Just an update: "Simple Control"... formerly "Roomie Remote", is now, once again, "Roomie Remote." I guess somebody over there agreed with most of us that the change in their unique "Roomie Remote" name to the generic "Simple Control" was a bad idea. They basically made themselves disappear in any search engine query with that poorly thought-out move.

With the change back to the original name, they also have dropped a lot of the other bad ideas they had, which tried to convert their "home automation for the masses / DIY" base toward an installer-based market in the direction of something like Control-4. They should've realized that Roomie Remote was popular because it wasn't like Control-4/Savant/etc. with the restrictions on who could purchase & program the kit, and all the associated higher costs, proprietary hardware, etc.

As mentioned previously, the new version, Roomie Remote 6,  also does away with the need for any Hub software to synchronize multiple remote control devices. Synchronization is now handled through iCloud synch, which is working great. Just set-up a "Home" and invite other users to utilize the shared configuration (such as family members or dedicated home devices in Family Sharing.)

They also have a new Mac OS app in addition to the iOS/iPadOS app. I don't quite understand why they need to charge the additional $9.99 for the new version of the MacOS app and the iOS/iPadOS app... I think they should make them free since they are already charging a good amount for the subscription, without which the app doesn't function. They seem to be opening themselves up for a lot of complaints by "double-charging" in this manner.

Aside from the Hub software no longer being needed, the new version has also gotten rid of the remote access function, which they realized is best handled by a dedicated VPN solution.

All in all, I am very happy that they made all these changes which are definitely for the better. I am glad they realized the direction they had gone in since their renaming was a disaster and are now back on track.

I am also very impressed by the speed in which they are addressing problems in the betas and the enhancements they have been adding. Now if only they could get Sonos source/track/list controls working....

"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)"...

• 3 months later...

@wintermute How are you using it now that it has been updated? Are you still a big believer in Roomie? I used to have lighting and cameras as url functions, but I no longer have them since update to 6.x. For our house, Roomie has just been a reliable remote. I ultimately want our tablets/wall-panel to function seamlessly with the various systems (ELK, ISY, Lorex cameras, RING doorbell, A/V system, thermostats...). Now that our house is on market, it is glaringly clear that I don't have a nice looking app or anything easy for the agent to use. I'm trying to figure out OpenHab right now as possible solution. 

I'm still using Roomie. The new version is working fairly well, but I am still playing with different ways of dealing with the Apple ID account tied to the purchase of the Roomie app. I first tried setting up a separate Apple ID for the house iPads to which I would share access to the configuration from my iPhone. However, I found that they would lose the shared configuration every so often and then I would have to go to the Homes tab and re-activate my shared configuration on the home iPads. That was a bit annoying. Now I am trying setting up house iPads with my own account, but then enabling restrictions via Screen Time, etc. to prevent access to my email, etc. on these shared iPads. I'm not sure I will keep it this way as I am concerned about having my personal account active on shared iPads... I don't want a guest to accidentally delete any of my files or email. Has anybody figured out a good way to deal with the Roomie account set-up for their home?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

installed this new version from the Admin console everything works fine...however I use Roomie Remote ver 6.x on my iPads and I have several ofthese in each room....there is. 4/5 second lag for each command basically it’s slow to respond...I don’t have such issues with 4.7.x please help.

3 hours ago, SSS said:

installed this new version from the Admin console everything works fine...however I use Roomie Remote ver 6.x on my iPads and I have several ofthese in each room....there is. 4/5 second lag for each command basically it’s slow to respond...I don’t have such issues with 4.7.x please help.

