6Key KPL Dimming Issue

shergenr

I just installed a 6key KPL with the load controlling a 70W Magnitude dimmable LED driver and about 8 feet of strip lights under my cabinets.  The KPL does a great job of controlling the dimming, but I have noticed 1 issue:  when I press On or Off there is a sudden flash of light.  On the Off side it manifests itself as it ramps down to near the bottom of its dimming range and then it flashes bright and off.  Turning it on, it brightens and at the end it flashes and the is in full bright.  I don't think I have messed with any of the options or settings.  Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, shergenr said:

d) a defective led driver note:  its a 60w driver not 70

It's only a guess but I'd pick D, defective may not be the best word tho.... I'd choose "incompatible" in it's place.  I'd try switching to a different brand. 

Actually searching Amazon is this the product? https://www.amazon.com/12V-Dimmable-LED-Driver-M60L12DC-AR/dp/B00G6FYP9U

If so I think you need a different electronic driver.  "Only for use with magnetic low-voltage dimmers." appears in the product description which i don't believe is compatible with the Insteon dimmers.  @Brian H might be able to be more precise than I'm being.

What is the model number of the dimmer?

As pointed out. If it is the one MrBill linked to. It is for a magnetic low voltage dimmers. The KPL is not that type of dimmer.

That maybe why you are seeing some of the  behavior you are seeing.

Some LED bulbs do not dim or brighten evenly.

Actually searching Amazon is this the product? https://www.amazon.com/12V-Dimmable-LED-Driver-M60L12DC-AR/dp/B00G6FYP9U

yes this is what I bought.  So what kind of driver do I need?

Do I need to look for one that supports triac?

LEDupdates - Triac Dimmable LED Driver, ETL 100v-130v to 12v 84w DC Constant Voltage Junction box Enclosed Power Supply for LED Strip light Compatible with Lutron Leviton AC Wall Dimmer Control

Like the above?

The Magnitude installation, information &  dimmer compatibility sheets for that model is a MLV Magnetic Low Voltage Dimmer.

You would need to find a LED Driver that can be driven by a standard dimmer to use the KPL.

I look at the link you provided and the LEDUPDATES web site.

The LEDUPDATES site.  Indicates most standard wall dimmers can be used. No mention of a special type dimmer. It sounds like it may work.

Archived