8 button remote control dimmer problem

I have a Insteon 8 button remote control dimmer (#2334) that has the control button A linked to buttons on 2 other #2334 keypads.  The light linked to the control button A will slowly blink 2-3 times when it is turned on.  At random times thereafter the light will blink once and remain on.  The same "blinking" action will also occur when the light is operated from the other 2 keypads.

I have restored the keypad with the Control button A.

No other devices on any of the 3 keypads exhibits the blinking behavior.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting or probable cause of the blinking behavior?

I am curious....by what insteon device is the light powered?  Is it one of the keypads?

I have seen the backlights of keypad buttons flash.  I have come to understand that this is likely an indication of communication problems.  Unfortunately, I don’t know of a similar case for the actual light fixture flashing.  Is it possible that you have a program involved that could cause this?

One of the keypads is the power source of the light... the keypad with the A button is the power source and control.  

I have made no changes to any programs, however I will check to see if some linked program may have a new glitch. 

I have attempted to restore the other keypads that are mentioned in my original post above.  One of the keypads (2486D) is having trouble writing updates.  The update will progress for a while then timeout.  I have to then manually restart the writing update.  It will take several attempts to complete the update of a link.  So far it has taken me about 2 hrs to write updates to 43 links on this device.

Any ideas?

When i get this at my house, I interpret this to marginal communications.  In this case, I assume there is a problem between the PLM and keypad.  I don’t know that this would cause flashing lights, but it could certainly cause difficulty 8n writing updates.

Do you have lots of dual-band devices and confirmed communication between legs of your electrical system?  Is the PLM on a separate circuit from all your other computer stuff? 

Can you do a built in communications test {4 button tap test} . With the PLM starting the test and see if it can access some of the Dual Band modules and are on the  other phase.

Any new electronics in the house or an existing device was moved. It is possible you have a new power line noise maker.  I have read that noise can sometimes confuse the module into thinking there is a command on the line and it is waiting for the command to be over.

You are tapping the outer reaches of my brain and knowledge base.  I will need more instruction on how to perform the communications test. 

No new electronics nor was anything removed.  I have 3 air cleaners that are connected to Insteon Powerline Noise filters.  I turned off the air cleaners while performing the keypad testing and restore/update functions.  All of the problems remained. 

The "4 button tap test" is described in the manual for most dual-band devices.  This is to confirm communication between legs of the electrical system.  I believe one can initiate the test from any dual-band device, and observe the results on the remaining dual-band devices.  I think it is initiated by four quick taps on the set button, then observing the LED flashes and colors on the other devices to confirm communication.

Even existing, but aging, electronic equipment might start being a problem, if that is the case here.  

The information is in the full users manuals. You can download if you have not done it already. Some manuals cal it a Beacon Test or Communications Test.

You can even start it from the 2413S PLM. By tapping the side set button four times. It should start beeping and then you can look at the LEDs on other modules.

Some of the later modules now need you to follow a flow chart. Combination of Set Button pushes and LED flash patterns to get where you want to go.

Archived