Questions about the NS

paulbates

Hi Mark

Thanks for creating your nodeserver. I've been trying it out. I've used pushover with ISY NRs for a while and one thing I need to do is preserve their concept of Application, which is functionally more like a folder to me. I use App to define the general category, and currently have multiple different types of messages for each app that are defined in network resources.  Here is a view of my pushover page

image.thumb.png.69d48285edafd06d51e1f205c0873955.png

I also do variable substitution in some cases in the NRs. My questions are:

1. Can I maintain the multiple pushover Application model with the NS  & how using the api_key and user_key parameters & how?
  2. If yes, can I maintain multiple message texts for each Application & how? Its ok if they are separate "things" as defined in the NS config. I wasn't able to see how to do it
  3. Is there a way to maintain variable substitution?

If some of these are future features, I'd be glad to help test.

Paul

On 10/25/2019 at 12:57 PM, asbril said:

Can someone give some examples on how to use this Push nodeserver with my ISY ?

You can get a push notification to your phone every time a scene is activated. 

It took a little playing around to figure out what you need to do to make it work.  First, install pushover on your phone and register it.  Next they send you and email, confirm your email and go to their website.  You get a unique user key when you register with pushover.net (found on the website and in the registration email).  Now, you need to create an api key from within their website.  This is found under the "apps and plugins" menu.  Then you go back to polyglot and input these two keys into the node server as per the instructions there.  Then, also from within polyglot, you create additional nodes that show up as sub nodes under push in ISY.  Now, you can add those nodes to scenes and select what words you want pushed to you.  Just like any other device in a scene, you need to go through each controller and select what you want to happen when the scene is activated (ie what words to push to your phone).  Initially, it will show up as "default" as the action ISY takes in response to the scene.  "default" does nothing, you need to change it to "command" and then select some words to push.  When you activate the scene, you get the message on your phone within a second or two.

I just added this node to my new polisy, so it seems to play fine with it.

It is free for 7 days, then it looks like I'll need to spend $4 or so to buy the app if I want to keep using it. 

I'm using this nodeserver just to get the status of stuff.  Examples:

• When my whole home humidifier starts
  • When my Water Cop shuts of domestic water
  • When the house temperature gets too low
  • When a door is left open
  • When my wife crosses a geofence
  • When the bathroom humidity gets too high
  • When someone approaches the front door
  • etc. etc

For anything you can put it in the "If" stanza of a program, you can use the Push nodeserver to send you a notification in the "Then" stanza.  You just need to make a useful/descriptive custom parameters in the nodeserver.

Enter your Pushover credentials:

Key                 Value

api_key             aslkti34cexample9faspff9bs
user_key            11lkj3an4kfother8s089exmpl90

Enter things:

Front Door          you can leave this blank
Garage Door
Etc

The Key is limited to a max of 20 characters and will be truncated if longer.

Be sure to save changes and restart the nodeserver.

6 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

If you are writing programs, you can just send yourself a text.

Since it's so easy to use, it's very handy when testing for conditions that change infrequently or irregularly.  I guess I'm using it as a development aid.

46 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Curious if either of you are able to use the multiple application (folder) feature of pushover with this nodeserver? Or are your various notifications coming in a single list?

I had never even heard of pushover until yesterday.  So clearly, I'm not into the subtle stuff.  It seems to me that the NS only allows a single api_key and as I look at what you are doing, it appears to require a different api_key for each item in the folder.

As opposed to using a single api key, what advantage does multiple api keys have?  At a glance, the only thing that pops out at me is the fact that you get an individual count on the pushover website.

1 hour ago, paulbates said:

Curious if either of you are able to use the multiple application (folder) feature of pushover with this nodeserver? Or are your various notifications coming in a single list?

I'm only using a single application on Pushover, and I don't see how you can do anything else with the nodeserver.  My use case is to receive notifications on my Apple Watch, which is what I promptly get, and for that, it works like a charm.

1 hour ago, apostolakisl said:

I had never even heard of pushover until yesterday.  So clearly, I'm not into the subtle stuff.  It seems to me that the NS only allows a single api_key and as I look at what you are doing, it appears to require a different api_key for each item in the folder.

As opposed to using a single api key, what advantage does multiple api keys have?  At a glance, the only thing that pops out at me is the fact that you get an individual count on the pushover website.

See the first post of an example of pushover using multiple folder (applications in their vernacular). You can look at all messages in temporal order.. and, you can see messages specific to a particular topic filed by topic/category. I can see everything happening in my house, and I can see just sprinkler notifications, hvac, etc

1 hour ago, Bumbershoot said:

I'm only using a single application on Pushover, and I don't see how you can do anything else with the nodeserver.  My use case is to receive notifications on my Apple Watch, which is what I promptly get, and for that, it works like a charm.