Not sure what you mean by "installed [it] from the Admin console"...  Just install it from the AppStore like any other app. It should use your old Roomie config and update it to work with the new version (at least it does this if you were running SimpleControl v.5x--- not as sure about updating from Roomie Remote 4.7.x.) If it's slow to respond, you may either have a network issue, or you might be running multiple versions of Roomie Remote / SimpleControl at the same time (perhaps on an AppleTV or Mac?). To troubleshoot, try starting with just one controlling device (iPad or iPhone) and be sure all other controller devices are powered off. Get just one working first. Reinstall and start with a clean slate if you need to. Reboot your router and any network ethernet switches if you see any weird lag with a clean slate. After you get one device working well with Roomie Remote 6.x, save a back-up to iCloud (under "Homes".) Then open Roomie Remote on another device with your same Apple ID-- it should automatically use the current configuration; if not, load it from iCloud. For devices with other Apple IDs, you can share the configuration from the first device from "Homes / Sharing" with the other Apple IDs. Then see my previous post above for sharing the primary account's iCloud Roomie Remote folder with other Apple IDs.

6 hours ago, wintermute said:

Not sure what you mean by "installed [it] from the Admin console"...  Just install it from the AppStore like any other app. It should use your old Roomie config and update it to work with the new version (at least it does this if you were running SimpleControl v.5x--- not as sure about updating from Roomie Remote 4.7.x.) If it's slow to respond, you may either have a network issue, or you might be running multiple versions of Roomie Remote / SimpleControl at the same time (perhaps on an AppleTV or Mac?). To troubleshoot, try starting with just one controlling device (iPad or iPhone) and be sure all other controller devices are powered off. Get just one working first. Reinstall and start with a clean slate if you need to. Reboot your router and any network ethernet switches if you see any weird lag with a clean slate. After you get one device working well with Roomie Remote 6.x, save a back-up to iCloud (under "Homes".) Then open Roomie Remote on another device with your same Apple ID-- it should automatically use the current configuration; if not, load it from iCloud. For devices with other Apple IDs, you can share the configuration from the first device from "Homes / Sharing" with the other Apple IDs. Then see my previous post above for sharing the primary account's iCloud Roomie Remote folder with other Apple IDs.

6 hours ago, wintermute said:

0374E0E0-99C3-4C3E-BAA9-4C8CC4F4AB61.jpeg

Just now, SSS said:

0374E0E0-99C3-4C3E-BAA9-4C8CC4F4AB61.jpeg

I meant for this admin console with ver ISY 5.0.16c  There is no lag everything works fine...then I try on Roomie Remote ver 6...latest there is a significant lag. Also scenes won’t work...,if I use MobiLinc apps they all work fine no lag. When I go back to ISY 4.7 Roomie Remote works just fine. Yes I do have 4/5 iPads one for each room on the wall....but 4.7 is no issue....I believe UD and RomieRemote have to get together to resolve this...as RR say everything is working fine from their end and passion on the buck to UD

2 minutes ago, SSS said:

I meant for this admin console with ver ISY 5.0.16c  There is no lag everything works fine...then I try on Roomie Remote ver 6...latest there is a significant lag. Also scenes won’t work...,if I use MobiLinc apps they all work fine no lag. When I go back to ISY 4.7 Roomie Remote works just fine. Yes I do have 4/5 iPads one for each room on the wall....but 4.7 is no issue....I believe UD and RomieRemote have to get together to resolve this...as RR say everything is working fine from their end and passion on the buck to UD

Also can you share what versions of ISY and RR you are using and overall devices count type, switch, dimmer, IO links 

Good timing, I was wondering about this. I JUST updated to 5.0.16c and I use Roomie Remote. No complicated scenario like multiple phones/iPads on different accounts. (One phone. One ipad).

I really just want to get my isy994i to shut everything down when I fall alseep with the system on! Maybe switch my surrounds from back speakers to hokey speaker bar emulation when I am in an adjacent room based on lighting. (I have a switch on an IR bus for that.)

I just got a Polisy (that was my reason for upgrading to 5.0.16c from 4.x.). I see there is a poly for SimpleControl but obviously will not work with Roomie Remote.

What are my options? I don't see anything in the Admin Console about Roomie Remote? do I use the SimpleControl poly even though it's now Roomie Remote? Is thee some app I install on my Mac that emulates the old server?

OK, I see there is Roomie on the Mac App Store. There are In App Purchases, it looks like they are just the subscription levels? (Which I already have on iOS, so don't need to duplicate?)

Are there other, round-about routes?

e.g. through HomeKit? (I've yet to touch HomeKit, as no HomeKit devices...)

