GarageDoorPi

markv58

3 minutes ago, larryllix said:

What type of garage door opener?

Sent using Tapatalk

Any opener that uses a contact closure button to signal the door to move or stop.

I'm curious to see the mounting solutions people come up with.

It may be time to invest in a 3D printer. I've been waiting for enough excuses to get one.

8 minutes ago, markv58 said:

I'm curious to see the mounting solutions people come up with.

It may be time to invest in a 3D printer. I've been waiting for enough excuses to get one.

I would be using a long wood screws through the back with a small piece of tubing, as a standoffs, to deal with the internal devices mounted through the back of the box.
There are a few PVC boxes in the electrical trade that come with mounting wings that may work but they are typically square. Metal angle brackets could work if hidden somewhat for looks.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/products-compare.1000403716.1000403714.1000403715.html

I would think there should be a Arduino project that could do this with relay contact built in. I don't know anything about the Arduino lines but I hear great things and they are much smaller, and cheaper. Looks well over $200, here in Canuckistan so far, but then you get two garage doors in one box. Ceiling mount between the two GDOs would be very unnoticed and stay more dust free. Heat up there may be prohibitive.

Ahhhh. Nice. I must have missed those details in my first read.
Thanks!

Nope the info of the link wasn’t in the first post. You could almost do the same thing with an IOLinc and variables/status.

Warning, this will not work with MyQ (Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

8 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Nope the info of the link wasn’t in the first post. You could almost do the same thing with an IOLinc and variables/status.

Warning, this will not work with MyQ (Liftmaster/Chamberlain)

I did this because the IOLinc gave out after less than a year, it was part of the Insteon Garage Door kit. The new IOLinc about was as much as the parts to build the RPi device. The IOLinc setup was always having problems updating the status as well, it was never as good as I thought it should have been.

I won't work on some of the new openers, but if you have an older or a non-cloud connected opener this is an option.

I did this because the IOLinc gave out after less than a year, it was part of the Insteon Garage Door kit. The new IOLinc about was as much as the parts to build the RPi device. The IOLinc setup was always having problems updating the status as well, it was never as good as I thought it should have been.
I won't work on some of the new openers, but if you have an older or a non-cloud connected opener this is an option.

Its a good solution for sure and not trying to down play the work and effort you have put into this project. The more we share and help the stronger the community.

How well will a Raspberry Pi stand up to the environmental extremes of an un-insulated garage in a region that experiences all 4 seasons in spades?

Only official docs I can find state that the lowest-rasted chipset is good from 0°C to 70°C, but makes no promises.

How well will a Raspberry Pi stand up to the environmental extremes of an un-insulated garage in a region that experiences all 4 seasons in spades?
Only official docs I can find state that the lowest-rasted chipset is good from 0°C to 70°C, but makes no promises.
The RPi in a sealed box transmitting on a regular basis should generate about 5 to 10 watts of heat. Focused into a small point has shown to melt solder from a small soldering iron. I doubt the cold will be a problem in the winter anywhere.
Summer heat may be a problem in a sealed box.

Garages do not get that extreme. I have probes everywhere and on -30c nights my garage hardly ever freezes drinking water if the car has been out and warmed up that day. My garage has no insulation except the doors as it makes them more durable against bending.

There is also a massive concrete slab of thermal mass that regulates a lot of temperature swings.

The GDO electronics have no problems with the extreme temperature swings.

Sent using Tapatalk

GDOs are a known source of Insteon disruption producing huge electrical disturbances. The GDO should only be sold with a FilterLinc.

I use an I/Olinc with one of my doors and since adding the filter I dont have 5% of the missed commands.

My new battery backed up GDO was the worst and crippled most of my Insteon system. Thar is also what pointed me to the old ac motor noise also.

Sent using Tapatalk

GDOs are a known source of Insteon disruption producing huge electrical disturbances. The GDO should only be sold with a FilterLinc. 
I use an I/Olinc with one of my doors and since adding the filter I dont have 5% of the missed commands.

My new battery backed up GDO was the worst and crippled most of my Insteon system. Thar is also what pointed me to the old ac motor noise also.

