Hub as a PLM?

matapan

Just a thought…..

Since part of a hub’s function is to act as a bridge between a LAN and the Insteon network, what are the chances a hub could be repurposed as a PLM? Perhaps by modifying the hub’s firmware?

I’m just looking at this from a broad functional perspective. Since most of those inconvenienced already own a hub that presumably works, what are the chances of  connecting an ISY or a Polisy to a hub?

3 hours ago, matapan said:

Just a thought…..

Since part of a hub’s function is to act as a bridge between a LAN and the Insteon network, what are the chances a hub could be repurposed as a PLM? Perhaps by modifying the hub’s firmware?

I’m just looking at this from a broad functional perspective. Since most of those inconvenienced already own a hub that presumably works, what are the chances of  connecting an ISY or a Polisy to a hub?

Their are several ways to use the hub as a PLM. Most methods are just to use the local "api" for access for other software to use it. Their are "ports" on the board for direct communication with both RF and PLM. It is my understanding (I have personally verified) that the hub does run linux and that insteon is running as a single process on the hub. If it is running Linux there are several options from that angle as well. I have several hubs kicking around and will be exploring all the possibilities. I have used openhab in the past. It does the job of controlling, not a whole lot of power there, but it does work with hub as a plm.

With Smarthome done and given the current situation with respect to PLMs, would someone with the appropriate skill set be interested in sharing how one can repurpose a hub for use with an ISY or Polisy. I imagine some sort of IP to serial converter would be required to connect with the ISY currently. Or perhaps the ISY could be modified for use with a hub directly to handle Insteon network communications. There is another post elsewhere on this forum which mentions how Homeseer already uses the hub as a PLM.

The 2242-222 HUB has a universal power input. It was sold in other parts of the world with just a different suffix on the main part number. So you got the proper power connection and local Insteon RF frequency.

Though mine is not labeled with universal power input. My 2245-222 HUB. Is 125VAC 50/60 Cycles. I have seen reports it does have a universal power supply but can't confirm it. 

Using a USA HUB  may have have the wrong Insteon RF frequency programmed into it. Depending on the used frequency in Israel. I don't believe there was a newer HUB for other parts of the world.

On 4/22/2022 at 12:03 AM, matapan said:

The 2242 hubs had this has a built-in function, since it also functioned as a replacement for the 2412N.  Full local web UI, even, you could have built a stack of networking modules into an ISY and used it as a PLM out of the box.

Not sure how many of those are still kicking around though, most I've heard of in the US ended up getting swapped for 2245 hubs due to 2242 failures.

Archived