Alexa Cannot Find "Some" Devices, Sometimes.

KHouse

I’ve got a bit of an issue and was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot.

I’ve got and ISY994i running Insteon devices, tied to MobiLinc and Alexa (MobiLinc portal in the ISY).

My voice control through the Alexa was getting a bit spotty.  Some voice controls worked, some didn’t, and some that didn’t work one day would work again an hour later without problems.

For example, “Alexa, turn on the kitchen hall light”.  This would work fine one day, not work the next, or not work but an hour later I’d try and it would work fine.

Finally decided to troubleshoot this today for good as many of the lights weren’t working (but some still were).

In the Amazon account, I could see that ½ of my lights weren’t showing as discovered devices (that’s why they wouldn’t work).  How/why they would come back on their own, I have no idea.  Some of the devices showing were devices that didn’t work yesterday.  So they are sometimes recognized and sometimes not.

I tried to discover all.  Found no new devices.  Confirmed Mobilinc portal shows good in the ISY (under configuration>portal).  Refreshed anyway.  Removed all devices from Alexa.  Disabled the Mobilinc skill.  Re-enabled the Mobilinc skill and tried to discover devices, but it only discovers the other Amazon devices and a printer I have, but none of the Insteon light switches (through ISY).

Any idea what I can try to have Alexa recognize these devices through Mobilinc/ISY?

*To add a weird bit to it.  Under the discovered devices I did not have “Kitchen Hall Light”.  But if I scroll down in the Alexa app, that light did show under a different icon (more devices listed there).  I could turn it on/off through the Alexa app (which I didn’t know was a thing as I never looked there or used that app to turn lights on/off as I just use Mobilinc).  So the Alexa app see's the device, and can control it, but doesn't recognize it as a voice control device?

It's hard to tell by your word choice, 

19 hours ago, KHouse said:

tied to MobiLinc and Alexa (MobiLinc portal in the ISY).

Are you saying you are using "Mobilinc Connect" or the "ISY Portal" (aka: my.isy.io) to connect your ISY to Alexa servers?

4 hours ago, MrBill said:

It's hard to tell by your word choice, 

Are you saying you are using "Mobilinc Connect" or the "ISY Portal" (aka: my.isy.io) to connect your ISY to Alexa servers?

I am using the Mobilinc Connect portal to talk to Alexa (not the ISY portal to Alexa).

Sort of a resolution though.

I deleted all devices in the Alexa app, disabled the skill, and re-started the ISY.  No luck.  But, in honor of "sales guy vs. IT guy" Youtube video from 10 years ago where the IT guy jokes/tricks the sales guy into restarting his computer 3 times to fix a technical issue...I did just that.  Repeated the disable and re-connect/discover 3 times, and on the 3rd time it found all devices and everything works as it should again.

Archived