Potentially a challenge for superusers: Problem running "Network Resources"

majmarker

For all the "Network Resource" gurus..  This is potentially a tough one..  Yes - I searched for the answer here first, and finally gave up.  Literally spent hours on this.

I have 45 Network Resources currently, all work fine.  All of them fire off HTTP Gets to a local system (same LAN) (a Philips Hue hub).

However, when I try to create a new Network Resource to a public website (IFTTT, zapier, UptimeRobot, et.al), all FAIL.

This is extremely frustrating.  I have tried every possible HTTP protocol type (Get/Post/Put etc) that websites will accept for webhooks, and the "Test" runs FAIL for every config.  I also tried checking/unchecking all the checkboxes in the config window, tried Gets/Puts/Posts as HTTP and HTTPS (with the proper port numbers plugged in), to no avail.  Same or similar error messages as shown in my photos here.

NOW - please know that ALL of these webhooks work just fine if I cut and paste them into a simple web browser URL bar.  The servers all give a "successful" response, which is why I'm hating my ISY at the moment. 

Side question for the firmware developers:  After using this for over 10 years, why doesn't the ISY Network Resource creation window have a "simple browser URL input" option, that will emulate whatever the heck a standard modern web browser (Chromium etc?) GET is doing, and just send it!  People are given webhooks as a whole/single string and not all this protocol/encoding detail to send to their servers, yet this dialog box doesn't have a field to accept the URL as a simple full length URL with all defaults assumed!  I really hate how I can't simply paste the entire webhook in as a single URL.  Once I start breaking the URL apart into domain, protocol, http/https, path etc types, this increases the chance of errors, and something is failing.  I feel like I have to know HTTPS protocol inside and out, plus all the possible HTTP headers to send, just to send a dang webhook!  even one without any JSON variables!  thanks for letting me vent.

Yes I took the time to go download and re-read the "Home Automation Cookbook?, and followed it step by step to build an IFTTT webhook, and it failed.  I noticed this cookbook didn't tell me the "Encode URL" checkbox state, which was frustrating.

And as you'll see, this failure error message is really worthless guys.  When I download a "Log" file and open it in Excel, it has nothing about this failure in it!  frustrating again.

Heck I even updated from 4.6.6 to 5.3.4 today to see if this would fix it, OR if the error messages would be more helpful.  No joy.

I assume "Internet Access:  Disabled" is because I use Mobilinc, correct?

Anyone seen this before?  Appreciate any help!

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 5.31.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 5.25.48 PM.png

This is an example of just one of the webhooks that fails with the error message attached.  A simple one-way et webhook to uptimerobot.  This works FINE when dropped into a browser URL bar:

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 5.02.47 PM.png

This is the canned error I'm getting to all external Network Resource tests:

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 5.02.04 PM.png

Edited by majmarker
2 minutes ago, majmarker said:

'll leave this thread here in case anyone else needs it..

Thank you.  I am just starting to work with NR some and was keeping an eye on this thread.

Looks like you had some rubber duck debugging on this one!😀