Nodeserver Migration to ISY on Polisy

mbking

18 minutes ago, Adam Getchell said:

@MrBill I have just begun moving to Polisy after my now irreplaceable PLM went out on me.  While making the move I am now reconsidering my usage of MobiLinc.   I have been a loyal user for years.  What is  “home automation dashboard” you are referencing? Your not talking about the ISY dashboard, correct?   

Home Assistant is actually another controller (open source project) that runs on several hardware platforms, its one of the largest and most active open source projects on github.  In my case I use a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB.  It can also be run on other hardware and even in containers (If you go this route just keep in mind you want a hardware platform that allow 'Supervisor", but that's jumping way to far ahead.)

Home Assistant has 1858 built in integrations, one of which happens to be the Universal Devices ISY994.  In the beginning you'll find this make Home Assistant (HA) an excellent Front End user interface for your ISY.  The deeper you dig into it tho, it will become so much more.   It way more than just a replacement for mobilinc, Agave or eKeypad.  You'll find things you didn't know you wanted to integrate are now integratable.    But on the topic of replacing the apps listed above, the dashboards I've created are the first where things are places on the screen in a logical order for our house.  It's the first "remote" that is wife approved.

There is also a dedicated sub-forum here on our forum. 

Edit to add: the Universal Devices integration hasn't yet been tested on ISY on Polisy, but I imagine that the code owners will provide tweaks if needed, it should likely work without because the ISY API seems to be the same for both hardware platforms.

26 minutes ago, Adam Ant said:

@MrBill I have just begun moving to Polisy after my now irreplaceable PLM went out on me.  While making the move I am now reconsidering my usage of MobiLinc.   I have been a loyal user for years.  What is  “home automation dashboard” you are referencing? Your not talking about the ISY dashboard, correct?   

I believe that he refers to Home Assistant. It is a very nice solution but it requires to set it up on a RPi. another very good (and easier) solution is UD Mobile.

2 minutes ago, asbril said:

I believe that he refers to Home Automation. It is a very nice solution but it requires to set it up on a RPi. another very good (and easier) solution is UD Mobile.

Reading the post of mine that he quoted when asking the question, he's asking about Home Assistant because that's what I was talking about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 9:04 AM, MrBill said:

Home Assistant is actually another controller (open source project) that runs on several hardware platforms, its one of the largest and most active open source projects on github.  In my case I use a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB.  It can also be run on other hardware and even in containers (If you go this route just keep in mind you want a hardware platform that allow 'Supervisor", but that's jumping way to far ahead.)

Home Assistant has 1858 built in integrations, one of which happens to be the Universal Devices ISY994.  In the beginning you'll find this make Home Assistant (HA) an excellent Front End user interface for your ISY.  The deeper you dig into it tho, it will become so much more.   It way more than just a replacement for mobilinc, Agave or eKeypad.  You'll find things you didn't know you wanted to integrate are now integratable.    But on the topic of replacing the apps listed above, the dashboards I've created are the first where things are places on the screen in a logical order for our house.  It's the first "remote" that is wife approved.

There is also a dedicated sub-forum here on our forum. 

Edit to add: the Universal Devices integration hasn't yet been tested on ISY on Polisy, but I imagine that the code owners will provide tweaks if needed, it should likely work without because the ISY API seems to be the same for both hardware platforms.

Happy Thanksgiving, @MrBill!   Thanks for the tip of HA!    Very impressive!   Amazing how easy it is to integrate and build dashboards!  Wondering how much you rely on isy/Polisy for your automation vs. the automation built into HA?  THANKS AGAIN!

15 hours ago, Adam Ant said:

Happy Thanksgiving, @MrBill!   Thanks for the tip of HA!    Very impressive!   Amazing how easy it is to integrate and build dashboards!  Wondering how much you rely on isy/Polisy for your automation vs. the automation built into HA?  THANKS AGAIN!

All of my automation were built in the ISY long before HA came to my house.  Generally my rule is that if the device is connected to the ISY I do whatever automation programming i want in the ISY.  Likewise I now have some shades that are zigbee and connected to HA.  The automation for those are built in HA, they close at Sunset +30, open between 5am and 9am when both iPhones have been disconnected from charging.  Although I also built a method for the ISY to control it... as there is an Insteon button that is a manual override.

In reality I find ISY programming to be more organized... well at least the old fashioned way... FOLDERS... HA lacks folders but does have filters and search for quickly finding automatons.   There's also Node Red available on the HA side (install the add-on) but I haven't needed it yet so I've yet to experience the learning curve.

Speaking of HA add-on's, it sounds like you have HA up and running...  be sure to install and configure Google Drive Backup to do a full backup every night.

3 hours ago, MrBill said:

All of my automation were built in the ISY long before HA came to my house.  Generally my rule is that if the device is connected to the ISY I do whatever automation programming i want in the ISY.  Likewise I now have some shades that are zigbee and connected to HA.  The automation for those are built in HA, they close at Sunset +30, open between 5am and 9am when both iPhones have been disconnected from charging.  Although I also built a method for the ISY to control it... as there is an Insteon button that is a manual override.

In reality I find ISY programming to be more organized... well at least the old fashioned way... FOLDERS... HA lacks folders but does have filters and search for quickly finding automatons.   There's also Node Red available on the HA side (install the add-on) but I haven't needed it yet so I've yet to experience the learning curve.

Speaking of HA add-on's, it sounds like you have HA up and running...  be sure to install and configure Google Drive Backup to do a full backup every night.

Makes sense!   Thanks for all you do in the forums!

Archived