Water Sensor and I/o linc

MarcD

Hi, 

I installed a Gredia water flow sensor in a water line that serves an irrigation system.  I'm looking to detect water flow to get alerted if there's an outdoor leak, or if the sprinkler valve doesn't properly close.  I found a fair amount about programming variables, and the pulse frequency is directly related to flow, so I think I can write some useful code once I have the pulses from the water sensor counting (though I may be back here with questions about that!).  My immediate question is how to properly wire the I/o linc.  The flow sensor has three wires:  VCC(+), GND(-) and Signal Output.   I assume the GND connects to GND.  Does Signal Output connect with S?  What connects to VCC(+)?  Thanks.

Marc

VCC(+) to the 5 Volt output terminal of the I/OLinc. So the water flow sensor has to be able to run on +5 volts DC.

GND to the GND terminal of the I/OLinc.

Signal Output to the Sensor Input terminal of the I/OLinc.

The I/OLInc sensor input is designed for a dry closure. That has no voltage on it. It has its own low voltage sensing signal on the S terminal. A 5 volt pulse would probably not do damage to the I/OLinc sensor input. It may still see the 5 volt DC to 0 volt pulses.

You mentioned a pulse rate signal on the flow sensors output. The I/OLInc is not designed to be counting pulses. Depending on the pulses speed and duty cycle. It may loose some of the pulses changes or just sit there and miss everything. There is a time period between the sensor input changing and the Insteon power line commands are completed.

If the pulses are not too fast. It may have time to send the On and Off commands. A test when connected may show any possible issues.

A constant stream of Insteon Signals may cause other communications problems with your set up.

The I/OLinc is an earlier designed power line only module, not Dual Band. May need a Dual Band device close enough in some situations.

I did some looking.

I did not find any exact information on a Gredia water flow sensor.

I found similar model water flow sensors.  Using an Arduno or similar type board. They had a Hall Magnetic Sensor and a rotating magnet. To sense the fluid flow. The Hall Sensor should trigger the Sensor Input of an I/OLinc. The Sensor LED should flash On and Off as the water flows.

Thanks for the info.  I may revise the approach and hook up the flow sensor to a gredia flow meter (zj-lcd-m).  It has an output that is typically used to control a solenoid valve that can be programmed to send a signal when a set flow volume is reached.  Sounds like it would work better to send this output to the I/o linc as it would be a single signal.  Maybe not as slick, but I don't want to risk choking communications....

Archived