Thanks @Bumbershoot, I think that's the answer I was looking for. Given I that I've built a number of NR with the different keys for the different apps and can simply copy them, this NS doesn't really make sense for me. Overall I'm less concerned about "in the moment" notifications except for the alarm system and a few others that I have custom phone sounds for. The rest are to review what's going with the house when I have time.

Paul

1 hour ago, paulbates said:

See the first post of an example of pushover using multiple folder (applications in their vernacular). You can look at all messages in temporal order.. and, you can see messages specific to a particular topic filed by topic/category. I can see everything happening in my house, and I can see just sprinkler notifications, hvac, etc

I don't see the temporal display in the screen shot.  Perhaps the one on top is most recent.  If you aren't really interested in the instant notification, then the whole concept of a "push" notification seems unnecessary and actually annoying since your phone will be beeping at you about things that you don't seem to really care to be instantly notified.  You could just do a variable counter on ISY and it would also give you the exact time of the most recent event.  Or have ISY email you and you can just do an email search and get a listing of all the events along with the time of the event.  Gmail will count them for you too.  Just put in a start and end time and it will tell you the number of emails with the title you specified.  

Actually no. Having a single app with a badge count of house only activities has worked really well. Most of my ISY related notifications are sent by programs and only periodically. Unless I'm debugging a new program and sending debug messages for that, I don't get a lot of notifications on purpose. Given my job and in general, I don't want to see every little thing that happens in my house. If I notice something that needs attention, I write an automated ISY program response to it so I don't have to watch it.  

The few that do want to know about right away have a specific sound. Usually once a day I look and see how things are going

In the pushover mobile app, the pushover "applications" look like this. The number to the right is the number of messages in the group

image.png.e8436b5cb178387a0b96bd29332c2d15.png

when I press "all messages" I see temporal list of all activities:

image.png.dca08c1a9128b5952ac059b3fa704cb3.png

When I press any "App". I see the specific log of one kind of activity, like sprinkler.  Most of these have a slower cadence and I don't see, and don't want, a lot of individual activity messages. There can be numerous types of messages for each activity that come from ISY programs. They determine to update or if there's a problem.

This type of analysis was useful this summer when I noticed that the number of sprinkler messages was down. The rainmachine had skipped waterings due to forecast, but the forecast was wrong. My rain sensor did not show enough rain to skip a watering... that didn't make sense. After looking at my RM I was able to figure out what was wrong and request a feature from io_guy for nodelink and working on new programs; that will have another message when they're active. 

image.png.07ce6644ce66864b69e1add084e1f8c6.png

@paulbates

I see that this works well for you.  I do something very similar using email.  Items that show up from certain senders or having certain subjects get shunted directly to their respective folders.  In my case, this tracks the hvac units at my church.  I click on the various folders in gmail, and I get lists that look a lot like yours.  I'm pretty sure this is effectively identical to what the push folders are doing for you.  The thing with push is that it forces an update to my phone every time something happens, and I don't care to have my phone accept a notification every time an hvac unit flips on or off.  With a couple of exceptions, it seems that you also don't care to have your phone notified with all of these events.  This doesn't seem to be a problem since I suppose you can just silence these notifications, but it is using up battery.

Right, but as pointed out, I have programs that overlook things, and only summary NRs with inserted variables are used. I get a summary report once a day for each furnace with cycles, runtimes, fan cycles and humidification cycles. I do have specific messages for comm errors, etc which come infrequently if at all.  I count on my tstats to manage the systems, they've been reliable for 5 years.. The same is true for irrigation.. I don't want to know when each zone opens.. I want to know about rainfall, when programs ran and when the system decides to change field capacity in spring and fall.

The "every time something happens" means something different in my case and I don't ever have "all these events". Pushover is part of a management system.

Paul

6 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Right, but as pointed out, I have programs that overlook things, and only summary NRs with inserted variables are used. I get a summary report once a day for each furnace with cycles, runtimes, fan cycles and humidification cycles. I do have specific messages for comm errors, etc which come infrequently if at all.  I count on my tstats to manage the systems, they've been reliable for 5 years.. The same is true for irrigation.. I don't want to know when each zone opens.. I want to know about rainfall, when programs ran and when the system decides to change field capacity in spring and fall.

The "every time something happens" means something different in my case and I don't ever have "all these events". Pushover is part of a management system.

Paul

I guess I don't understand how pushover is doing anything more for you than email is doing for me?  Those other things you speak aren't dependent on being pushed.  The variable substitutions and all of that would be exactly the same with email delivery vs pushover delivery.  In my case, I get notified with every change to a thermostat setting.  I also get a weekly email that uses variable substitution telling me run times.   Examples below.  And using folders and filters, I can filter these alerts into any sort of "log" I like.  

