Sonoff, Zwave Google Assistant and Elk M1 Gold Integration

TriLife

Greetings from the mountains of Colombia...

We built our home here and I decided to do the home automation/alarm system myself, due to lack of local talent.

It is now time to integrate the whole thing, and before taking the jump, I wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Currently the alarm system is working with most of it's sensors hard wired and the ISY994 handling Z-wave comms.

I have 97 Sonoff switches in the house (and no wired switches!), which are voice controlled via Google Assistant. It works reasonably well. I will add Aeon Z-wave switches, in case Hey Google is down.

I also have a UD Polisy, which is not yet configured...

I do understand that I will have to flash all of my Sonoff switches to Tasmota or something similar (please recommend alternatives, if any).

Now, before Polisy, I knew that I would need an additional RPi as a server for the sonoffs (mqqt?).

My questions:

1- can the Polisy handle the task of the Sonoff server?

2- do I still need the ISY994 to handle Z-wave and Elk M1 Integration, or can Polisy handle this as well?

3- how about Google Assistant integration? Still possible, and if so, can that be pulled off-line as well, in case internet goes down?

Thanks for your help and stay healthy out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michel;

Thanks for that. After your help on the tickets, I now have a ZWave switch turning a ZWave outlet on and off. I also seem to be communicating with my ELK (haven't tried it, but no errors showing up).

My next task will be trying to control a SonOff switch (already with Tasmota Firmware) to talk to Polisy.

I did install the MQTT i found on your Node Store. It mentions something about an MQTT broker, which needs to run on an RPi. While I have a few RPis hanging around, I thought that Polisy was all I needed to get up and running... If you could point me in the right direction to a tutorial, that would be greatly appreciated...

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

10 hours ago, gzahar said:

See first post in main thread:

Thanks Gzahar. I looked at that post as well. The last comment there (before mine) mentions an HTTP request, instead of MQTT. I tried that and it works. My question there is I have almost 100sl Sonoff switches now, and will likely go up to 120 or more for the whole house. It takes an ON and and OFF at least. Can the ISY handle 250 network resources?

That would completely eliminate need for a Polisy or an RPi, although I'm not sure about feedback, as in knowing the state of the switch, which is known with an MQTT broker...

1 hour ago, jr@strele.ws said:

Thanks Gzahar. I looked at that post as well. The last comment there (before mine) mentions an HTTP request, instead of MQTT. I tried that and it works. My question there is I have almost 100sl Sonoff switches now, and will likely go up to 120 or more for the whole house. It takes an ON and and OFF at least. Can the ISY handle 250 network resources?

That would completely eliminate need for a Polisy or an RPi, although I'm not sure about feedback, as in knowing the state of the switch, which is known with an MQTT broker...

I've never used that many network resources so I can't answer what the limit per se. However, due to how it works, I don't see why there would be an issue. Personally, I would choose a better path as I wouldn't want to manage that many networked devices on my network just to turn lights on and off. 

While network resources can work, but having status for devices should be more important as it would allow you to truly automate your home in addition to keeping the system in sync

37 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I've never used that many network resources so I can't answer what the limit per se. However, due to how it works, I don't see why there would be an issue. Personally, I would choose a better path as I wouldn't want to manage that many networked devices on my network just to turn lights on and off. 

While network resources can work, but having status for devices should be more important as it would allow you to truly automate your home in addition to keeping the system in sync

I fully agree with you and am trying to get this whole MQTT setup to work on my new Polisy. The Sonoff thread started by xKing is good, however a bit too complex for my level at this point. And it was written pre-Polisy. I'm still looking for a step-by-step instructions on how to connect my 98 Sonoffs to the MQTT. Is Mosquito still required, or is the MQTT node server on the Node Store the only thing I need. LOST!!!

Cheers

4 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@jr@strele.ws,

We are going to make a script to help you setup MQTT on Polisy. Please stay tuned.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks Michel;

I'm totally stuck. Can't get Polisy to connect usefully to ISY, can't get Sonoff to talk to MQTT. There seem to be a number of things wrong with my setup, trying to call UD, but keep getting VM.

BTW, my Display name changed to @TriLife. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Good morning;

Making progress! I have all but two Sonoff Switches migrated to Tasmota and MQTT node server and have now started the Scenes/programs as well as ELK/Google Home integration. The whole thing still seems a bit shaky, but I'm hoping it is the remaining two ITEAD connected switches, which cause the instability... I'll report back.

In the meantime, I have a beginner programming question:

If I want to trigger a door relay, whenever I push a button/google AND turn on a light, on the same command, BUT ONLY at night, I need two programs, correct? Or can I concatenate if statements, like this?

if (Button) {
   open Gate
   If (nighttime) {turn on light for two minutes}
}

Cheers