8 key Insteon switch and HA

cyclops

I am running into a challenge.  For a long time I had my ISY setup and working well.  I have a 8 Key Insteon and a Fanlinc that control several fans.  4 of the buttons on the keypad are configured for Off,Low,Med, and high for the fan.  If I hit say the low button, it lights up and the fan off button turns off.  Same goes for the other fan button.  The scenes set the other buttons to off so only 1 button remains lit indicating the fan speed.

I also have Alexa linked and when she turns the fan to any sitting the lights on the keypad match.

Now the Home Assistant problem.  I am running HA 2021.4.3 and have an intergration with my ISY.  HA picked up as a switch.  Example:

entity: switch.office_fan_high

If I click on a button with that entity it does turn the fan on High and the Button on the keypad does light correctly, however the matching buttons for Off,Low and Med on my HA dashboard also indicate as ON in HA.  If I wanted to switch to Med, I must  first turn off fan and then click on the Med for it to work, and again all buttons on my dashboard indicate as ON.

I tried to use a Scene in HA but even the scene all 4 settings for Off, Low, Med and High toggle together.    

Has anyone figured out a way to get the fan operating where HA can both set the fan motor to the correct setting and also set the button on the Insteon keypad as well as any dashboard buttons to match up?

Are you using one scene or 4 for the fan speed?   I suspect one, I just recently learned that you can make make multiple controllers from one scene on the same keypad.  

I think the best solution is probably making 4 ISY scenes, one with a controller node for high, with the other buttons appearing as responders only. Another for medium with one controller node and the rest responders.... rinse and repeat two more times.

You could also make ISY "helper programs" but to directly control a button it would have to be put into a scene just so that you can turn it off.  I've done helper programs for a few thing, but I didn't use the HA implementation, instead I called the HA UDI services directly to either run if, then, or else directly from HA.  It works amazingly well, much better than the "creating custom devices" outlined on the integration doc page.

Archived