Google Home?

IFTTT?

I do have an always-on Mac Mini. Just seems a bit silly, ISY, Polisy, Mac Mini bouncy bouncy bouncy LOL. At least that's better than a dedicated iDevice...

So, I think your discussing something else. Confused!

I just installed the Roomie Remote app on my Mac Mini from the MacOS App Store.

Installed the SimpleControl poly on Polisy.

Added Node Server to ISY.

Added all nodes. (SimpleHub, Device)

No idea what to do next. SimpleHome appears under ISY. I can query.

How do I use it? Or is this the wrong thing/obsolete?

I have to leave the app open on the Mac Mini? No real headless service? Better than nothing!

I do see my configuration in the MacOS app.

As to the MacOS Roomie app, it is pretty messed-up.

I can switch, for example, between activities TV, Apple TV, BluRay, etc.

But the selected activity doesn't get highlighted!

And I don't get a channel guide on TV. But I do get a (blank) channel guide on Apple TV!

I may refund it. Is it any part of an ISY solution?

Hmmm, it's confused about state. So, now I choose Apple TV, but it stays on TV. I can access the channel guide. I actually can't change to Apple TV now. Clicking on Apple TV just stays on TV.

And my system is switched to TV, but I have the controls for Apple TV. But I have the channel guide.... what a mess!

On 5/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, jtara92101 said:

Good timing, I was wondering about this. I JUST updated to 5.0.16c and I use Roomie Remote. No complicated scenario like multiple phones/iPads on different accounts. (One phone. One ipad).

I really just want to get my isy994i to shut everything down when I fall alseep with the system on! Maybe switch my surrounds from back speakers to hokey speaker bar emulation when I am in an adjacent room based on lighting. (I have a switch on an IR bus for that.)

I just got a Polisy (that was my reason for upgrading to 5.0.16c from 4.x.). I see there is a poly for SimpleControl but obviously will not work with Roomie Remote.

What are my options? I don't see anything in the Admin Console about Roomie Remote? do I use the SimpleControl poly even though it's now Roomie Remote? Is thee some app I install on my Mac that emulates the old server?

OK, I see there is Roomie on the Mac App Store. There are In App Purchases, it looks like they are just the subscription levels? (Which I already have on iOS, so don't need to duplicate?)

Are there other, round-about routes?

e.g. through HomeKit? (I've yet to touch HomeKit, as no HomeKit devices...)

Google Home?

IFTTT?

I do have an always-on Mac Mini. Just seems a bit silly, ISY, Polisy, Mac Mini bouncy bouncy bouncy LOL. At least that's better than a dedicated iDevice...

I am assuming you have Insteon switch that controls a light connected to ISY...so with ISY version 5x and RR ver 6 from MAC Mini when you turn on the light on how long is the lag, instantly or after 2/3 seconds ?

Ok... Apparently we were talking about different things here... I was referring specifically to the RoomieRemote app. Both of you seem to be referring to the Poly node for SimpleControl. You will need to contact the developer of that node here:  https://github.com/exking/udi-simplehub-poly

I don't believe it is compatible with the current version of Roomie Remote, nor do I think it was ever finished by the looks of the version number and the last time it was updated. (I installed it on my Policy previously, but that's as far as I got.)

As far as how I use Roomie Remote with ISY, I let each do what it does best. Roomie has a better end-user GUI and control over AV gear. ISY excels at lighting, HVAC, and irrigation control with very stable and robust scripting. I use Roomie as the interface and created buttons, sliders, etc. to command devices/scenes/programs in ISY. If you want a button in Roomie to turn off all your lights at night, just make a button and point it to an ISY "lights off" scene. If you want it to automatically do this, you need to set a trigger, like no motion events for X amount of time or a simple timer... and this is likely done best in ISY.

Roomie Remote for the Mac is a client/controller app just like on iOS. It is not like the old SimpleControl Hub. The new Roomie Remote does not use a Hub... it uses iCloud to share its configuration and synchronizes states without a hub. Many people will find the Roomie App for Mac a bit redundant since they will likely have their iPhone on them at all times, but some may prefer it if they are working on their Mac a lot.

