Dark Sky --> Setting Variables, two issues

dbwarner5

I am trying to set some variables using the Dark Sky nodes of Wind Speed, Wind Direction and Wind Gusts. 

Two issues:

1) I have tried to set them as both State and Integer variables. Only wind direction shows up and works in both types of variables. The others do not populate anything meaningful.

2) I set the node server up in English units. It reports in my tree in English units, however in the programming, in attempting the above, it shows it as metric 

I'm not seeing either of those issues.

1) Both wind speed and gust speed are assigned to the integer values that match what's showing on the node display (2mph and 5mph). I tried both state and and integer variables and both are working as expected.  The factional part of the speed is truncated but that makes sense when assigning them to integer variables.

2) In the programming interface, I can select either MPH or M/S for the units to use when assigning the variables. There's a drop down box at the end that allows you to select the units to use.

Typically, issues within the programming interface are related to the profile files.  You might want to try updating the profile and then restarting the admin console.

thanks @bpwwer . This is my first polyglot. Can you point me in the right direction by what you mean updating the profile files? 

Here are three screen shots that show the display screen has the right units (English) and data. When I go to program a variable, it shows up in metric and there is no way to change it, and then when I try to populate the variables, nothing comes in for wind speed or gust speed.

thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 9.16.15 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 9.15.07 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 9.14.04 AM.jpg

So I found the update profile button. but in the meantime, the portal and the polyglot cloud suddenly cant find my isy. don't think its a problem on my end as I have been able to use cell service on my phone and connect via mobillinc. Nothing changed that I know of.. have rebooted several times. as well as rebooting my router... checked the settings in my router, they all appear to be unchanged. I have posted this in 

No replies or thoughts from anyone yet... really frustrating that this has gone awry.

In attempting to fix this issue, I tried to delete the node and reload it. I must have done this in the wrong order from what I can tell. I deleted the profile on the Isy. Then when I tried to load the polyglot page, it did nothing but give me errors and eventually “lost” the Isy. This led the portal to also “loose” contact with my ISY.  

The ISY could see the portal just fine, but not the other way around. I then deleted my Isy and reloaded it into the portal. There first time I then went to the polyglot site, things were fine for about 5 minutes and then the Isy got lost again. Dark sky was still trying to run but with nothing but errors. 

So I deleted my Isy and reloaded it again. This time, when I went to polyglot, I IMMEDIATELY deleted the node. All has been running fine since. 

HOWEVER in this whole process I lost close to 100 verbal Alexa commands from the portal.NOT A GOOD DAY.

this has led to the discovery that there is no decent way to export and reimport your “Alexa file”, putting at risk the key interface I now use with Isy. 

I will be starting a thread separately on this for UDI to consider if this would be possible. 

22 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

I deleted the profile on the Isy.

Never do this.  Never use the NodeServer dialog/dropdown box within the Admin Console for interacting/adding/deleting any Polyglot Nodeserver unless explicitly directed to by that Nodeserver developer.  This throws Polyglot and the ISY into an inconsistent state.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, dbwarner5 said:

In attempting to fix this issue, I tried to delete the node and reload it. I must have done this in the wrong order from what I can tell. I deleted the profile on the Isy. Then when I tried to load the polyglot page, it did nothing but give me errors and eventually “lost” the Isy. This led the portal to also “loose” contact with my ISY.  

The ISY could see the portal just fine, but not the other way around. I then deleted my Isy and reloaded it into the portal. There first time I then went to the polyglot site, things were fine for about 5 minutes and then the Isy got lost again. Dark sky was still trying to run but with nothing but errors. 

So I deleted my Isy and reloaded it again. This time, when I went to polyglot, I IMMEDIATELY deleted the node. All has been running fine since. 

HOWEVER in this whole process I lost close to 100 verbal Alexa commands from the portal.NOT A GOOD DAY.

this has led to the discovery that there is no decent way to export and reimport your “Alexa file”, putting at risk the key interface I now use with Isy. 

I will be starting a thread separately on this for UDI to consider if this would be possible. 

I'm sorry you went through all that just trying to get the node server to work.   

It really does look like the loaded profile files were out of date and that should have been a simple fix. I've had issues with the cloud based polyglot before too where things just don't work for a while.  I tend to just wait it out when that happens since I don't think there's anything we can do about (other than raise the issue). 

I'm not sure what state everything is in now but let me know if after everything is back up, if you're still have issues with the DarkSky node server.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

I'm sorry you went through all that just trying to get the node server to work.   

