Hue still supported?

roberthleeii

Does this still have some sort of support?   I am considering getting the polisy and one of the big reasons is the hue nodeserver but I am worried that this is not going to work well. I would like to be able to control the bulbs + scenes and groups. From reading through the threads I am unsure if it has been updates since  a major rewrite of the hue software a while back

9 hours ago, roberthleeii said:

Does this still have some sort of support?   I am considering getting the polisy and one of the big reasons is the hue nodeserver but I am worried that this is not going to work well. I would like to be able to control the bulbs + scenes and groups. From reading through the threads I am unsure if it has been updates since  a major rewrite of the hue software a while back

I have a standalone ISY running the latest 5.3.0 and a Polisy with the PG2 version of Hue and Philips Hue version 4.11.0 (9557) software 1.49. I've played around with the PG2 Hue Node in ISY but ended up controlling Hue Scenes and Groups (Rooms) with ISY Resources instead of using the Hue node. For just the few Hue bulbs that I have it was more convenient setting up bulb colors in scenes and groups with the Hue App and then have ISY turn them on and off according to schedules. Actually, I'm using the iConnectHue app instead of Philips Hue but that's just a personal preference.

In the future when I run the Polisy ISY version I'm assuming there will still be ISY Resources to control my Hue without needing a nodeserver. If a PG3 Hue nodeserver becomes as powerful as an iPhone app I might switch to it but right now there's no need for it.

4 hours ago, vbphil said:

I have a standalone ISY running the latest 5.3.0 and a Polisy with the PG2 version of Hue and Philips Hue version 4.11.0 (9557) software 1.49. I've played around with the PG2 Hue Node in ISY but ended up controlling Hue Scenes and Groups (Rooms) with ISY Resources instead of using the Hue node. For just the few Hue bulbs that I have it was more convenient setting up bulb colors in scenes and groups with the Hue App and then have ISY turn them on and off according to schedules. Actually, I'm using the iConnectHue app instead of Philips Hue but that's just a personal preference.

In the future when I run the Polisy ISY version I'm assuming there will still be ISY Resources to control my Hue without needing a nodeserver. If a PG3 Hue nodeserver becomes as powerful as an iPhone app I might switch to it but right now there's no need for it.

Polisy supports network resources. I'm running my hue on it now using them

This is the post that had me worried by @MrBill

12 hours ago, Brian H said:

Tried looking at you message link.

It gives a page not found error.

10 hours ago, vbphil said:

5 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Polisy supports network resources. I'm running my hue on it now using them

12 hours ago, roberthleeii said:

This is the post that had me worried

Nothing to worry about the base api didn't change, they did add to it tho.  The hue app now officially sucks, but I don't actually use it too often.

22 hours ago, vbphil said:

latest 5.3.0

5.3.4 is the latest.  They call 5.3.0 "official" because of z-wave certification requirements.  Sure wish UDI hadn't named the builds that followed as "test builds" because it's misleading, Note the word "beta" isn't included.   "Interim release" would have been a better choice of words.   Load 5.3.4 without fear, its been out over 6 months and no one is complaining...

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

Nothing to worry about the base api didn't change, they did add to it tho.  The hue app now officially sucks, but I don't actually use it too often.

5.3.4 is the latest.  They call 5.3.0 "official" because of z-wave certification requirements.  Sure wish UDI hadn't named the builds that followed as "test builds" because it's misleading, Note the word "beta" isn't included.   "Interim release" would have been a better choice of words.   Load 5.3.4 without fear, its been out over 6 months and no one is complaining...

@MrBillThanks that makes me feel more comfortable.  I did not want to make an investment in the polisy and hue ecosystem lose the support for them. The zwave bulbs I have may not be the best (and are being discontinued) but because the are z-wave they will work with the ISY/POLISY until one of them physically breaks and I don't have to worry about an update permanently breaking support for the lights in my house. 

