iBlinds - Anyone using it?

Teken

Several people have been asking me about this product and wanted to know if anyone here has used the same?!? I have no first hand knowledge about the product besides YouTube videos and some forum posts on other sites.

I’m more interested to learn the following as it pertains to the hardware:

- ISY Integration: Does it currently integrate with this controller

- Syncing: Does the product sync to other groups of blinds to open / close and unknown limitations?

- Install: Love to know any limitations or problems seen during the physical install to using their smart app

- Power: What type of power are you using 120 VAC / Solar / Battery?

https://amzn.to/3kf0XVv

Several people have been asking me about this product and wanted to know if anyone here has used the same?!? I have no first hand knowledge about the product besides YouTube videos and some forum posts on other sites.

I’m more interested to learn the following as it pertains to the hardware:

- ISY Integration: Does it currently integrate with this controller

- Syncing: Does the product sync to other groups of blinds to open / close and unknown limitations?

- Install: Love to know any limitations or problems seen during the physical install to using their smart app

- Power: What type of power are you using 120 VAC / Solar / Battery?

https://amzn.to/3kf0XVv
I've had two installed for over a year. They do integrate with the ISY. Open and close functions work well. Having the blinds open less or more than 50% is a bit cumbersome. I have them both on solar and it keeps the battery charged. I have them on two Alexa routines that open them on one routine and closes them on another. Mine will lose z-wave connectivity every now and then. Pressing the calibration button always reconnects them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I've had two installed for over a year. They do integrate with the ISY. Open and close functions work well. Having the blinds open less or more than 50% is a bit cumbersome. I have them both on solar and it keeps the battery charged. I have them on two Alexa routines that open them on one routine and closes them on another. Mine will lose z-wave connectivity every now and then. Pressing the calibration button always reconnects them.

When you ask the system to open a group of blinds to open / close how is the performance (in sync) ?
2 hours ago, Teken said:

When you ask the system to open a group of blinds to open / close how is the performance (in sync) ?

I have the two iBlinds in the same Alexa routines. Which may not be what you are asking in terms of a group. They are just like the other Z-wave devices in those routines. They respond one at a time.

I have the two iBlinds in the same Alexa routines. Which may not be what you are asking in terms of a group. They are just like the other Z-wave devices in those routines. They respond one at a time.

Let me clarify my question if I can. Imagine a wall with four windows. I press a single button will all blinds open / close at the same time in unison? Or will they open / close in a staggered fashion one at a time not in sync?

Some call how the Z-Wave lighting turns on / off as popcorn effect.

Let me clarify my question if I can. Imagine a wall with four windows. I press a single button will all blinds open / close at the same time in unison? Or will they open / close in a staggered fashion one at a time not in sync?

Some call how the Z-Wave lighting turns on / off as popcorn effect.
@Teken I've not tried what you're asking. However, a Z-wave device is a Z-wave device and I think you would see the same popcorn effect.

I will also say that the iBlinds I have installed are the first generation. I have some second generation that I haven't installed. The 2nd generation do have some added features. But, I don't recall any of those features that would eliminate the popcorn effect.

My iBlinds are in different rooms so the popcorn effect is not an issue.

@Teken I've not tried what you're asking. However, a Z-wave device is a Z-wave device and I think you would see the same popcorn effect.

I will also say that the iBlinds I have installed are the first generation. I have some second generation that I haven't installed. The 2nd generation do have some added features. But, I don't recall any of those features that would eliminate the popcorn effect.

My iBlinds are in different rooms so the popcorn effect is not an issue.

Let me know if you are able to check to validate if that is the case. I would think if a person stood there and pressed a single button to a group of shades. Both would receive the command and move at the same time.

Surprisingly that isn’t the case even in 2021.

Given those asking may not find that to be a end all be all problem. I can’t say this is something I’d have in place where a row of blinds were tasked to go up / down / open / close.

Appreciate the quick feedback!

Let me know if you are able to check to validate if that is the case. I would think if a person stood there and pressed a single button to a group of shades. Both would receive the command and move at the same time.

Surprisingly that isn’t the case even in 2021.

Given those asking may not find that to be a end all be all problem. I can’t say this is something I’d have in place where a row of blinds were tasked to go up / down / open / close.

Appreciate the quick feedback!
@Teken I will try it this coming week. I'm at my Granddaughter's basketball tournament this weekend. Otherwise I'd try it right now.

I have five iBlinds, four in one room and one in another. To get around the popcorn effect, I open and close in what I call a cascade effect. I have found if you wait six seconds between commands the next blind starts it action about the time the previous one finishes.

All of mine are battery operated and I charge about every 3-4 months. FYI, if you let the battery get too low it will fall off the Z-Wave network and must be included again.

Using the Sun nodeserver I'm able to open/close based on sun angle and elevation w/o any seasonal adjustments.

Mine are the original version w/o any manual control. If I ever sell my house I guess I'll leave the ISY behind, otherwise there would be no way to operate the blinds. Hopefully by then everything will be running on Polisy and I would take it with me.

I have five iBlinds, four in one room and one in another. To get around the popcorn effect, I open and close in what I call a cascade effect. I have found if you wait six seconds between commands the next blind starts it action about the time the previous one finishes.
All of mine are battery operated and I charge about every 3-4 months. FYI, if you let the battery get too low it will fall off the Z-Wave network and must be included again.
Using the Sun nodeserver I'm able to open/close based on sun angle and elevation w/o any seasonal adjustments.
Mine are the original version w/o any manual control. If I ever sell my house I guess I'll leave the ISY behind, otherwise there would be no way to operate the blinds. Hopefully by then everything will be running on Polisy and I would take it with me.

Appreciate you chiming in and adding your voice as to operational behaviour. One would think firing a on / open command would cause the blinds to just open in sync / unison with one another.

It’s not lost on me as to why this problem exists but is really hard to explain the same to a customer. It’s akin to standing there with two remotes and a person presses both at the same time.

Guess what both of them will open / close at the same time. Yet, when a command via a controller sends the exact same command the signal is staggered and operates the blinds seconds apart?!?

The only thing I’ve considered is to add a wait time but this also doesn’t guarantee a unified moving state. I believe if the hardware could be adjusted to act (move) with a delay that would probably solve the lack of syncing.

Can’t say I’ve seen any blinds offer a manual delay in incremental 0.2 - 0.5 seconds!

Archived