not in the Link Table no passing the data to anyone, except maybe rebroadcast the message as most do for the intended device.

They call it a Security thing.

Maybe a hacker will get one going as Smarthome is not going to do it.

I have never understood the security argument. In the thirty-some years that I have been playing with home automation I have never heard of a serious hacker incident where somebody had their light switches hijacked. As far as I'm concerned:

Tight security on your computer network to protect your credit card info - good.

Tight security on your lighting protocol packets to protect your light switches - just plain dumb.

One of the thing that needs to be taken in account is that INSTEON is a power line and RF comunication technology not a light switch. It is used in light switches to communicate and other Smartlab products. This technology can be used to arm and disarm an alarm system, unlock doors, ect. This level of security is demanded if INSTEON is to play in this arena.

The PLM is used as a secure gateway to other partner technologies.

SteveL

Archived