The 2way communication with the hue lights from the node server would make make programming a lot easier.  I don't want to anyone in my house to have to use an app.from what I have seen (still a newbie) when programming z-wave scene controllers it is easy to get the status of my devices (mostly bulbs) to determine what the scene press (double,triple, etc) should accomplish.  

I totally get how using the hue app to set up a scene would be helpful and then just calling it with the ISY

5 hours ago, roberthleeii said:

@MrBillThanks that makes me feel more comfortable.  I did not want to make an investment in the polisy and hue ecosystem lose the support for them. The zwave bulbs I have may not be the best (and are being discontinued) but because the are z-wave they will work with the ISY/POLISY until one of them physically breaks and I don't have to worry about an update permanently breaking support for the lights in my house. 

The 2way communication with the hue lights from the node server would make make programming a lot easier.  I don't want to anyone in my house to have to use an app.from what I have seen (still a newbie) when programming z-wave scene controllers it is easy to get the status of my devices (mostly bulbs) to determine what the scene press (double,triple, etc) should accomplish.  

I totally get how using the hue app to set up a scene would be helpful and then just calling it with the ISY

I messed around with the nodeserver but found things are much easier for my needs using NRs. That could also be due to the fact that I've used them so long, the time to set them up is miniscule. The main benefit is ease of updating. With NRs, my wife can change things without any extra work for me. With the nodeserver, you're forced to log into your system to push updates and change your programming

3 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I messed around with the nodeserver but found things are much easier for my needs using NRs. That could also be due to the fact that I've used them so long, the time to set them up is miniscule. The main benefit is ease of updating. With NRs, my wife can change things without any extra work for me. With the nodeserver, you're forced to log into your system to push updates and change your programming

7 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

@lilyoyo1 is the lack of 2 way communication ever a problem? It seems just the ability to have 2 way communication would be a big improvement for nodeserver over NRs... Is there anything else the NS can do that the NRs can't?

I guess being able to turn groups on and off and call scenes i create in the app is enough to satisfy me. 

Also is there a list of NRs that people use in ISY? 

10 hours ago, MrBill said:

@MrBill so.. you aren't worried about hue making changes that are going to break the node server?

16 minutes ago, roberthleeii said:

@lilyoyo1 is the lack of 2 way communication ever a problem? It seems just the ability to have 2 way communication would be a big improvement for nodeserver over NRs... Is there anything else the NS can do that the NRs can't?

I guess being able to turn groups on and off and call scenes i create in the app is enough to satisfy me. 

Also is there a list of NRs that people use in ISY? 

There's nothing specific for the NRs that can be done that the Nodeserver cant do. It comes down to what bst works for your particular situation.

Its never been a problem. We dont use the app at all except for changing something. Even in the 1 off chance that we were to turn the bulbs/scenes on with the app, 99.9% of the time, everything turns off automatically or via voice. Both scenarios will still turn the bulbs off for us.

Look at it this way, outside of your zwave bulbs, do you talk to your current light bulbs or do you talk to your switch? Whats the difference?

I've never seen a list. Just usually people asking for specific things and someone answering their question.

20 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

There's nothing specific for the NRs that can be done that the Nodeserver cant do. It comes down to what bst works for your particular situation.

Its never been a problem. We dont use the app at all except for changing something. Even in the 1 off chance that we were to turn the bulbs/scenes on with the app, 99.9% of the time, everything turns off automatically or via voice. Both scenarios will still turn the bulbs off for us.

Look at it this way, outside of your zwave bulbs, do you talk to your current light bulbs or do you talk to your switch? Whats the difference?

I've never seen a list. Just usually people asking for specific things and someone answering their question.

