NTP Server DNS Error

j.rieff

I am quite sure this question has probably been answered a million times, but I could not find anything that provided me with a solution that works. 

On the configuration tab, I have the RED informational icon in front of the NTP Server entry. In the dialog box, I have entered pool.ntp.org. In fact, I really do not remember entering anything in this box. I think it was entered as part of my original installation. When I Click on the Synchronize Now button, I get an error dialog box with the message "NTP Server DNS Error."

Sometime after my original installation of my ISY, my ISP swapped out my router because they upgraded me (no extra cost) to a higher speed connection. My router address went from 192.168.x.x to 192.168.y.y where x and y are not the same. Obviously, this required me to have lots of fun since some of my network devices had static addresses on my LAN. I am fairly sure that the NTP server did synch in the earlier router configuration, but I will not swear to that. 

I am using port forwarding so I can access my ISY network when I am away from the house using AGAVE. I am using NO-IP for my DNS service to accomplish this. Not bad service you can use for free if you are willing to say YES once a month with NO-IP when they send you an email asking if you want to continue.

Now, in the configuration tab, there are 2 entries I really guessed at - GATEWAY and DNS. I used the same values from my router. Something tells me that really is not what I should be entering there. I have also tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the DNS as suggested by some of the other posts on this similar topic. 

My ISY RTC drift is a little bit more than I would expect. I know I can periodically resynch with the PC, but I am lazy.

Any solutions will be much appreciated. 

I am quite sure this question has probably been answered a million times, but I could not find anything that provided me with a solution that works. 
On the configuration tab, I have the RED informational icon in front of the NTP Server entry. In the dialog box, I have entered pool.ntp.org. In fact, I really do not remember entering anything in this box. I think it was entered as part of my original installation. When I Click on the Synchronize Now button, I get an error dialog box with the message "NTP Server DNS Error."
Sometime after my original installation of my ISY, my ISP swapped out my router because they upgraded me (no extra cost) to a higher speed connection. My router address went from 192.168.x.x to 192.168.y.y where x and y are not the same. Obviously, this required me to have lots of fun since some of my network devices had static addresses on my LAN. I am fairly sure that the NTP server did synch in the earlier router configuration, but I will not swear to that. 
I am using port forwarding so I can access my ISY network when I am away from the house using AGAVE. I am using NO-IP for my DNS service to accomplish this. Not bad service you can use for free if you are willing to say YES once a month with NO-IP when they send you an email asking if you want to continue.
Now, in the configuration tab, there are 2 entries I really guessed at - GATEWAY and DNS. I used the same values from my router. Something tells me that really is not what I should be entering there. I have also tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the DNS as suggested by some of the other posts on this similar topic. 
My ISY RTC drift is a little bit more than I would expect. I know I can periodically resynch with the PC, but I am lazy.
Any solutions will be much appreciated. 

Set your ISY Series Controller to use DHCP. Check your router as to what IP address has been provided.

Ideally you should reserve a DHCP address for any network appliance to insure all network changes will cascade and propagate. Doing this will also reduce the incidence of a IP conflict on the network.

Once the ISY Series Controller is set to DHCP to obtain a new IP address - reboot. Once the controller comes back up check the NTP.

Keep in mind you should check the error logs to narrow down the error code and compare it to the UDI WiKi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@TekenThanks a bunch. As in the past you have again saved me. 

I watched the video on Port Forwarding in the Wiki. That gave me some additional parts to the answer and solution. Your response and the video gave me one of those head slap "Duh - right" moments. 

Thanks again. 

@TekenThanks a bunch. As in the past you have again saved me. 
I watched the video on Port Forwarding in the Wiki. That gave me some additional parts to the answer and solution. Your response and the video gave me one of those head slap "Duh - right" moments. 

Thanks again. 

Awesome - For the benefit of others please do share root cause and what you did in your case to solve this issue.

This will surely come up again for someone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK folks. It has been suggested I provided you with some details of the solution to my problem concerning receiving DNS errors related to NTP. 

About a year ago, my ISP made some changes that actually benefitted me in the long run. However, I was provided with a new and better router. The IP address for my previous router was 192.168.x.x while the IP address for the new router was 192.168.y.y where x and y were not equal. 

I strongly suggest everyone take a look at the ISY User's Manual that is available via the Wiki (access via the link under the Help tab in the Admin Console). Read the section pertaining to installation of a new router. Also, watch the video on Port Forwarding. Most of your answers will be available through these 2 resources. 

In my case, when everything was back running on the new router I only made sure I could again access the system away from my house via AGAVE. Everything was working fine. 

I did not pay attention to how the GATEWAY and DNS fields under the Configuration Tab in the Admin Console were populated after the new router installed. GATEWAY needs to be populated with the address of your router (i.e., 192.168.y.y). The DNS field can be populated with your router address or 8.8.4.4 as suggested by the documentation and video.

Now, the documentation recommends you use DHCP for your ISY addressing rather than a Static IP address. I can verify both work. If you were smart and setup reserved areas for addressing DHCP works great. 

Now, I have noticed a few posts have indicated text messages are not working for folks. You might check to make sure the GATEWAY and DNS fields are populated as described above. 

Also, make sure you are using pool.ntp.org in the NTP server address field.

Now, onto another new task. Probably will be turning on lights based on light sensitivity features of the Motion Sensors. 

Archived