As far as lag in controlling ISY / Insteon lights through Roomie, I had some lag (about a second) previously, but it seems to have resolved itself. I did notice that controlling a light via an ISY  scene versus directly sometimes gave me a faster response. When wanting to control multiple lights, I use ISY scenes since the scene control in Roomie tends to send commands to each light in sequence versus all at once.

My TV guide is working fine in Roomie. The Sonos Guide doesn't seem to respond to some selections still, so I created a button in Roomie to switch to the native Sonos app if needed.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, SSS said:

Also can you share what versions of ISY and RR you are using and overall devices count type, switch, dimmer, IO links 

ISY 5.0.16rc. Roomie Remote 6.2.1. AV devices (amps, AppleTVs, TVs, Consoles, Sonos, etc.) = about 16. Insteon Dimmers, Motion Sensors, Smoke Alarms and Irrigation devices = about 40. I have older client installations (still on SimpleControl 5.x) with well over 150 devices.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, jtara92101 said:

As to the MacOS Roomie app, it is pretty messed-up.

I can switch, for example, between activities TV, Apple TV, BluRay, etc.

But the selected activity doesn't get highlighted!

And I don't get a channel guide on TV. But I do get a (blank) channel guide on Apple TV!

I may refund it. Is it any part of an ISY solution?

Hmmm, it's confused about state. So, now I choose Apple TV, but it stays on TV. I can access the channel guide. I actually can't change to Apple TV now. Clicking on Apple TV just stays on TV.

And my system is switched to TV, but I have the controls for Apple TV. But I have the channel guide.... what a mess!

I have the Roomie Mac App... it works just like the iOS version for me. No problems. You might need to back up your working config and reload it.

I had issues with Sharing my Roomie config previously. This is what I was instructed to do:

On the main device associated with the Apple ID that owns the subscription:
1. Ensure you have a backup of your configuration, the file named RoomieBackup.zip, and move it out of your iCloud Drive.
2. Go to the iOS Settings app, tap the top item for your iCloud account, tap “iCloud”, tap “Manage Storage”, scroll down to any items labelled “Simple Control” or “Roomie Remote”, tap them and then tap “Delete Documents & Data”. Also perform this step on the iCloud account on devices to which you plan to share.
3. Delete all Simple Control or Roomie Remote apps from your iOS device(s) as well as any iOS devices to which you plan to share. Make sure this is complete including any older apps.
4. Install Roomie Remote V6.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1455871956?mt=8
5. Make a fake backup just to ensure the Roomie Remote directory exists in your iCloud Drive. Then delete everything in that directory.
6. Restore your backup from step 1 via Restore from iCloud Drive (move RoomieBackup.zip back to the top level of the empty Roomie Remote folder). Make sure never to create the iCloud Drive directories manually.
[If your subscription was started in Simple Control V5, at this point install Simple Control V5 on your owning device as well. Run it and Restore Purchases. Nothing else needs to be done in that app. Make sure to turn off Background App Refresh for it in Apple’s Settings app.]
7. Use the Restore Purchases button (in V6) after your configuration has been restored.
8. Assuming everything is now working, install V6 on any additional device of the same Apple ID, launch it, and allow 1 minute to synchronize with the app open in the foreground.
9. Assuming everything is now working, install V6 on any devices that use a different Apple ID, launch it, and then return to the owning Apple ID's device and then share the home from the Homes panel in Roomie to the Apple ID of the secondary device. We recommend using iMessage for this step.
10. Accept the share on the secondary device and return to Roomie Remote on that device. The home should populate. If not, check the Homes panel to make sure the correct Home is now added and is listed under the "Shared" category, and Activated.
11. Restore Purchases on the owning device. Restore Purchases on any shared device. Leave them open for 1 minute to ensure full sync and recognition of purchases.

Also refer to the post regarding the update to Folder Sharing on IOS. 