It really does look like the loaded profile files were out of date and that should have been a simple fix. I've had issues with the cloud based polyglot before too where things just don't work for a while.  I tend to just wait it out when that happens since I don't think there's anything we can do about (other than raise the issue). 

I'm not sure what state everything is in now but let me know if after everything is back up, if you're still have issues with the DarkSky node server.

thanks.. yes, I reloaded it last night, like you said, it takes. a while for it to settle down. It was not populating the forecasts nor all of the main data, but today they are all filled out. however, I still cannot get wind speed or wind gust to populate a variable in ISY, nor do I get to select in the programming mode mph, it only defaults to m/s even though my data is in mph. Any ideas here? 

See my screen shots from above. What am I missing? 

thanks

@dbwarner5 In your screenshot, the variable you show in your variable list and the variable you’re trying to update with your program don’t seem to have the same name.  You have variable named “Wind_Speed” in you’re program, but a variable shown as “I_Wind_Speed” that you’re looking to update?  Probably won’t work.  Do you have two variables with these similar but distinct names?

@Bumbershoot I have it trying to populate both an integer variable and a state variable just to see what would happen. Neither populate. but the other dark sky items will populate the varaiblabe,, just not Wind speed or wind gust.

The screen shot of the program was just to show that I CANNOT change the m/s to mph as was stated by an earlier post.

Looks like the current version can't switch units for wind speed. I have that fixed in the version I'm currently working on.  I need to push out an update as the new version has quite a few improvements.

15 hours ago, dbwarner5 said:

Neither populate. but the other dark sky items will populate the varaiblabe,, just not Wind speed or wind gust.

Something must be funky with your version/installation, as the Wind Speed value saves to a variable just fine here, so it can work as intended.  My units are all displayed in "us" format.  I'm running version 1.1.6, which is what is available in my NodeServer Store.  Good luck.

WindSpeedToVariable - [ID 00FE][Parent 00A7]

If
        'DarkSky' Wind Speed is not 0.0 mph

Then
        $s.WindSpeed  = 'DarkSky' Wind Speed mph

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

21 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

I am using 1.1.6 from the cloud version.

I'm running it locally, and it works as intended.  I can't imagine why there would be differences, but this might give the developer an idea.  Have to tired the "Update Profile" button?

5 hours ago, dbwarner5 said:

yes..nothing nothing changes with update profile button.. ISY shows a momentary "busy", and nothing changes. 

You do have to restart the admin console for it to re-read the updated profile files. 

The local and cloud are the same node server. I believe I originally had some different code paths for local and cloud but I don't think that's the case with 1.1.6.  I have a 2.0.0 version that I'll push out soon (tonight or tomorrow).  

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 4:58 PM, bpwwer said:

You do have to restart the admin console for it to re-read the updated profile files. 

The local and cloud are the same node server. I believe I originally had some different code paths for local and cloud but I don't think that's the case with 1.1.6.  I have a 2.0.0 version that I'll push out soon (tonight or tomorrow).  

@bpwwer  UPDATE... I received my polyisy the other day, and finally got a chance to get it up and running. I deleted the cloud version of Darksky and loaded it onto the polyisy.. everything is working GREAT!!! It is much quicker, and has more reliable data all across all fields!!  THANKS!! great app!

The only note for you to know is that the Forecast days did not automatically "group" under Dark sky. I dd find the right click "group devices" command and that solved it. After using ISY for over 10 years, I had never used that command before!  You may want to add a note on the GITHUB about that.. Otehrwise, the installation was super easy and the information on the variables configs was EXCELLENT!  Thanks!!

2 hours ago, dbwarner5 said:

@bpwwer  UPDATE... I received my polyisy the other day, and finally got a chance to get it up and running. I deleted the cloud version of Darksky and loaded it onto the polyisy.. everything is working GREAT!!! It is much quicker, and has more reliable data all across all fields!!  THANKS!! great app!

The only note for you to know is that the Forecast days did not automatically "group" under Dark sky. I dd find the right click "group devices" command and that solved it. After using ISY for over 10 years, I had never used that command before!  You may want to add a note on the GITHUB about that.. Otehrwise, the installation was super easy and the information on the variables configs was EXCELLENT!  Thanks!!

Thanks!  I'm glad it's working. I've been trying to make these weather service node servers as easy to use and stable and I think I've got them working pretty good now. Most of the issues now seem to be Polyglot issues.  The failure to group falls under that too.  The node server doesn't manage the grouping, Polyglot does and when creating a bunch of nodes it seems like it sometimes some of the group commands get dropped and nodes don't get properly grouped.   I  know from a user's perspective it doesn't really matter where the problem is so thanks for reporting it.

Archived