ALL OFF button in toggle mode

Chuck

I have been working on a "ALL OFF" scene using toggle mode on the KPL button. Why? Because I'd like the button to reflect the status of whether or not all lights are actually off. Here's what I've done:

1) Created an "ALL OFF (program-activated)" scene with all the appropriate devices as reponders and a program within folders which have conditions for time because I want the kitchen sink light to go off during the day, but go to 30% at night while all other devices get turned off (when the ALL OFF button is pressed). This works - cool!

Does this make scense, or should I just include all the devices to be turned off in the program vs. the program activating the scene?

2) Created an "ALL OFF LED Status" scene which only includes the "ALL OFF" KPL button as a responder.

3) Created an "ALL OFF LED" program with "If" conditions checking the status of all the devices with loads. I used "If Status 'Office Light' is not Off - Or status '___' is not Off.....Then Set Scene 'ALL OFF LED Status' Off"

The idea is so after pressing "ALL OFF" the LED is on, but when any device is turned on the LED goes off.

The problem is that it only works some of time and now when I press "ALL OFF" it blinks several times before the LED turns on. I suspect this is because of the Insteon traffic, so I was looking for a way to delay the "ALL OFF LED" program, but couldn't find a way. This all seems a bit complicated for this to work properly, but this was the main reason for trying the ISY vs. HouseLinc. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Chuck

The general approach you are taking good; if you have a number of devices you want to turn on or off then use a scene rather than turn on/off each device individually in a program.

I'm not sure I'm following this completely, but it sounds like what you could try putting a 'Wait 2 seconds' before the turning the LED off.

Then
       Wait  2 seconds
       Set  Scene 'All Off LED Status' Off

The 'wait' action appears to have fixed the problem. I do sometimes get problems with programs not initiating, particularly when using 'fast on' or 'fast off' as a condition.

Is it "best practice" or necessary to use a 1-2 second 'wait' before an action in a program?

I placed all my devices and KPL buttons in a scene, but since I want the devices AND KPL LEDs to turn off when the 'all off' button is ON, I created a program to turn off the scene when the button is pressed.

In a case like this, is it "best practice" to use a scene with the 'all off' button functioning as a controller for the devices and the program to correct the KPL LEDs vs. a program-activated scene as I'm now using?

Thanks!

Chuck

The 'wait' action appears to have fixed the problem. I do sometimes get problems with programs not initiating, particularly when using 'fast on' or 'fast off' as a condition.

Is it "best practice" or necessary to use a 1-2 second 'wait' before an action in a program?

I placed all my devices and KPL buttons in a scene, but since I want the devices AND KPL LEDs to turn off when the 'all off' button is ON, I created a program to turn off the scene when the button is pressed.

In a case like this, is it "best practice" to use a scene with the 'all off' button functioning as a controller for the devices and the program to correct the KPL LEDs vs. a program-activated scene as I'm now using?

Thanks!

Chuck

If you use the button to turn off all the devices it will also turn on all the devices. It would also not allow you to leave one light on. It would take the ISY out of the equation, except for controlling the LEDs and turning the one light back on.

Rand

Archived