See...  i actually want to talk to my lights. the people who built my house were not fans of multiple switches. Each room basically has one switch that controls all fixtures in the room. It is not a huge issue in the rooms that have only one fan with lights but in other rooms it is just dumb. Take our kitchen as an example. It has a set of can lights, fan with lights, over sink light fixture, and under counter lights (all with no attic access to wiring) . Before my ISY(and insteon/z-wave devices) you could not even turn the fan on with out having all the lights on. I actually still don't have a smart switch on it. all the lights are controlled with a remote and a insteon keypad i wired up in the wall that is not connected to anything. All the rooms that are not bedrooms have this multiple fixute issue  ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, roberthleeii said:

See...  i actually want to talk to my lights. the people who built my house were not fans of multiple switches. Each room basically has one switch that controls all fixtures in the room. It is not a huge issue in the rooms that have only one fan with lights but in other rooms it is just dumb. Take our kitchen as an example. It has a set of can lights, fan with lights, over sink light fixture, and under counter lights (all with no attic access to wiring) . Before my ISY(and insteon/z-wave devices) you could not even turn the fan on with out having all the lights on. I actually still don't have a smart switch on it. all the lights are controlled with a remote and a insteon keypad i wired up in the wall that is not connected to anything. All the rooms that are not bedrooms have this multiple fixute issue  ?‍♂️

The best method for you depends on your setup. In the 8+ years of using hue with the ISY, ive never had a reason or need to use the app to control something. Since my wife started using this stuff in my home while dating, she grew with the system as well where she doesnt have a need either except for adjustments. Even if she did use the app to turn something on, everything would still turn on/off properly due to other devices that would kick in.

All of our bulbs are still connected  to a switch or kpl for manual control in some manner. In certain cases (such as accent lights), their status is determined by whats going on in the house. When using Alexa or google (depending on room), the device is controlled along with the bulb so everything stays in sync. No guest (family or not) has access to the app to be able to control anything. Its either through voice, switch/kpl, or automatic (system, sensor or AV state). None of which the status of the bulbs matter. If you take the time to program based on your lifestyle, you'd be surprised how little you need different things.

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

The best method for you depends on your setup. In the 8+ years of using hue with the ISY, ive never had a reason or need to use the app to control something. Since my wife started using this stuff in my home while dating, she grew with the system as well where she doesnt have a need either except for adjustments. Even if she did use the app to turn something on, everything would still turn on/off properly due to other devices that would kick in.

All of our bulbs are still connected  to a switch or kpl for manual control in some manner. In certain cases (such as accent lights), their status is determined by whats going on in the house. When using Alexa or google (depending on room), the device is controlled along with the bulb so everything stays in sync. No guest (family or not) has access to the app to be able to control anything. Its either through voice, switch/kpl, or automatic (system, sensor or AV state). None of which the status of the bulbs matter. If you take the time to program based on your lifestyle, you'd be surprised how little you need different things.

Thank you. I am trying to find out what is the best for my house.  Several of your posts have helped me out quite a bit. 

4 hours ago, roberthleeii said:

@MrBill so.. you aren't worried about hue making changes that are going to break the node server?

APIv2 is definitely a breaking change that will require a rewrite of any node server but it is in early beta and likely many months away. Hue has also said they will continue to support both APIs for awhile (maybe another year after APIv2 is officially released?) so not a today problem. 

18 hours ago, upstatemike said:

APIv2 is definitely a breaking change that will require a rewrite of any node server but it is in early beta and likely many months away. Hue has also said they will continue to support both APIs for awhile (maybe another year after APIv2 is officially released?) so not a today problem. 

interesting....  @upstatemike do you think it will change how Network Resources on ISY interacts with Hue? 

I just ordered a Hue bridge and some lights that i am planning on controlling with NRs. 

4 hours ago, roberthleeii said:

interesting....  @upstatemike do you think it will change how Network Resources on ISY interacts with Hue? 

I just ordered a Hue bridge and some lights that i am planning on controlling with NRs. 

I don't know but the existing API will be supported for quite awhile so there will be time to accommodate any required adjustments. 

Archived