Why was PLM chosen over PLC for use with ISY?

mwpeters

As the PLC has a USB interface, one would think it is a more "up to date" product than the RS232 PLM. What is the difference between the two products aside from the data interface? Why are there 2 products that essentially seem to do the same thing? Thanks, MWP.

the plc has some fancy area of memory to hold an 'application' - the goal was to free it from the need for the pc to be on and the pc application running insteon - it also has a pc component (sdm) that was necessary for the pc application to interface to the plc

the plm ripped all that fancy memory out and attempts to do a single task - interface the powerline and a piece of hardware (isy, pc, etc.) - you can't load an application into the plm - it operates more like one of those x10 'transievers' - no sdm necessary

it also maintains a 'database' (list) of resources that it communicates with - as (i guess) the plc does - but you can ignore all the virtual stuff like that with the isy

No, I'm certain the PLC wouldn't work with the ISY-26 - there are too many differences.

There have been reliability issues with the PLC as well, though many were attributed to the SDM rather than the PLC. That's why the PLM was created.

From what Michel at UDI has stated, the lock up issues seem to have been fixed with the latest version of the PLM, currently in beta testing.

Most people running the ISY-26 don't seem to have PLM lockup issues except during initial link spidering or heavy programming sessions. This has certainly been the issue in my case. During day to day use, I haven't experienced any PLM lockups.

So, while it's an annoyance during initial setup and programming, once you get everything discovered and linked it might not be too big of an issue for you. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting the ISY-26 (assuming you don't have one yet).

Once SmartHome releases a fixed PLM, you can swap your PLM out.

I second that. The PLC is just too different to work. In fact my 2414U the USB version gets cranky if I use it on a computer with DirectX9 installed. The 2414S serial in my stup is at least 2 to 4 times faster then the uSB version.

Ok. PLC and PLM

PLC == Modem & Computer & Memory

PLM == Modem

PLM + ISY == Modem & Computer & Memory

The PLM by design is a much better product for anything that is trying to talk to the Insteon network, because it has no extra layers of code or computing in the way. It is a real pass-through device. Smarthome should have released the PLM on the first day Insteon came out because so many companies could have started years ago creating their products thru it. The problem with the PLM right now is, it's doing its share of growing pains (Smarthome likes to use us as their beta testers) and hopefully will come out the other side a strong big kid.

The PLC was built on a CPU that was underpowered for what they tried to do with it. The extra software layer was too bulky for the device. The PLC by design should not be used as a pass-through but, because it was released first companies had no choice at the time. It should only be used as a controller. The PLC is pass-through junk (and not a very good controller either) and should phase out of pass-through duties!

The IO port does not really tell someone much about its advance technology. USB is a connection that requires its own "modem" chip to translate its signal. And USB is more expensive to implement in products. Serial requires some TTL logic and is a bit more direct connected to the PLM modem function. And Serial is less expensive to implement. Since the PLM first design is not really connecting to a home PC it for now does not have a USB port, but at some point I am sure it will because USB is the "in style" connection for home PCs.

The PLC and PLM are two different beasts; the PLC is a computer controller, the PLM is a pass-through device.

Hello Mark,

Thank-you very much for the comprehensive overview and differentiation between the 2 products.

Just for my understanding, I presume you are talking about the PLC in the 2nd paragraph rather than the PLM in the latter sentences?

The PLC was built on a CPU that was underpowered for what they tried to do with it. The extra software layer was too bulky for the device. The PLM by design should not be used as a pass-through but, because it was released first companies had no choice at the time. It should only be used as a controller. The PLM is pass-through junk (and not a very good controller either) and should phase out of pass-through duties!

Looking forward to the beta PLM. Which version of firmware will be on it?

Thanks,

Michael

Archived