Pentair Intelliflo Pump causing Insteon Interference throughout house

pgershon

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to report success in resurrecting my Insteon home automation network from my new Carrier Infinity Variable Speed Heat Pump.  Communications with my devices were almost completely blocked when the heat pump was running.  I tried the Intermatic ET-NF that someone else suggested on this thread, but it didn’t help.  I asked an engineer friend for the best EMI filter for 120-132 kHz, and he recommended the TDK-Lambda RSHN-2020 for my 208-230V-1 phase x 19.5A heat pump.  It was only $36 from Digikey.  It is about 5x2x2” (127x51x51mm), so I had to get a Carlon waterproof 6x6x4" junction box to hold it.  Now my Insteon network is working like a charm with or without the heat pump running!

• 2 months later...

Any updates @pgershon ?

I am having similar issues with the same pool pump (Pentair Intelliflo) as the you/OP. The difference for me is that I am controlling the pool pump with an Insteon switch (ToggleLinc). I had a nice stable system for quite some time (years). However, my pool pump off commands started being periodically, and then entirely, ignored. After a knee-jerk replacement of the ToggleLinc, Tech Support at Smarthome suggested installing a simple dual band device in the junction box with the ToggleLinc to provide both power line and RF signals to the problematic ToggleLinc. I did some preliminary testing using a Insteon Remote Control In-Line ON/Off Switch and this solution seemed to work. After purchasing a larger junction box and rewiring the entire system, I've found reliability is even worse. Now this "booster" switch (I don't need to control any other loads so it is not connected to one) as well as the other Insteon Outlet in the junction box that controls the pool light both go entirely offline when the pool pump is turned on.

Might also be worth mentioning that the ToggleLinc controls a small AC relay that then turn on/off the 220V pool pump. I've heard relays can make noise as well?

I did find someone who achieved some success with a Intermatic ET-NF RC Snubber Noise Filter https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7599&sid=1982e5aa4ff5f6c916677bd9992b1fd5&start=15

Thanks also @epfunke for chiming in with your expertise!

This darn problem is killing me...

The ToggleLinc is a power line only Insteon Module and maybe effected by power line issues.

On but not Off can be the Load making noise or is a Signal Sucker.

So the adding a Dual Band device may help. As the RF command may get through.

Though the module may have some polite features and power line noise may cause the module to think their is a communication message in progress.

Archived