Sent using Tapatalk

My garage is more of a metal fabrication shop so you can imagine the noise from all the machinery. Still the IOLinc functioned well even without a filter as I only used its function when leaving or arriving. It’s the power supply that gave out. Could have been all the power surging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, markv58 said:

My garage is more of a metal fabrication shop so you can imagine the noise from all the machinery. Still the IOLinc functioned well even without a filter as I only used its function when leaving or arriving. It’s the power supply that gave out. Could have been all the power surging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two 3600 Watt inverters that run 24 x 7 and always thought they were making problems at that end of my home. After I installed the second GDO with a battery charger in it I realised how bad these units are. The inverters cause very little problem with noise. The GDO circuitry does, not when the garage door operates...but 24 x 7 on stand-by. It is not the motors, it's the signal receiver circuitry. Very odd. With this much noise I agree the GDO probably burnt out your I/oLinc. I have the same problem with synchroLincs on my gas dryer. There is no heavy load  resistive element to absorb the motor noise and it regularly burns out the synchroLinc's power supply filter capacitors.

@KeviNH @larryllix I'm adding polling to get the cpu temp. I'm in Texas and it can get a bit hot so tracking the temp might be a good idea.

Will be available shortly.

If you already have it installed, hit the Update Profile button and restart the AC to see the temp.

1 hour ago, markv58 said:

@KeviNH @larryllix I'm adding polling to get the cpu temp. I'm in Texas and it can get a bit hot so tracking the temp might be a good idea.

Will be available shortly.

If you already have it installed, hit the Update Profile button and restart the AC to see the temp.

Both my NetGear and my ASUS router crash at 38 degrees C from a Wireless Tag placed on the top of the plastic case.

The typical dust proofing uses screened vent holes on the bottom, and at the tops of the sides. No loose things/dust/dirt can fall in easily. Keep CPU boards vertical and heat sunk.

4 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Both my NetGear and my ASUS router crash at 38 degrees C from a Wireless Tag placed on the top of the plastic case.

The typical dust proofing uses screened vent holes on the bottom, and at the tops of the sides. No loose things/dust/dirt can fall in easily. Keep CPU boards vertical and heat sunk.

I'm running at 58c right now (cpu). The Pi can handle around 80 as far as I can tell. Some venting might be good.

I'm going to log some data.

2 minutes ago, markv58 said:

I'm running at 58c right now (cpu). The Pi can handle around 80 as far as I can tell. Some venting might be good.

I'm going to log some data.

There may be a way to slow the CPU down to lower the heat production in a RPi. Mine sitting vertically on a desk on open air constantly flashes heat warnings when just browsing. OTOH: web browsing is becoming the heaviest load you can put on a CPU now with all the animations and graphics.. LOL Shouldn't need any speed to handle two (high speed :) ) garage doors.

• 5 months later...

To simplify things a bit, I like to use reed relays for low current switches (like the contact closure on a GDO.  The reed relay coil draws very little current and can be powered directly from the rpi.  No need for a powered relay board.  Saves you space and wiring.  I have used the brand below.  They pull about 10ma at 5v.  The pi is 3.4 volts, but they still have worked for me and at the lower voltage the current should be even less.  For rpi, I have read where 16ma is the max you should pull on any one pin and 50ma all pins combine simultaneously.  With a GDO contact closure, you are only flashing the pin on for a fraction of a second, which further limits risk of damage to the pi.    

https://www.amazon.com/5Pcs-relay-sip-1a05-switch-chang/dp/B07TPLK93P/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=reed+relay&qid=1572628716&sr=8-6

• 11 months later...

I finally got around to setting up Polyglot on an old Raspberry Pi Model B (756-8308), a 2013 vintage model I had laying around and installed GarageDoorPi on it.

The Pi is a bit slow to boot up, but it runs the Polyglot just fine.

You can see the mounting brackets I made for the reed switches, one magnet shuttles between them on the Open/Close cycle.

I have tried to operate this from the mobile portal app but it wont operate the door. Is there anyway to make this happen?

Cheers

Mike2545

20201027_142353.jpg

20201027_142154.jpg

20201027_142158.jpg

20201027_142233.jpg

20201027_142248.jpg

20201027_142302.jpg

Screenshot_20201027-145213_Chrome.jpg

Archived