Pie in the sky: User-serviceable firmware

brad77

I've read more than my share of posts related to INSTEON problems that relate to the firmware in a particular SH unit (SwitchLinc, IOLinc, IRLinc, PLM, etc.) Many of them seem to indicate problems with older firmware versions, or suggest replacing the device as a troubleshooting measure.

I understand Smarthome's desire to constantly improve their products, but the idea of having to purchase new units just to get the latest version of a firmware is hard to stomach. I'm not an installer. I'm just a guy with a couple dozen units in my home (with more to come). These units aren't cheap as it is, and to discover that a recently purchased switch or other device doesn't work as it should because it is out of date (sometimes by only six months or so) is frustrating, to put it mildly.

It would be simply fantastic if SH were to offer a firmware upgrade path for their devices. The possibility of upgrading a device's firmware would greatly reduce any anxiety attached to buying a number of switches. I'm sure that these devices are often going though hardware revs as well, so I understand that this wouldn't be feasible (or expected) in all cases.

Anyway. I'm sure this is probably too much to ask, but I thought that it wouldn't hurt to bring it up here in the Smarthome channel. Thanks for reading.

We have been asking for field updates on firmware since the beginning of the Insteon release.

Smarthome refuses to do anything about it.

Some even suggested a send in the old unit and have a set update fee that was less costly than a new one or have an authorized service company do it.

Part of this could be their concern with safety. Almost all the modules use a power line derived power supply. I can assure you the logic supply on some are tied to the HOT Power Line Pin. Insteon is not alone with this setup as X10 also has Line Hot for reference in many of their modules.

The Insteon modules I have seen have the programming connector on them. Safety or protecting the code maybe the hitch.

I new that I couldn't be the first one to complain about this.

I'm sure that you're right about the safety issue, but unless there's some other recourse it strikes me as a decision that's primarily financially motivated. I don't mean to cast aspersions, but that's how it appears.

In my opinion, it would be a boon to the world of INSTEON if that were a viable option.

There was a fair amount of discussion on the subject. In the now defunct Accessha forums and it has died down in the Smarthome and Cocoontech forums.

I believe it was also mentioned in the Developers Forums awhile back also.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a few comments on the subject. I would like switches that were able to be upgraded over the powerline, but would you be willing to pay 100 dollars for it and the switch would have to be 1/3 deeper? If any one has purchased a switch that does not work and is within the 2 year warrantee period you should be able to get a replacement. If you have and older switch with a bad tact switch that product has a 7 year warrantee. If you have I1 switches and want I2 because there are some extra capabilities with them, than that is something else. Smartlabs is always trying to make the products better and I agree that if you have a switch that does not work because of an issue with firmware than you should be helped to get a working solution. If you find out that the switches that are shipping now have dimmable leds and the version you have doesn’t support that, well you see my point. Smartlabs has offered many upgrade programs when new devices come out at great expense to the company. So in closing, if you have product that is not working and you do not feel that you are getting and support from Smarthome customer service than I would like to help.

Steve L

Smartlabs

info@insteon.net

Thanks for your comments, Steve. They are much appreciated.

You indicate that to support upgrades over the powerline, the device would need to be more expensive and larger. That makes sense.

But is that our only option? Would it be possible to offer a device that would function to upgrade a device's firmware? By making it available separately, you can offer it as an option for installers (or hard-core hobbyists) and avoid passing the cost burden on to every customer.

Also, must such an upgrade be done over the powerline? For safety's sake, could it be a requirement that the switch be removed from the wall for such service?

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about how one would upgrade a switch or how you actually load firmware at SH, but I can imagine that it's a regular occurrence (where it is appropriate to re-flash a device), so it's conceivable that such a device already exists. I also grant the possibility that it could be prohibitively expensive or complicated to use.

I applaud your efforts to make the customer whole when it comes to warrantying out parts and devices and even taking it on the chin from time to time because a customer insists that he/she wants blinking LED's on their switches. I think that's stand-up customer service, and I have no doubt that it can come at significant expense to SH.

Is it then conceivable that you could potentially offset some of that expense by offering a facility for the customer to service their own devices? Agreed, not everyone needs it, but those who do are most likely to sing the praises of INSTEON to other potential customers.

Thanks for your consideration, and I appreciate your comments.

Archived