Power Reset on Printer using iLinc Pro

travcore

I finally got ilincPro to work on my iphone both insode and outside of my house but a peculiar event keeps happening.

While in ilincPro, as soon as I send a command to turn on or off a light, the printer in my home starts flashing and the readout on my printer says that I need to reset the power on the printer. The printer is set up as a network printer and is currently connected to my router as is the isy99.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Router type: Dlink DIR-655

Printer: hp6300

I believe I have the latest software version of the isy99 as I just recently purchased it.

Thanks

Hi travcore,

This is an odd problem. What happens when you try to command a device on or off from inside of the JAVA interface connected to ISY?

I wonder if you need to install a FilterLinc between your printer and the outlet to filter out all Insteon commands issued by the ISY.

Wes

Hi guys,

Sorry it took so long to respond. I just happened to look in my spam folder and found that you had responded to my question. I need to fix that.

If I operate the lights within Java, there is no problem. As soon as I press the iLincPro app button on my iphone, the lights start flashing on the printer and I have to reset the printer power. I noticed that if I am not on my home network and on cellular network, it doesn't seem to affect the printer. I need to confirm that though.

I can try a filterlinc and let you know.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Paul

Hi travcore,

Just to clarify, the printer starts to act up right when you start iLinc (you haven't executed any commands to your ISY through iLinc or commanded a device to turn on or off) on your Wi-Fi network?

When iLinc starts it sends out a UPnP packet on port 1900 to see what ISY devices are on the network. I wouldn't think that a UPnP broadcast on 1900 would cause that kind of behavior on the printer. But to check, try unplugging your printer from the network and try the scenario to see what kind of behavior you get.

Wes

Hi Wes,

Yes, I get the power interruption as soon as start iLinc. I have not executed any commands from iLinc.

I unplugged the network cable from my printer, pressed the iLinc app icon and there were no problems. I plugged the network cable back in, pressed the iLinc app icon and the power interruption happened again.

This would suggest that introducing a filterlinc would have no effect since it does not appear to be powerline related.

Any suggestions?

BTW, the ISY firmware version I am running is 2.7.0.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't know for certain, but it would seem that the printer is having a problem with the UPnP broadcast to discover ISY devices on the network. Aside from the UPnP broadcast, iLinc talks directly to the ISY unit.

You are correct, adding a filterLinc wouldn't do you any good. I did a quick google search on this type of problem and while I couldn't find anything specific to a UPnP problem, HP reported to try removing power to the printer, plugging the printer back in to the wall power outlet and turn the printer back on.

Is there a printer firmware update that you might be able to install?

Wes

Hi Paul,

Just did a quick search on HP's website. It looks like they have some network diagnostic software for their 6300 line of printers. I wonder if you play around with this software you can identify or correct the problem:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-74066-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1120043&os=4063&lang=en

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I have the exact same issue with a Xerox Phaser 8550DN, which has an embedded NIC.

I have been chatting with Wes over on iLinc's forum about it.

Definately the UDP Port 1900 causing some issues with some network printers.

I am investigating it with Xerox, and will post back any results.

You are not alone! ;)

jamesm

Archived