Relay w/ Sense will not trigger program or Bug

sanders2222

Could my new 2476S Switchlinc relay from SH be bad? I created a simple program to turn on the hall light when the utility room light is turned on.

Program content for 'Utility On'
If
  Control 'Util Room' is switched On
Then
  Set 'Util Hall' 55%
Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action') 

I don't see a problem with the program code above. But the program won't run when I turn on the utility room light.

I think the problem is the control signal from the relay doesn't work or the signal is not recognized by the ISY. I can control utility light from my Admin Console, and the switch turns the light on/off.

The help at SH suggested I write this forum to see if others have this problem. I did not find a thread in my search that anyone has. My ISY is v.2.7.0.

The help at SH suggested I write this forum to see if others have this problem. I did not find a thread in my search that anyone has.

My ISY is v.2.7.0. Is there a bug that it doesn't recognize the relay's signal?

Hello sanders,

You should be able to see the signal (DON) from the switch in the Event Viewer (Tools | Diagnostics) when you press the switch on and off. If the switch isn't sending the command it may have a bad link to the PLM. A Restore device will rewrite the link database.

Rand

With direct support from U-D staff (and I really appreciated it), I found out more about Insteon and the ISY in 15 minutes than 3 months of my tinkering and limited reading could accomplish. But that's another story.

Turns out my relay switch was recognized by my system, but only one-way communication was set up in the PLM. Plus I was having other problems that had to be worked through. With control of my PC, U-D staff could look through my set-up and identify the issues I had. They also had me reset the relay switch (pull out the reset button for 11 secs, then pushing it all the way in until LEDs blinked). They removed the 'old' device on my console and then re-linked it (after the reset). That FIXED it!

Thank you U-D support staff. Your help resolved a number of one-way communication problems I've been living with for months!

In the process, they taught me ‘how to’ use the diagnostics tools in tracking down issues.

The Event Viewer should show all Insteon activity. My system was not showing anything that was not generated from a motion detector, ISY or Console.

They explained how to check PLM links for a list of all links stored in the PLM. An ’A2’ following the line number indicates signals from device are received by the PLM and an ‘E2’ when devices are receiving signals from the PLM.

My motion detectors were showing an 'A2' but all my other device links were only showing an ‘E2’. Consequently, my PLM only could hear the motion detectors, nothing else.

Also, the EV did not show any traffic (except motion). Any toggle from my switches to trigger a program or update the console were never ‘heard’. I did not know this! U-D did a Restore Modem (PLM) operation that helped correct most of my PLM links. I started with 22 PLM links (count) and that went to 77 links on the list after the restore.

But the Relay switch still was not working, and the PLM Links only showed an ‘E2’ code. Resetting the device and re-linking solved the problem.

Sorry this response is so long, but I've consolidated 45-60 minutes of phone support into a few lines. Hopefully, this information can help some one else with similar issues.

Archived