ISY Alerts <alerts@universal-devices.com>
Sat, Nov 2, 2:00 AM (1 day ago)
to 

TGOC HVAC Minute Log for Full Week Ended 2019/11/02  2:00:00 AM

Mt. Tabor Office Hallway 745
Mt. Tabor Upstairs 59
Mt. Tabor Hall Back Wall 554
Mt. Tabor Hall Side Wall 320
Sanctuary Upstairs North 552
Sanctuary Upstairs South 169
Sanctuary Narthex 547
Sanctuary Altar South 211
Sanctuary Altar North 817
ISY Alerts <alerts@universal-devices.com>
7:55 AM (1 hour ago)
to 

Mt. Tabor Hall Back Wall Mode: Auto
Heat Set Point: 68.0°
Cool Set Point: 72.0°

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2019 at 12:12 AM, Bumbershoot said:

I'm using this nodeserver just to get the status of stuff.  Examples:

• When my whole home humidifier starts
  • When my Water Cop shuts of domestic water
  • When the house temperature gets too low
  • When a door is left open
  • When my wife crosses a geofence
  • When the bathroom humidity gets too high
  • When someone approaches the front door
  • etc. etc

For anything you can put it in the "If" stanza of a program, you can use the Push nodeserver to send you a notification in the "Then" stanza.  You just need to make a useful/descriptive custom parameters in the nodeserver.

Enter your Pushover credentials:

api_key             RETRACTED
user_key            RETRACTED

Enter things:

Front Door          you can leave this blank
Garage Door
Etc

The Key is limited to a max of 20 characters and will be truncated if longer.

Be sure to save changes and restart the nodeserver.

When my wife crosses a geofence....

Huh? WTF! Ok. Well that's strange...

Also, if that's your real api_key and user_key for pushover, I'd change it now. People can access your pushover account if it's true...

4 minutes ago, EddieRock said:

Also, if that's your real api_key and user_key for pushover, I'd change it now. People can access your pushover account if it's true...

Ha! I now see the words example in them. Nice. I really feel like trying to decipher your user key but I'm too tired.

7 hours ago, EddieRock said:

I get a notification on my watch when she gets within about a minute of being home -- it sounds like a joke, but you might be surprised how handy that can be, for both of us -- especially if you have excitable dogs.

Not mine.  I think that came from the nodeserver documentation.

Yah, my wife is much happier when she walks in the door and I'm doing something that she approves of. Like dishes or vacuuming. If I'm online or watching TV, I get a different version of my wife. One we all don't like. My garage door notification and Tesla app help me with this. 

I was just giving you a hard time ?

EddieRock

I always am hard at work when my wife gets home.

It can be a bit of a scramble but, the Echoes voicing...

.... 'garage door one has opened'

gives me enough time to spring into action, spray some simulated sweat around my armpits, and create the look.

The girlfriend hates the dark closet for extended periods, and I really need to replace the grip strips on the fire escape ladder, though.

Sent using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I always am hard at work when my wife gets home.

It can be a bit of a scramble but, the Echoes voicing...

.... 'garage door one has opened'

gives me enough time to spring into action, spray some simulated sweat around my armpits, and create the look.

The girlfriend hates the dark closet for extended periods, and I really need to replace the grip strips on the fire escape ladder, though.

Sent using Tapatalk

I programmed my Blue Iris camera at the end of the driveway to trigger ISY to make my light switches go "beep, beep, beep" when someone enters the driveway.  Gives me a good minute to get off the phone with my girlfriend.  ? 

Just to be clear, that was a joke, the girlfriend part I mean. 

My wife put some geo-fence app on my phone that consistently makes her phone beep when I cross a boundary around my house or office that is maybe 300 yards diameter.  So she really keeps tabs on me.

I programmed my Blue Iris camera at the end of the driveway to trigger ISY to make my light switches go "beep, beep, beep" when someone enters the driveway.  Gives me a good minute to get off the phone with my girlfriend.   

Just to be clear, that was a joke, the girlfriend part I mean. 

My wife put some geo-fence app on my phone that consistently makes her phone beep when I cross a boundary around my house or office that is maybe 300 yards diameter.  So she really keeps tabs on me.

My wife's phone would be beeping all the time...

Oh... you mean a 'distance' boundary. default_smile.png

Sent using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

For first time I see the benefits of having a non-techie wife:-D

4 minutes ago, asbril said:

For first time I see the benefits of having a non-techie wife:-D

She tells me it was inspired by our 16-year-old daughter and her paranoia about something happening to her and her newly found driving freedom.  But slipping it in my phone isn't so clear.  She tells me it helps her have my martini ready when I walk in the door.

Archived