OutletLinc or OutletLeak ?

JacquesB

Hi,

In my kitchen, I installed a serie of OutletLinc that controls 3 different lights. One of them is a panel of LED, the other are fluorescent. The problem is for the LED.

Because LEDs use a so low energy, they keep flashing when the OutletLinc is turned off. A very small quantity of energy "leaks" from the OutletLinc and it is enough for turning On a charge as low as LEDs.

When I plug a power bar in the controlled Outlet and the LED panel in that bar, it may helps depending of the bar : if the bar has a built-in light, this light is enough for "absorbing" the leak and preventing the flashing. If the bar has no light, the LED keeps flashing. If I turn off the power bar, no matter if it has light or not, it also cuts the leak and prevent the flashing.

I tried the LED panel in another "OutletLeak" and it flashes again.

Is there any other option than a charge in parallel like the light of a power bar for absorbing that leak ? Is there a way to prevent that leak completely?

If not, may be preventing this leak could be an improvement for the next OutletLinc model...

Jacques

Hi Rand,

As a matter of fact, your suggestion just makes it worst. Before trying it, the LED panel was flashing, but the OutletLinc did not turn completely On. Now, the OutletLinc turns On completely a short moment ofter I turned it off.

I understand that the load sense was disable and I enabled it. I tried to re-disable it, but the OutletLinc now keeps turning fully On.

Fortunately, the power bar trick still works and I will use it as a fix.

Thanks for the idea,

Jacques

The sensing current is always there. The Local Sensing on and off only tells the firmware to ignore or process the sensed changes.

X10 has similar or even worse current on theirs. Some users have wired a resistor across the load to squelch the current. The older X10 fix is a 4 watt standard night light bulb on the load.

You are not alone with the LED type lights. I have tested a few brands myself and they all tend to glow when off. :(

'Local Control' is one of those features that people either love or hate. It is included on ApplianceLincs, LampLincs, Icon Dimmer and On/Off modules as well as OutletLincs. The module design intentionally allows a trickle of current to pass through when turned off so it can determine if you toggle the attached device's on/off switch, then uses that signal to turn the device on without need for another controller. As you've discovered, this trickle current is enough to cause flickering on some CFL bulbs and LED lighting.

So far as I know, turning off the Local Control option in the module disables it from turning on, but does not stop that small sense current. As an alternative, you can add a cube tap and add another load--an incandescent night light or a small wall wart power supply--to absorb this current, or you can use an InLineLinc instead. Neither the InLineLinc nor the SwitchLinc products have the Local Control feature.

Hi,

thanks to all of you for the details you gave me about the problem ant the fix. I will definitely use the power bar trick as a permanent fix for this one : plug a power bar with its on light showing power On / Off. This built-in load is enough for absorbing the leak and effectively cancel the problem. Next is to plug the too small load, here LEDs, in that power bar.

I also understand that it can not be fixed without disabling the load sensing feature because that small current is both the detector for the load sense and the culprit for this problem.

The last idea would be to have 2 models of OutletLinc, just like there are switches and dimmers. The switch must be used for non-dimmable loads, the Cut-off OutletLinc would be required for loads to low like LEDs. Dimmers and LoadSensor Outlets would also be available.

One OutletLinc would offer LoadSense, the other would be low charge friendly.

Thanks again,

Jacques