ISY Scenes with Hue Lights

Jordan Scott
Go to solution Solved by vbPhil,

Hello!

I’ve searched the forums for related answers, and didn’t find anything. If I’ve missed the answer elsewhere, sorry!! Please simply provide the link. No need to re-create the wheel here!

Here is my scenario:

I’m running Polsy v3.0.63 and ISY v5.4.4 . I have the Hue Node v0.1.11 (by xKing) installed (from the PG3 Node Server Store). My goal is to have ISY scenes, that include Hue lights, and have the scenes adjusted/triggered by controllers (Insteon Switches) within the scenes. As an example:

1398999624_ScreenShot2022-07-11at6_48_58PM.png.0c2239de96c4089e741102e6a861e024.png

I have the Insteon paddle switch called “L1 – Great Room – Cans” as a Controller for this scene, with the Hue lights all as responders. Based upon the screen shot above, when the scene is triggered (via the included switch), I would expect the ramp rate of the switch (2sec) and the brightness (50%) of the switch to be applied. In addition, I would expect Great Room Can 2 (a Hue bulb, in an always hot socket) to be set to the color red, and the remaining Hue bulbs to go to their default setting. However, this is the not the actual behavior. The switch mimics the “Fast On” behavior, and all hue lights in the scene simply go on to the last on setting. What is interesting is I am able to adjust the brightness of the Hue lights, via the Insteon Paddle, and if I trigger the scene via the ISY or Mobile app directly, the scene is applied correctly.

Any thoughts? I feel like I am missing something stupid here. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

~J

• Solution

Just a thought that you are probably already aware of, but the ISY is always a scene controller as well as any other controllers added to the scene. Each controller has its own set of parameters so when you select that controller in the Admin Console its settings are displayed and can be adjusted. Make sure that all your controllers for the scene have the same settings or whatever is desired.

image.jpeg.fa8fba6a49dc8e19b734aaffe960cd96.jpeg

Thank you @vbphil!!! This was actually half of my issue. I had forgotten about each "controller" in a scene can have separate settings!

What this doesn't fix, is the locally applied ramp rate and dim level. I can't even adjust it for some reason in the scene, see below:1177880760_ScreenShot2022-07-12at11_36_39AM.png.8b09d00185d923c2afefe3ef9588309b.png

Thoughts? Thanks again for your help!

2 hours ago, Jordan Scott said:

What this doesn't fix, is the locally applied ramp rate and dim level. I can't even adjust it for some reason in the scene, see below:

I personally use Network Resources to turn my "Hue scenes" on and off.

So, I tried your example where you add the Hue node (light) to an ISY scene. With that it looks like you're only able to set one command on the Hue light for the scene. I don't see how that is much useful. Also, I'm not sure what "default" means. Where would the default values be set?

image.jpeg.34f7250fcd02fc3c040243dbc6770c11.jpeg

Edited by vbphil
It is useful. Selecting some of the commands like Color XY you can set the color, brightness, transition time.
21 minutes ago, Jordan Scott said:

Thank you @vbphil!!! This was actually half of my issue. I had forgotten about each "controller" in a scene can have separate settings!

What this doesn't fix, is the locally applied ramp rate and dim level. I can't even adjust it for some reason in the scene, see below:1177880760_ScreenShot2022-07-12at11_36_39AM.png.8b09d00185d923c2afefe3ef9588309b.png

Thoughts? Thanks again for your help!

I just realized what you were showing in your image. you've got a controller selected and there's no parameters showing. What do you have selected in Navigator (left hand panel)?

Figured it out!

For whatever reason (still don't know) devices that were added into an ISY Scene that contained Hue devices, got "reset". Their ramp rate and dim level were reset. I didn't realize it, but once I did, and adjusted it (from the device properties outside of the scene), it worked as intended.

Super weird! Thanks everyone for the help!

Jordan