Multiple Amazon Alexa Dots

barrygordon

My home has 4 Alexa Dots and one Fire TV Cube.  They are all in a single account. the Alexa dots are in the kitchen, office, master bedroom and guest bedroom. The Fire TV Cube is in the theater and acts as the Dot for the theater.  They are isolated enough so that if I speak in a normal tone/volume the correct Dot (the one I want to handle the command) fields the command.  I know there is a way to have the units respond differently to the same spoken command depending on what unit handles the request.  For example I would like to say "turn off the lights" and depending on which unit fielded the request have the lights in that room be turned off. Requests with specific room names (e.g. "turn off the kitchen lights")  or that only reference a single specific device or scene  (e.g. "turn off the outside lights" ) operate with any of the Alexa units in the same manner.

I tried to do this without success several years ago. IIRC it required me to set up sub-accounts, and there was a limit on the number of sub-accounts.  I would like to try again. Is there a tutorial on how to do this? If so could someone point me to it.  If there is no tutorial can someone provide advice/guidance.

They once were called "Smart Groups" now they are just groups.  Here's the help doc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201749250

The basics are to create a group aka Room and add the echo to that room you want to be the controller.  Then any devices you add to that group will be controlled by the simple phrases.  Such as "turn on the lights".  This will turn on EVERY device you add to this group. 

Archived