Understanding Notification Nodeserver

asbril

I am trying to add the Notification nodeserver but I am confused what key I have to add where. I found my Pushover key and also the Universal Devices. However I don't really understand where exactly to put these keys. After restarting the Nodeserver and the Administrative Console, the Notification Controller appears in my AC. What more do I need to do ? 

Furthermore, I would also like to understand what this nodeserver adds to the email notification that already exists in ISY.

Any help is welcome !

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

I did not succeed to properly program the Notification  nodeserver but I realized that I may not even need it. Pushover gives each user their own email address and I added this to the ISY notification feature. I made a program whereby an email is sent (which then instantaneously activates the Pushover App on my Iphone and Apple Watch) to let me know when one of my motion sensors goes ON.

Unless I am missing something about what the Notification nodeserver can do, the Pushover email option is sufficient.

Where I would appreciate help is with the following. Because the motion sensor, when activated, remains ON for a few minutes, my program sends me a second Pushover email after a few minutes. The program is :

IF 

Motion Sensor 1 is ON

or Motion Sensor 2 is ON

THEN

{Action - Notify}

Send Notification to Pushover

{"Pushover" is my "own" email address from Pushover}

What can I add to this program so that it will not send a second notification email ?

You could use a variable, probably your favorite thing and add a second program

1st pgm

same IF

then:

Set "Motion variable name" to "1"

Run Pgm 2

------

Pgm 2

IF "Motion Variable name" = "1"

Then Send notification to pushover

"Motion Variable name = "0"

Something like that may work

39 minutes ago, Mustang65 said:

You could use a variable, probably your favorite thing and add a second program

1st pgm

same IF

then:

Set "Motion variable name" to "1"

Run Pgm 2

------

Pgm 2

IF "Motion Variable name" = "1"

Then Send notification to pushover

"Motion Variable name = "0"

Something like that may work

It did the job.... Thanks !  and it actually gets me on the way of understanding Variables.

If you used a state variable, you don't need to 'Run Pgm2'. A change of the state variable will trigger program 2.

I don't know about you, but when one of my motion sensors is triggered, I like to know which one by just looking at the notification.

15 minutes ago, jfailenschmid said:

I like to know which one by just looking at the notification

The Pushover notification actually indicates which sensor was activated.

16 minutes ago, jfailenschmid said:

you don't need to 'Run Pgm2'

How would program 1 look like ?

Program 1 would just not have the 'Run Pgm2' statement. Program 2 stays the same. When the state variable changes (from 0 to 1) in program 1, program 2 is triggered. Once program 2 executes, its IF condition is checked and since the state variable is now 1, the notification is sent. 

Program 2 also changes the state variable (from 1 to 0). This again will trigger program 2. This time, the condition is not met and the two programs go back to the idle state of your little state machine. Yes, the variable is keeping track of the state of the system you created with the two programs, and I surmise that's why UDI called these kind of variables 'state variables'. Anyway, I get off my soap box now...

23 minutes ago, jfailenschmid said:

Program 1 would just not have the 'Run Pgm2' statement. Program 2 stays the same. When the state variable changes (from 0 to 1) in program 1, program 2 is triggered. Once program 2 executes, its IF condition is checked and since the state variable is now 1, the notification is sent. 

Program 2 also changes the state variable (from 1 to 0). This again will trigger program 2. This time, the condition is not met and the two programs go back to the idle state of your little state machine. Yes, the variable is keeping track of the state of the system you created with the two programs, and I surmise that's why UDI called these kind of variables 'state variables'. Anyway, I get off my soap box now...

Just remain on the soap box for another minute.... Your program works fine, but (there is so much that I don't understand....) contrary to original program the Pushover notification does not  include info on which sensor was activated.

Looks like your email notification uses 

${sys.program.#.status}

or similar which is replaced with the most recent trigger for the program. The state variable will become the most recent trigger, rather than the motion sensor. Using an integer variable has no effect on the replacement value in the notification template.

I tried to help you with understanding ISY variables, but now I'm afraid I might have contributed to more confusion.

Stepping back, the version of the two programs with the integer variable is working for your email-based notification, so you might just want to stick to that.

20 minutes ago, jfailenschmid said:

Looks like your email notification uses 

${sys.program.#.status}

or similar which is replaced with the most recent trigger for the program. The state variable will become the most recent trigger, rather than the motion sensor. Using an integer variable has no effect on the replacement value in the notification template.

I tried to help you with understanding ISY variables, but now I'm afraid I might have contributed to more confusion.

Stepping back, the version of the two programs with the integer variable is working for your email-based notification, so you might just want to stick to that.

You and Mustang65 achieved that , for the first time ever, I have a practical use of Variables and now my mental block of Variables is slightly less ?

7 hours ago, asbril said:

I did not succeed to properly program the Notification  nodeserver but I realized that I may not even need it. Pushover gives each user their own email address and I added this to the ISY notification feature. I made a program whereby an email is sent (which then instantaneously activates the Pushover App on my Iphone and Apple Watch) to let me know when one of my motion sensors goes ON.

Unless I am missing something about what the Notification nodeserver can do, the Pushover email option is sufficient.

Yes, of course you can use email, many of us have been doing that for years, it's the easiest method, but can be delayed due to passing thru multiple servers then converted from an email to the notification by pushover.  Many of us also use ISY network resources which are documented on the Twiki, which is the fastest method but also the most tedious to setup and maintain.

The reason for the notification node server is to utilize the fast response time of direct connections and easily switch parameters like who the message goes to.

Also with the nodeserver you can put the node in your motion sensor scene to get notifications, no program necessary. All of that and more is in the https://github.com/jimboca/udi-poly-notification/blob/master/README.md

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, of course you can use email, many of us have been doing that for years, it's the easiest method, but can be delayed due to passing thru multiple servers then converted from an email to the notification by pushover.  Many of us also use ISY network resources which are documented on the Twiki, which is the fastest method but also the most tedious to setup and maintain.

The reason for the notification node server is to utilize the fast response time of direct connections and easily switch parameters like who the message goes to.

Also with the nodeserver you can put the node in your motion sensor scene to get notifications, no program necessary. All of that and more is in the https://github.com/jimboca/udi-poly-notification/blob/master/README.md

Thanks Jimbo, the Pushover email comes with maximum 5 seconds delay and that is ok with me. However I would like to understand where I went wrong with the nodeserver configuration :

I also just added (or tried to) the Universal Devices  App key in the nodeserver but that appears to have come through not well. Obviously I got confused by which key to enter where.

IMG_3192.jpg.9d10bc2dac49452bd597c32f4b65a797.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg.8da063817b6315491ec86da2603c8438.jpg

udi not.jpg

Thanks Jimbo, the Pushover email comes with maximum 5 seconds delay and that is ok with me. However I would like to understand where I went wrong with the nodeserver configuration :
I also just added (or tried to) the Universal Devices  App key in the nodeserver but that appears to have come through not well. Obviously I got confused by which key to enter where.

Did you restart the admin console?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Archived