Basically, Roomie does everything you would use MobiLinc for, with the addition of also controlling all your AV gear and other remote controllable devices. Roomie can talk directly to many devices over IP and provides a very easy and clean interface for everything... which, IMHO, is the main thing that ISY is missing. I look at it like ISY being a "server" or "back end" while Roomie is more like the "browser" providing a unified interface for ISY, Amplifiers, Consoles, TVs. etc. From my understanding, Poliglot / Nodes adds functionality that adds, among other things, the ability for ISY to be a "server" or "hub" for even more devices aside from Insteon and Z-wave devices, such as MagicHome Lights, Philips Hue, etc. Some of this functionality overlaps with Roomie as Roomie can control things like Philips Hue by itself already. So in these overlapping cases, you will need to see what works best. 

2 hours ago, wintermute said:

ISY 5.0.16rc. Roomie Remote 6.2.1. AV devices (amps, AppleTVs, TVs, Consoles, Sonos, etc.) = about 16. Insteon Dimmers, Motion Sensors, Smoke Alarms and Irrigation devices = about 40. I have older client installations (still on SimpleControl 5.x) with well over 150 devices.

Wow that’s impressive and I assume when you turn on the Insteon dimmer light it just turns on instantaneously. Not sure why in my case it takes 3/4 seconds...I tried everything that you suggested.

31 minutes ago, SSS said:

Wow that’s impressive and I assume when you turn on the Insteon dimmer light it just turns on instantaneously. Not sure why in my case it takes 3/4 seconds...I tried everything that you suggested.

3/4 or 3 to 4 seconds? 0.75 isn’t bad. 3 to 4, you definitely need to troubleshoot. Try creating Roomie buttons to activate ISY scenes... tends to work faster than Roomie’s individual light control. I usually have about four light scene buttons per room as well as an Off button. I use them more often than the Roomie “Home Bar” light controls. 

It’s 3 to 4 seconds....I can try Scene activity but then it won’t show the status....I am using home bar scene for activity type in RR. Also ver thing works fine with ISY 4.7 it’s 5.x that’s the issue something is broken

On 5/24/2020 at 10:35 AM, SSS said:

It’s 3 to 4 seconds....I can try Scene activity but then it won’t show the status....I am using home bar scene for activity type in RR. Also ver thing works fine with ISY 4.7 it’s 5.x that’s the issue something is broken

Shoot... I had some issues when I first tried an earlier version of ISY 5.x, but the issues were mostly resolved when I tried ISY 5.16rc and the latest versions of RoomieRemote 6.x... I did do some clean-up and reloaded things more than once. I re-did a few scripts. Maybe check some of the older posts on this problem and review some of these ISY tips. I do recall having to do a complete Factory Reset and Restore from an older back-up when I tried to downgrade my ISY to 4.x from 5.14b from my Mac... it seems my Mac wouldn't fully load all the firmware properly. Michel mentioned it may have been a firewall or permissions issue. I ended up using an old Windows laptop and it downgraded/reloaded without issue. Are you on a Mac by chance? If so, you might try backing up, factory resetting and then restoring from a Windows machine and see if it makes any difference.

Since you said it works fine under ISY 4.7, the following probably isn't the issue, but it is still good to check. https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON:_Troubleshooting_Communications_Errors

A little more info for Insteon "newbies"... Insteon devices (at least the preferred Dual-Band devices) can communicate over both electrical house wiring and wirelessly. Typical house wiring in the US is split from the main 240v feed into two 110v "halves" at the electric breaker panel. This splitting isolates communication over the house wiring into each "half". To allow the Insteon wired signals to be sent and received properly, you need to bridge these two halves with an Insteon Powerline Phase Coupler or with two Dual-Band Insteon Devices (one on each "half" near the breaker panel and in close proximity to one another.)

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is entirely relevant but if you are experiencing delay's with Roomie 6.x between roomie and the device, you need to makes sure you've designated a "primary device" and that it's on and accessible. 

Unfortunately, I don't think the SImple Control nodeserver is going anywhere.  I've corresponded with the developer a few times and I didn't get the impression that he has any interest in making it fully compatible with 6.x.

Another way to integrate ISY and Roomie is by using Network Resources.  It's complex but pretty rock solid.  There are some forum posts on how to do it.

Archived